Hash, Inc. Forums

Car for crit.

John Keates

• Hash Fellow

well once you say you're being impractical... anything goes, right? ;) is this a rear engine car? that would explain the lack of air intake on the front. a rear bumper and exhaust pipes would add some detail to the back. Or a rocket engine! And a rocket engine covered over with a continental kit would be the height of impractical :D Maybe add some side rear-view mirrors too. Cadillac once did a show-car with a genuine leopard-skin interior. that would be spiffy. if this car belongs to a real poser, it needs to have one of those XM antenna shark fins on top. :lol:

Thanks for the replys guys. I wasn't given email notification of them for some reason so I thought nobody was responding. Mike: Yes, it isn't too bad now that I look at it. It is when you get closer up that it starts to loose focus but I am not sure if that will show in animation. Dearmad: Yes the wheels are seperate. That is one thing that I need to improve. Does anyone know of a good free wheel model? robcat2075: He he :) I do often go for the realy whacky designs. I did mean to go further than I ended up doing so maybe a few more flash details are in order. I am not sure about the rocket engine though. R_Reynolds: Thanks for the tutorials. I should have had a good look through those before I started. One thing that I should have done was to use a rotoscope. I had a drawing but was to impatient to get it into the computer. This realy back-fired when I realised that I had dont the whole thing out of proportion and had to squich it about a lot. Those blueprints will be realy handy.

I'm not an expert on mechanical modeling, but I think the area by the door is way too indented. Other than that, I think it feels plastic. That's probably just the mat you are using for now though :).

Hi John! Looks racy,..... I am a big fan of mech modeling as well as the organic and it looks like you made everything in one piece (except the back fin). You do this with organics cause when a model is animated the other parts have to move in sympathy which is what splines are best at! Mechanical models have 'by nature' sudden and drastic changes in shape direction, so when you make something from one pice it's difficult to get a full rigid look, all the splines are influencing each other and everything comes out a bit rubbery. I wouldn't say this except you made the comment yourself (bumpy). One approach to make your life easier is to split up the parts and let them float and run into each other where necessary, bones will keep them perfectly aligned. It doesn't matter if you are making a realistic model or a noddy car, to get that full look in a one piece model is very difficult and time consuming. I can't recommend Rodger Reynolds link to mech modeling in AM enough, it was a revelation to me. Kind regards,

Thanks people Zaryn: Yes, I agree with you about the door. I will fix that. Mike Lium: I looked on the site. Most of the weels there are fairly basic. I am not sure how much detail I will go into yet. I will have to work those storyboards out before deciding. kanga: I have learned a lot making this car and one of my first mistakes was in making the thing in one lump. I only detached the door near the end when I realised that it had to open at some point. It is looking rubbery as you say. It is like it was vacuum formed or something. Maybe if I add more splines I could sharpen things up a little.

Hoi John I am sure it's going to be a ripping model! What I meant by detaching was, for example you could make your basic box with as many patches as you think you need, then manipulate the box into a basic car shape with the deformer box, then for the windshield (which is always nasty :) ) cut and copy, destroy the original wind shield on you box, move your new one in and place it a little back (or deeper than the original), correct the mags and biases of the splines cause now they are broken. Select the windshield hole edges on your chassis, extrude and move them into the model for depth (correct these too), and you will have a continuation of shape with a sudden change in direction, only the windshield is floating but you have that nice edge detail. You are actually starting with a basic shape and altering the panel depths, manipulating mag and spline biases lets you keep shape integrity. Probably more info than you wanted but I came up against it myself. Lately been doing quite a bit of product design and visualization in AM and the Reynolds link got me out of hot water more than once! Kind regards,

Kanga: Thanks for the description. I probably wouldn't have thought of doing it that way. I will give it a go next time. Iham Wrong: Nice idea! In fact, I may well be able to use it. The owner of the car is a yuppy who loves his office toys. A toy version of his car on his desk will go well with his personality.

Here is the latest render. I have made some of the suggested improvements. What I would like to know is: What sticks out the most when you first look at it? I am aware that it is still a little lumpy but I don't want to spend too long on it. It is just a prop really. It will be used in scenes where it is moving or where the focus is on the driver. It is not meant as an example of mechanical modeling or car design. However, on the other hand it would be nice to get it looking as good as possible so if you think that it might be port-folio worthy with some more work then perhaps I should bash away at it some more. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Uh Oh, better get Maaco for that door. :) Overall it's looking pretty good. Perhaps just make the drivers side door open and fake the passenger's door with a bump map. I'll toss you a wrench for your monkey. :o Look at this slick little classy number. [url="http://www.cars.com/go/features/autoshows/vehicle.jsp?vehicletype=concept&autoshowyear=2004&vehicle=concept_chrysler_me_fourtwelve&aff=national"]http://www.cars.com/go/features/autoshows/...ve&aff=national[/url]

[quote name='zacktaich' date='Jan 21 2004, 11:52 PM'][quote]Ahhh!!! Revelatory perturbations. Bobs your uncle and no porkies![/quote] huh? [/quote] He he, I thought that I would come up with some obscurities of my own. A perturbation is a movement that is cuased by something. An example would be a ripple in a pond caused by a stone falling. A revelutery purtabation would be where someone has an insight for the first time and it sends ripples throught thier brain. "Bobs your unkle" is an expression that kind of means "there you go" A "porkie" or "porky" (which is how it should realy be spelt) is coceny rhyming slang. - Pork pie - lie. So "no porkies" means "no lies". This seems to be turning into an obscure language lesson. :blink: