Hash, Inc. Forums

Not just a car

agep

Its been a while since I did a personal project. Finally I've managed to model (and yes, animate) some new stuff. I guess you wont get surprised when you see I've modeled yet another car, but this time I did put more into it. Please take a look at the animation. I hope you like it

Best regards

Stian

the animation:

grimlock.mov

a few stills:

grimlock1.jpg grimlock2.jpg

Thanks guys

This model is entierly based on a toy version of the Grimlock transformers that I bought at Toys'R'us

Did you give the toy back to your kid?

have you contact the toy maker with this yet? I think they would love to see it. I bet the kids would get wide eye just seeing this animation.

That's very cool! Did you know Citroën has commercials with transformer cars? When I saw them I wanted to make something like that too, but I never did because I didn't have time.

For those interested in the Citroën video's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZADtTq0SMo

Thank you very much for your comments

Some beefier sound effects, and more of a variety, would be cooler. ;)
I know, but those where the best sound I managed to find after a few hour searching the web

Did you know Citroën has commercials with transformer cars?
Guess where I got my inspiration from;)

Stian

Thank you Dhar and Rodney for your kind words.

Oh, I almost forgot, I made a spline progress video for this model too. Unfortunately most parts on this model is underneath the metal surface, but I hope you guys will enjoy it anyway:

mustangprogress.mov

and a single frame:

mustangprogress.jpg

Hey how do you do those spline progression movies? I assume you replace the model with a newer version in the chor every few seconds. It sounds very time consuming.....do you have a quick way?

Another fine example of automotive craftsmenship, Stian.

Would you please post a render of a side view close-up of the rear half of the Mustang? I'd like to see how even are the reflections through the 5 pointers around the handle pocket and the gas filler cap. Thanks.

mustang.jpg

Thanks again

Another fine example of automotive craftsmenship, Stian.

Would you please post a render of a side view close-up of the rear half of the Mustang? I'd like to see how even are the reflections through the 5 pointers around the handle pocket and the gas filler cap. Thanks.

I dont have a closeup render lying around but I have an early render of the model. Hope this helps, if not I'll try to make a new render

1mustang_dual0.jpg

Give us the one minute lowdown on how you worked out the unfolding as you modeled.
Oh, how should I explain this... hmm. What I had for reference is what mentioned earlier; the toy transformer, some simple rotocopes of the mustang and a bunch of images collected with all might google. I basically started to model the car as I always do (shown in the progressvideo). Then I started to make the interior (legs, arms and such) while the model still being a car (most of the parts where measured by eye). The funny thing is that I did not see the model as a transformers until it all was modeled and rigged, and I can tell that I was a little anxious to see how it would look unfolded :)

Must be some crazy bones going on there.
Due to my limited rigging knowledge the rig is pretty basic. Mainly bones from joint to joint. No constraint or anything.

here is a screen capture of the rig:

note: total patch count for the model is 26116

grimlockrig.jpg

Its been a while since I did a personal project. Finally I've managed to model (and yes, animate) some new stuff. I guess you wont get surprised when you see I've modeled yet another car, but this time I did put more into it. Please take a look at the animation. I hope you like it

Best regards

Stian

the animation:

grimlock.mov

a few stills:

post-4643-1168284698_thumb.jpg post-4643-1168284728_thumb.jpg

Amazing, you know, present that to the toy company or, present your skills to a car company and boy, wow do they pay alot do they not ;):D you could become very popular with them yes ? Really that is trully amazing, this just makes me more excited about AM even more.

if you like that wait till you see his iron man. hes for more than just cars.

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21006

make sure you look at all the picture till the very end. :D

Uhm, I am not patrick_j_clarke ;) however, I do model more than just cars: Parts of my image gallery

• 6 months later...