Hash, Inc. Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bendytoons

Spell

Here is a first look at a Spell effect for Scene 1_04_22a. The witch enchants Nick's axe. I had some grandiose ideas about a giant hand, but there is so little time in the shot that I opted for simple particles. Green seemed the order of the day.spel.mov

Looks good. It's suitably colored to show it's witch magic as opposed to Ozma magic.

Thanks for that spell, Ben.

I wonder if having the particles disipate (perhaps taper is a more appropriate word) by the time it reaches Nick Chopper might be even more effective. Nick doesn't seem to know what hits him and having the spell sneak into the axe would echo that.

Even so, its clear from here exactly what she's done.

Very nice!

Edit: Just realized the next shot may pick up the spell where this one leaves off.

If thats the case... Prepare thyself to disregard my previous suggestion.

Hmmmmm...... Personally I think it's too bright a colour to be from a wicked witch. I'm thinking some dull putrid grey green, dense, smoking thing that hugs the terrain sneaking up on NC and his axe. I'd also rather see her throw it when NC has put the axe down so that it takes him by suprise - buts thats just me!

Cheers

Looks fantastic... but (there's always a but)

It seems to be a little insubstantial. Too "flat". It looks like it was composited rather than part of the action.

I just saw that new superman flick (awful) but I like David's idea of something "darker" and "thicker" more menacing. Maybe something "smoky" and more opaque like one of those guided missiles or the smoke trail from a jet that twirls and wobbles (they do this in anime a lot... even so it's still cool). Maybe even something like the color of the smoke (I forget. Green or red?) from that other... uh... potentially less successful OZ movie. ;)

-vern

Looks fantastic... but (there's always a but)

It seems to be a little insubstantial. Too "flat". It looks like it was composited rather than part of the action.

I just saw that new superman flick (awful) but I like David's idea of something "darker" and "thicker" more menacing. Maybe something "smoky" and more opaque like one of those guided missiles or the smoke trail from a jet that twirls and wobbles (they do this in anime a lot... even so it's still cool). Maybe even something like the color of the smoke (I forget. Green or red?) from that other... uh... potentially less successful OZ movie. ;)

-vern

I too imagine something darker and more substantial. I was trying to figure out how to build it out of spider and bat sprites or something. Or even better to have a "magic hand" reach out and grab the axe. But...and there is always a but..., that all takes more time. My first task was to get something usable done. When I can I may revisit this and try for the darker scarier shot, but not yet. First I have a whirlwind to tackle.

Thanks for the input, always valued, if rarely heeded.

The spell looks great! ... (here it comes) ... BUT... I don't know if you are doing the animation for this scene, David, but I would like to see the witches torso continue to move forward slightly after she releases the spell! Also the head and shoulders need some life I think.

Man! Imagine how grotesque that witch would look with SSS! :)

You might need to constrain a light to the sprites so they cast shadows on the surrounding objects.

The spell looks great! ... (here it comes) ... BUT... I don't know if you are doing the animation for this scene, David, but I would like to see the witches torso continue to move forward slightly after she releases the spell! Also the head and shoulders need some life I think.

Man! Imagine how grotesque that witch would look with SSS! :)

No, I didn't do the animation. To really pick on the animation...... it looks like a "ho-hum" type of spell cast. I'm not saing the animation is bad - yes a spell is cast, no doubt about it - it's just not very alive, theres no anticipation and as Paul said - no follow through. Where is the enjoyment from the witch in anticipation of results of the spell?

I'm not picking on the person who did this scene but a lot of animation seems to be just going through the motions! Few people seem to be having fun with their scenes - or at least the animation doesn't seem to reflect it!

Cheers