Hash, Inc. Forums

Super Mario Film

Nunsofamerica

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job, d34th5t4r. (why did you have to put your name into 1337 sp34k? ) You've really nailed the look for those models. Is Shy Guy boned?

For my update: A simple goomba walk. (attached)

The eyes are giving me some trouble. Would anyone know how to restrict a bones movement? AKA 'you can turn anywhere within this angle but nowhere else' type deal?

Oh! Does he need eyebrows? & Should I do a sideways walk? (crabwalk type deal)

Critique away.

goombawalk.mov

shy guy isn't boned but that should be simple

i'm not sure what you are asking about with the eyes. Are you trying to lock down the eyes? When it comes to characters with eyes like goomba i like to surface constrain the pupil to the eye and then set the eyes to aim at 2 nulls.

Great job, d34th5t4r. (why did you have to put your name into 1337 sp34k? ) You've really nailed the look for those models. Is Shy Guy boned?

For my update: A simple goomba walk. (attached)

The eyes are giving me some trouble. Would anyone know how to restrict a bones movement? AKA 'you can turn anywhere within this angle but nowhere else' type deal?

Oh! Does he need eyebrows? & Should I do a sideways walk? (crabwalk type deal)

Critique away.

Awesome walking

i love your goomba

and then set the eyes to aim at 2 nulls

2 NULLS! DUDE! THAT'S CRAZY ENOUGH, IT JUST MIGHT WORK!

why didn't I think of that? -_-

One sideways walk comin' up. Soon.

Oh, and I meant to say, "Does he need eyelids?" Not eyebrows.

And the shyguy looks fine depth-wise. Unless our 'director' says otherwise.

Guys, just look at this!

I'm proud of myself, he's nice (tell me he's not and I'll smack you)

any suggestion for improvement?

mmmaaarrriiioooo.JPG

i love his hat. the best part i think

his hair in the back shouldnt be long like that

or is it hair. all you see is a little sticking out of the back of his hat and that is it

a little work on the nose too.

sorry but i gotta tell the truth no matter what the case. heres a list of complements and complaints:

complements:

nice hat

nice mustache

nice ear

decent mouth

complaints:

very rough

the eyes are very weird

the nose is side ways

the eye brows are deformed

the eye decal bothers me greatly

THE MODEL IS VERY ROUGH

how to fix it:

delete half of the face. work on that half and perfect it. line up the middle cps on the y grid line, make sure there right before or right on it,in any case they all should be lined up and straight.after every thing is done select every thing, right click then click "copy/flip/attach". as of the eyes the eye socket is all messed up. Mario's eyes are not round, there kinda flat at the bottom.get rid of the closed socket, all you need are some splines going inward in to the eye and spreading out not closing. shrink up that hair and make it stick to the back of the head more. get rid of the smile on the model that will make it easier to animate, trying to make a modeled smile go down to a frown is a challenge, a flat expression is best used. round up that ear a bit more I'm gonna have a list of plug ins to use at the end of this post. also the mustache needs to be closer to the mouth, Mario's mouth is covered with his mustache a little. don't worry about the eye decal I'll make one for you. I'll also make an "M" decal and bump map.

plz don't take this the wrong way, when i first started when i modeled my first head i re-modeled it 4 times before i was satisfied and thought it was practically commercial quality! i was very proud of my self that i had finally done it! it was my 4th but 8th model! you might not be as dedicated and a perfectionist as i am(only in my work and nothing else), but quality should always be top priority. personally i think this is only half way to acceptable...

Plugins that should help

good reference picture

super-mario-64-ds-20041028013239607.jpg

what exactly do you mean by "very rough"?

the eyes are very weird: the eyes are almost flat, I only gave then a small curve and, if I apply a decale on a flat eye, how will we make him look in any direction? If there is a way well I will change it...

what do you mean by "the nose is side ways"?

the eye brows are deformed-> I find the eye brows nice, I don't see how you can say that, the picture I showed barely shows them

the eye decal bothers me greatly->lol you's right, there is no decal (I have texturing)

btw, I already use copy/flip/attach

I'm gonna try what you said about the eye, the ear and the mouth...

about the plugins, I already checked that link but it doesn't seem of much help, any plugin you recommand most?

also, I though a newb mario would have been enough considering that most of the ppl in that team are newbs.

