Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

2007 New Users Forum Raffle

Rodney

• Admin

Each year for the past few years the New Users Forum has ran a raffle.

This year there is no \'New Users\' Forum per se and the raffle is changing a little.

The goals of the raffle are threefold:

1) Encourage New Users to join in the community

2) Encourage completion of the exercises in the manual (The Art of Animation:Master)

3) Get into Animation:Master!

My plan is to run three raffles. You can win more than one but how likely is that?

First raffle will be a $50 gift certificate at the Hash Inc online store. (My recommendation... a SIGGRAPH video!)

Eligiblity requirements:

- Must be a 2007 subscriber (Oz characters on the CD)

- Post in this topic so I can add you to the raffle

Addendum:

- TaoA:M alumni get two raffle tickets apiece (TaoA:M certification has benefits!)

Date of first raffle: 15 Feb 07*

Interested?

Only a few more days until the first 2007 raffle! :)

*Date adjust. Read info below.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin
Rodney I will join this raffle. What do I need to do?

I think you've just done all you need to do for the moment.

The only thing you could do to improve your odds is complete TaoA:M and/or keep other people from posting in this topic.

As of right now (should no one else enter) you'd be the winner. :P

For you lurkers out there this is prime time to 'decloak' and introduce yourself to the A:M Community.

Rodney I will join this raffle. What do I need to do?

I think you've just done all you need to do for the moment.

The only thing you could do to improve your odds is complete TaoA:M and/or keep other people from posting in this topic.

As of right now (should no one else enter) you'd be the winner. :P

For you lurkers out there this is prime time to 'decloak' and introduce yourself to the A:M Community.

How do I enter into the Community and would I post the things I have done in TAo:AM in this forum?

• Admin

Ooops. I thought I responded a long time ago to your last. Apologies for the delay.

Post your exercises in the TaoA:M forum area.

It use to be under 'New Users' but has since been separated which I think it a great idea.

The Art of Animation:Master Forum

If you ever lose track of it look for it under the Users Forum.

How do I enter into the Community?

Martin Hash refers to the A:M Community as the chat program within A:M.

For me the A:M Community will always be the people.

Now if those people want to chat they'll find that under the View menu; View>Community

From there establish a login and just join in the chat.

Trust me... there is no requirement to chat to be entered into the raffle. ;)

I do recommend you join in and ask questions here in the forum... share your experience... help others as you learn. Now THAT is entering into the Community. :)

Rodney, I would like to enter for the raffle as well.

I am totally new to animation and am just browsing to find if I am at a right place. I am trying to develop animation as my hobby.

I would appreciate a direction also.

Thanks,

docinfort

Each year for the past few years the New Users Forum has ran a raffle.

This year there is no 'New Users' Forum per se and the raffle is changing a little.

The goals of the raffle are threefold:

1) Encourage New Users to join in the community

2) Encourage completion of the exercises in the manual (The Art of Animation:Master)

3) Get into Animation:Master!

My plan is to run three raffles. You can win more than one but how likely is that?

First raffle will be a $50 gift certificate at the Hash Inc online store. (My recommendation... a SIGGRAPH video!)

Eligiblity requirements:

- Must be a 2007 subscriber (Oz characters on the CD)

- Post in this topic so I can add you to the raffle

Addendum:

- TaoA:M alumni get two raffle tickets apiece (TaoA:M certification has benefits!)

Date of first raffle: 31 Jan 07

Interested?

Only a few more days until the first 2007 raffle! :)

• Admin
I am totally new to animation and am just browsing to find if I am at a right place.
I take it you are a proud owner of Animation:Master?

If you are then you are definitely in the right place.

I am trying to develop animation as my hobby.

I would appreciate a direction also.

You said the magic words. I'm a 'hobbyist' myself.

Hobbyist seems to have taken on the form of a curse word in some circles but its much more than that my friend. The Hobbyists of today are the New Studios of tomorrow and we have yet to be reckoned with!

So make yourself at home.

Welcome to the Animation:Master Community! :)

• Admin

Welcome to the A:M Community Pip!

As of this exact moment your chances of winning this raffle are impressive; a 1 in 3 chance! :)

Subtract any non-2007 users and you might as well claim your prize.

A few more days to go on this one though.

Hello I'm a new user. wouldnt mind getting in on the raffle if I may. :rolleyes:

I'm using V9.5 atm, but I just put in an order for the 2007 upgrade.

I did these today

projects.zip

I used the zip videos from the tutorials page.

1.Director

2.Chorus Line- (can can 2)

3.Move It

4.It's a Pitch- I did a batter's swing instead of a pitch

5.Take a Walk- This was the most frustrating one so far, lining up the feet so it flowed right. I was going to fix it but I liked the Road Runner feel of it lol.

6. The Door's Stuck- Gonna attempt this one tommorrow.

7.Can You Say That?- I had to fix the 1st "secret's" timing as the mouth didn't sync ( but oddly it did with the 2nd one). I added a few gestures, I was pretty happy even though its really rough :P . I just included the Action file since the actual movie is 18mb.

• Admin

Al and Skrilla. You are in with only a few days remaining! Good on ya.

Skrilla,

I know you are going to be happy when you give v13 a try... and v14 is waiting for you in the wings.

There have been so many enhancements to A:M in the past 5 years its hard to begin to list them.

'Stitching' alone is going to be worth the upgrade for you.

Great to see you here in the forum.

• Admin
Sorry, clicked reply twice
Elliot is trying to rig the contest!!!

Alright. You are all in.

But if Elliot wins... it ain't my fault.

When will the draw be?

Its looking like oh... about... 15* days.

*tick*tick*tick*

*Edited to reduce confusion.

• Admin

For reasons that should become very evident to upgrading A:M users soon... the first raffle of 2007 is being pushed back to 15 February.

Those that enter in one raffle... are automatically entered in all. :)

My apologies for adjusting the date but I have a very good reason.

The main intent is to allow max participation and meet the goals I set forth in my first post.

• Admin

The 2007 raffle is off and running again.

Why the delay?

I had heard the 2007 A:M flyer was going to be mailed out and wanted everyone to have a chance to enter.

As this raffle is only open to 2007 users those that don't frequent the forum, see the flyer and purchase an upgrade can still have time to sign on.

If you have not yet seen the flyer you can find it here: http://www.hash.com/am2007/

Pretty slick.

10 more days until the drawing!

The 2007 raffle is off and running again.

Why the delay?

I had heard the 2007 A:M flyer was going to be mailed out and wanted everyone to have a chance to enter.

As this raffle is only open to 2007 users those that don't frequent the forum, see the flyer and purchase an upgrade can still have time to sign on.

If you have not yet seen the flyer you can find it here: http://www.hash.com/am2007/

Pretty slick.

10 more days until the drawing!

This my first time posting... I hope I'm doing it right. I loved your demo at SIGGRAPH and bought a copy there but still haven't had the time to put into using it. 3d is a little intimidating. I'm from an Avid/Final Cut Pro background but have always wanted to do animation... not as easy as it looks... then again, neither is what I do. Thank you for your time in putting up tutorials to help us newbies. Is there a way to start AM without putting in the master disk every time?

If It's not too late, I'd like to be included in this. I just upgraded to 2007 and will probably be a newbie for life. i'm not an artist, though I love the idea that I can have this kind of software on my home computer and I SOOOO want to learn it,but I've never made the time (I've been on board since around 2004). I tried about 6 months ago, and got stuck around Tao:AM Exercise 6 or 7 (the comprehensive project). Everything up to that point "seemed" easy, but putting it all together for me was difficult. I'm going to start again from exercise 1 and see if I can get any better this time around.

I know I can use a new SIGGRAPH training DVD, as I've seen some pretty neat tricks done that I've learned from in some of the past DVDs.

-Rob

• Admin
3d is a little intimidating. I'm from an Avid/Final Cut Pro background but have always wanted to do animation... not as easy as it looks... then again, neither is what I do.

Allow me a moment of jealousy here.

I wish I could write a sentence like that about myself. :)

3d is a little intimidating.
It can be. Especially if you try to do it all yourself.

Thats the great thing about the A:M Forum. You don't have to do it all alone.

Anyone who thinks they do... is lyin' to themselves. ;)

Is there a way to start AM without putting in the master disk every time?

No and Yes. The CD is a security measure to keep your investment safe.

Without it there is no way Hash Inc keep keep their cost so low.

Constant in/out of the CD can be frustrating. I feel your pain.

There are several remedies available.

You can purchase a USB dongle/hasp. It takes the place of the CD.

Contact Hash Inc if that sounds like an option you'd like to pursue.

As there are resources on the CD you will most likely want to access keep in mind that you'll still use it from time to time.

I went the USB route several years back but felt more comfortable with the CD. Hash Inc updates their software enough that made it worthwhile for me. Adding the USB dongle just added an extra layer of complication to an otherwise easy process.

I found just downloading the basic update was faster, easier and did the job.

I rarely notice the CD in the drive anymore.

Some people purchase another (or external) CD/DVD drive.

These are so cheap these days I might just have to do that!

My main computer these days only has one CD/DVD drive and that's becoming quite the pain.

Make yourself at home here in the forum.

Oh yeah... You've been added to the raffle. :)

Hi, please add me to the raffle! I placed an order for the 2007 version yesterday (Mon, Feb 5).

I'm intrigued by this TWO project, I hope at the very least it gets showings at the major (and minor) film festivals and a possible public DVD release could be done thru www.customflix.com (that'll get you on Amazon.com as well). Once I'm up to speed I'd like to chip in and help with what I can (might be more fun than playing WOW in my spare time, what little there is :lol: ).

My main interest in A:M is DVD menus/menu-transitions and operational demos for instructional videos, though I've always had an interest in the nuts & bolts of computer animation. I first found out about A:M at a Videomaker Expo in Burbank, CA a few years ago, I was impressed by what I saw!

Thanks,

James

PS- I wasn't able to find a trailer video for TWO, is there one out yet?

3d is a little intimidating. I'm from an Avid/Final Cut Pro background but have always wanted to do animation... not as easy as it looks... then again, neither is what I do.

Allow me a moment of jealousy here.

I wish I could write a sentence like that about myself. :)

3d is a little intimidating.
It can be. Especially if you try to do it all yourself.

Thats the great thing about the A:M Forum. You don't have to do it all alone.

Anyone who thinks they do... is lyin' to themselves. ;)

Is there a way to start AM without putting in the master disk every time?

No and Yes. The CD is a security measure to keep your investment safe.

Without it there is no way Hash Inc keep keep their cost so low.

Constant in/out of the CD can be frustrating. I feel your pain.

There are several remedies available.

You can purchase a USB dongle/hasp. It takes the place of the CD.

Contact Hash Inc if that sounds like an option you'd like to pursue.

As there are resources on the CD you will most likely want to access keep in mind that you'll still use it from time to time.

I went the USB route several years back but felt more comfortable with the CD. Hash Inc updates their software enough that made it worthwhile for me. Adding the USB dongle just added an extra layer of complication to an otherwise easy process.

I found just downloading the basic update was faster, easier and did the job.

I rarely notice the CD in the drive anymore.

Some people purchase another (or external) CD/DVD drive.

These are so cheap these days I might just have to do that!

My main computer these days only has one CD/DVD drive and that's becoming quite the pain.

Make yourself at home here in the forum.

Oh yeah... You've been added to the raffle. :)

Thank you so much. I think that I'll reconnect an old cd reader to my computer and just keep the disk in there so that I don't have to go searching for it. I know what a hassle the dongles can be, although its nice when I have to go back and forth from my laptop to my tower. I do that with Logic and it works great. I'm going to put some time into drilling myself with the tutorials. Thanks again!

Addendum:

By apiece do you mean 2 tickets per exercise completed, 2 if you have done any, or 2 if you have completed them all?

Say I did projects 1-9, would I get :

18, 2, or 0? :blink:

• Admin
By apiece do you mean 2 tickets per exercise completed, 2 if you have done any, or 2 if you have completed them all?

One for entering and one for completing TaoA:M.

So... Two total is the max anyone can get.

Sorry... partial credit for TaoA:M doesn't count.

...and the winner is?

(to be announced tomorrow) :)

A great big "Thanks" to all who took the time to post.

Any posts after this one will be applied toward the next drawing.

Oh my word.

My A:M was ordered on 6th Feb, but only despatched yesterday.

I suppose I should be thankful that it only took 24 hours to get to the UK. Looks like I missed the boat on this raffle... :angry:

• 2 weeks later...
daaaaaaaaang im 2006 in august....... dang lol

Maybe we'll adjust the second raffle to include all A:M Users. (I'm an inclusive kind of guy)

How'd that be? :)

ok I'm in, but only if you don't need 2007, I'm still learning the basics :)

I believe I fall into this catagory, being I am new to using AM. I believe I have the 2007 CD, but not absolute being I bought it late last December. It does have TWO chars on the face, and if I read correctly that signifies having the 07 CD.

I would like to be in the next raffle.

• Admin

Okay... here we are at the March Raffle.

I'll get right to the point; I messed up.

Now I'm going to try to fix everything.

Without going into the boring details I'll just say I have my February and March winners.

February's winner is Rob Wilkens.

March's winner? Elliot Clem

Now here is where things start to get interesting.

Rob Wilkens has to make a decision.

He can choose as his prize a SIGGRAPH video *or* he can choose to trade his winnings for the currently unspecified March prize.

Should Ron keep his February winnings and let Eliot take the SIGGRAPH videos home?

Should he let Elliot wait for his prize until April or wait until then himself?

Someones got some decidin' to do and it surely isn't me.

Ron?

Elliot?

Everyone else?

Who's moving on to win the April Raffle?

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this in another thread before knew about the raffle, so here it is again.

Hey everyone, I got Animation Master a while back because it was recommended to me by an industry professional who has since won an Oscar (not with A:M, but he recommended it for me because it's less expensive than whatever they use). I went to grade school with the fellow 25 years ago and in a 5th grade class we animated the old fashioned way. stop-motion. Well, I've been too busy workin' to get anywhere with A:M until now, but, inspired by this old friend, I just got the upgrade to the newest version and I'm rarin' to go.

-Roger