Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

New character

SeanC.

Well i feel im onto something with this new character. I know he looks like alot of other animated characters out there but im proud of him. He will be fun to animate when i finish his body. Let me know what you all think! SeanC.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like you need to declare some 5 point patches on his forehead. Looks good but there's a lot tweaking that needs to be done to make his whole head a big smooth surface. good luck! (you may also want to add porcelain: right click on materials choose import then find the data section on the Hash CD, under Materials>Geometry>Porcelain.mat, then apply it to your model. It works best when you save it to the file where the project is saved, this will help w/ the smoothing) Zack

[quote]I would also agree with Jim.  Trust me, most of modeling is actually the smoothing prossess (at least for me).  The more you tweak, the better you'll get at it.  Great start.[/quote] I agree completely, well almost. At some point you've just got to stop and accept that it's fine. I could tweak for years, but what would that do for me, and sometimes too much tweaking (as in, in excess of a couple of weeks for cp tweaking) can be bad.

im bad like that...i continually tweak and tweak. At some point you just gotta stop. Ill try that porcelain thing out and ill definitely keep on smoothing his face. Thanks for the comments. More is definitely appreciated! SeanC.

A little prgress has been made. The smoothing continues and will up until the day i animate with it im sure. Let me know what you folks in the HASH community think. I really appreciate all the feedback you guys have been giving! Thanks again. SeanC.

Heres a little more progress. I havent smoothed the shins yet but i will. I was just anxious too see him with arms. I think he is pretty well modeled for animation, not just looks. Let me know how you folks think he looks!!! Im grateful for all the responses so far! Thanks, SeanC.

Hey Sean, I don't mean any offense, but I could have sworn that this character had a moustache and beard when he was uncolored. If not, then I think he has some very funky facial features. It could be just what you want. That would be your creative call, but it's a little hard to understand the facial structure around the mouth and chin to me. It's funny how we can see different things when looking at the same thing. Jim

[quote name='JTalbotski' date='Jan 12 2004, 05:24 AM']Hey Sean, I don't mean any offense, but I could have sworn that this character had a moustache and beard when he was uncolored. If not, then I think he has some very funky facial features. It could be just what you want. That would be your creative call, but it's a little hard to understand the facial structure around the mouth and chin to me. It's funny how we can see different things when looking at the same thing. Jim[/quote] You are not alone here. I got the same impression also and thought he was shootoing for a Captain Ahab look. :)

I was wondering the same thing about his chest...ill definitely fix that first thing. As far as his facial features go, im going for a muscular chiseled look. THis guy is gonna be your typical cocky gym kind of guy who you just want to shutup. For some reaso i felt a protruding jaw was appropriate. Ill rework his face a little and smooth it out so its not so awkward. Keep these critiques coming!!! SeanC.

• 4 weeks later...

From: Katie Holden wtfovr52@yahoo.com Date: 2004-2-8 05:03:55 -- I really like the mother. I also keep the movie of the baby around when I need a pick me up. Katie Shaun Freeman wrote: Hi everyone, I've started working on the next character for my project/short film 'the cuckoo'. If people are interested in having a look, I've posted a 360 degree quicktime on my WIP page. Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated before I really get into the texturing and rigging. (ie. If I make changes, I'd prefer to make them earlier than later) In any case, any comments would be welcome. Click on the 'mother wren' link [url="http://www.shaunfreeman.com/wip.htm"]http://www.shaunfreeman.com/wip.htm[/url] -- Shaun Freeman www.shaunfreeman.com A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. -- Matz's Maxim === Animaster Mailing list === Unsubscribe and other options @ www.hash.com/support/maillist.asp = ---------------------------Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Finance: Get your refund fast by filing online Html-Removed .

From: "Shaun Freeman" shaunfree@optusnet.com.au Date: 2004-2-9 08:40:50 Thanks for taking the time to comment!! TO answer a few questions, I'll post a couple of wireframes as soon as I get a moment, I'm leaning towards texturing her body using decals rather than feathers, as when I add feathers she ends up looking a bit like a gorilla with a beak. If I can figure out a way of placing feathers so that it looks good I will though.... Re: her beak, I'll try and make the beak/face separation a little more definate. I really appreciate peoples positive comments. I'll post more detail as it gets done. Cheers -- Shaun Freeman www.shaunfreeman.com A couple of months in the laboratory can frequently save a couple of hours in the library. -- Westheimer's Discovery

From: "Shaun Freeman" shaunfree@optusnet.com.au Date: 2004-2-9 09:10:00 Re: the design. I sketched them first and then modelled them. I'll post some copies of the sketches I did if people are interested -- Shaun Freeman www.shaunfreeman.com "I don't feel good." - The last words of Luther Burbank (1849-1926) -----Original Message----- From: list-errors@hash.com [mailto:list-errors@hash.com] On Behalf Of josema Sent: Monday, 9 February 2004 6:56 AM To: animaster@animationmaster.com Subject: Re: New character From: josema : : Shaun: I must say I was very impressed with the design of the characters for your short. As far as design goes, they seem to work very well. I like the proportions alot. The thing that I like the most is the fact that, although it's a cartoon style, you've been able to achieve a certain quality in the models that really make'em shine. I wonder, did you sketch'em out first on paper, or did you work straight on AM? I really would like to see a wireframe of the models. Again, Good Job! *** View Entire Thread @ [url="http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3D3402&view=3Dgetnewpost"]http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...ew=3Dgetnewpost[/url] Hash, Inc. Forums [url="http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php"]http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php[/url] =3D=3D=3D Animaster Mailing list =3D=3D=3D Unsubscribe and other options @ www.hash.com/support/maillist.asp =3D=3D=3D .

From: Katie Holden wtfovr52@yahoo.com Date: 2004-2-9 03:37:37 -- I would be very interested in seeing the proccess that you went through. Katie Shaun Freeman wrote: Re: the design. I sketched them first and then modelled them. I'll post some copies of the sketches I did if people are interested -- Shaun Freeman www.shaunfreeman.com "I don't feel good." - The last words of Luther Burbank (1849-1926) -----Original Message----- From: list-errors@hash.com [mailto:list-errors@hash.com] On Behalf Of josema Sent: Monday, 9 February 2004 6:56 AM To: animaster@animationmaster.com Subject: Re: New character From: josema : : Shaun: I must say I was very impressed with the design of the characters for your short. As far as design goes, they seem to work very well. I like the proportions alot. The thing that I like the most is the fact that, although it's a cartoon style, you've been able to achieve a certain quality in the models that really make'em shine. I wonder, did you sketch'em out first on paper, or did you work straight on AM? I really would like to see a wireframe of the models. Again, Good Job! *** View Entire Thread @ [url="http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3402&view=getnewpost"]http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...view=getnewpost[/url] Hash, Inc. Forums [url="http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php"]http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php[/url] === Animaster Mailing list === Unsubscribe and other options @ www.hash.com/support/maillist.asp == ---------------------------Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Finance: Get your refund fast by filing online Html-Removed .

From: "Freeman, Shaun" shaunfree@optusnet.com.au Date: 2004-2-10 11:28:58 No worries. As soon as I get a moment, I'll post some wireframes and sketches to my website. -- Shaun Freeman www.shaunfreeman.com "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work." - Robert Orben >I would be very interested in seeing the proccess that you went through. >Katie >>Shaun Freeman wrote: >>Re: the design. I sketched them first and then modelled them. I'll post some >>copies of the sketches I did if people are interested >>-- >>Shaun Freeman >>www.shaunfreeman.com >>"I don't feel good." >>- The last words of Luther Burbank (1849-1926)