Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Random flying particles

Rampage0007

I have modeled a character, and for a scene I am animating his hand needs to appear to be on fire. So I created a material with particles, however, when I add the material to his hand and render it there seems to be a beam of random particles that are emitting from nowhere. I have included a pic illustrating what is happening as well as the specifics of my material. Can anyone tell me what is going on, and more importantly, how to stop it??

My Particle Material

post-9007-1168311235_thumb.jpg

My crudely drawn example of the problem

post-9007-1168310927.jpg

Any ideas as to what is going on??

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My crude drawing didnt get my problem across I am afraid. I have a screen capture here of the actual .Cho You can see there are particles emitting out of nowhere, away from the model. All of my force properties are set to 0. If I set my initial velocity to 0, the line goes away, but then particles arent really "emitted" they are just kind of left behind. The viscocity setting dont make a difference in getting rid of the problem either. I want them just to emit from the group of patches I have selected. Does anyone know what is causing this????

post-9007-1168337311_thumb.jpg

I put in your settings and applied them to Thom.

This is what I got:

post-9673-1168341743_thumb.jpg

Not what I expected.

I looked at the Choreograph properties and found a force Y of -100 (this was the default), when I set it to 0, this is what I got:

post-9673-1168341735_thumb.jpg

No random particles anywhere, I'm afraid. What version are you running? Have you tried taking it back to basics - delete the material, and start again, with a few properties at a time, and apply the material to Thom? (Are your normals all facing outwards?)

I believe I've seen this very problem before and it happens when you apply the emitter to either a 3 point patch or 5 point patch or both. Try applying the emitter to a couple of known 4 point patches and see if it behaves. Make sure you take off the emitter from any and all 3 or 5 point patches to verify.

Edit: Although I don't see it happening anymore in version 13, but it did happen in, I think, version 11.

Here is the link to some one with the same problem a while back

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20199&hl=