thats the ting the eye shouldn't be flat, the point the the eye description i gave is so that the eye can be round. the thing is the eye ball needs to be large so it can appear some what flat. and i mean rough by that fact that the model isn't smooth in nearly anyway, instead of seeing a gradient(light to dark) you see mix matched shades modeling the surface is bumpy and not smooth. also it doesn't matter if your a noob remember what i said earlier that was only my 4th model,out of a apple, a girl model(the model looked exactly like my drawing of it, back then that was a good/bad thing)and a sword(decent). what made me so determined for a smooth model was looking at other peoples work, o look at theirs and say"i suck!" i worked on that head till i had barely no complaints, and i still do that now. no matter how good you get, if some one else's work is better than yours then you suck :P ! your goal should be to suck as less as possible. as of now you want to get as close to the Mario in that picture as you possibly can!!!regardless of age or experience theres no excuse for your work to be bad or wrong or way off the target(not that I'm saying that your work is like that...)! if your serious about your work theres nothing stopping you from excellence! And that my people is what i stand for!!!!! anyone any age can be as good as that other guy no matter how long it takes!!!!

what exactly do you mean by "very rough"?

the eyes are very weird: the eyes are almost flat, I only gave then a small curve and, if I apply a decale on a flat eye, how will we make him look in any direction? If there is a way well I will change it...

what do you mean by "the nose is side ways"?

the eye brows are deformed-> I find the eye brows nice, I don't see how you can say that, the picture I showed barely shows them

the eye decal bothers me greatly->lol you's right, there is no decal (I have texturing)

btw, I already use copy/flip/attach

I'm gonna try what you said about the eye, the ear and the mouth...

about the plugins, I already checked that link but it doesn't seem of much help, any plugin you recommand most?

also, I though a newb mario would have been enough considering that most of the ppl in that team are newbs.

YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH NEWBS

2 NULLS! DUDE! THAT'S CRAZY ENOUGH, IT JUST MIGHT WORK!

why didn't I think of that? -_-

One sideways walk comin' up. Soon.

Oh, and I meant to say, "Does he need eyelids?" Not eyebrows.

And the shyguy looks fine depth-wise. Unless our 'director' says otherwise.

If you need help with the rig just ask.

for now eyelids are unnessary, plus they are easy to add later

Guys, just look at this!

I'm proud of myself, he's nice (tell me he's not and I'll smack you)

any suggestion for improvement?

post-8345-1170551775_thumb.jpg

can you post the reference pic(s) that you are using so we can all see what the goal is

the ears, hat and basic head shape looks good. Is there a way to get rid of the weird undentation on the jawline. i was looking at some ref and it looks like you need to add some cheek buldge to make him a little chubby in the face. The eyes look like they are too sunken. It's creepy.

Can you lighten the color of the mustache so we can see the detail?

The size of the nose is right. The shape of the nose should be more organic. Are you going to incorporate the nose eventually?

i think the weak chin looks good. The lips should be fuller...more volume and more curve

"The shape of the nose should be more organic"

mario's nose

doesn't look organic at all, it's just a big baloon...

maybe the reference picture I was using is part of the problem: with my nintendo 64 emulator, I took screenshots of the head we can turn around at the begining... mario kinda changed since then

hey guys, I tried creating more cp so the model would be smoother but I get this strange rough look

PS the ear is now round. What do you think of the mouth? I really don't know how to do mouth so I tried something new. kinda look strange

post-8345-1170627738_thumb.jpg

oh yeah that is all messed up....

yo need to lower the spline density, that should help. you need to make sure the whole spline is a clean curve, move the splines at a front an side angle using the arrow keys should help...move them up, down , left and right at both angles until the spline is completely smooth and the other splines follow it. and get rid of that inner eye, make the eye the right shape then then select the eye spline, extrude and move the extrusion in ward a bit, extrude again movie it in more than the last and expand it. then your done with the eye socket.this way the eye turns out much smoother.

EDIT: also i see allot of unnecessary splines, if a spline gose in to a hook on both sides(after copy/flip/attach) delete it. like the spline right at the bottom of the chin it goes from the middle and then to a hook(which is not 50% more like 75%).

hey guys, I tried creating more cp so the model would be smoother but I get this strange rough look

PS the ear is now round. What do you think of the mouth? I really don't know how to do mouth so I tried something new. kinda look strange

post-8345-1170627738_thumb.jpg

actually adding splines is the wrong way to go. Like mage said lower the spline count and smooth out the contours. This can take a really long time.

It's hard to see the mouth but i think the lower lip looks better with the extra volume. Try adding some curve. i suggest getting some cartoon reference and hiding the rest of the model so that you can really focus on the shape of the lips.

check out this page :

mouth shapes

phoneme_rest.jpg

These are mouth shapes for animation but i think it would make good reference for default mouth shape.

This picture is too realistic...but you get the idea