Hash, Inc. Forums

Welcome A:M Users!

Rodney

I think anybody on this forum who objected to answering idiotic questions would be FORCEFULLY reminded of his/her own idiotic newbie questions. I remember a few of my own...pardon me while I go hide my face for a while.

There's karma, you know: once you get familiar, it'll be your job to help out the next batch of newbies.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin
Hello all I just purchased AM This weekend at Megacon here in Orlando and so far I am very impressed very user friendly and great tuturiols

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the A:M Forum!

Its great to have you here. :)

Hello everyone.

It's really funny. I watched the two powerpoint slideshows available in the video manual area. The history of animation and 3D. What strikes me as funny is that one way or another, I have owned a copy of EACH and EVERY one of Martin Hash's products over the last 30 years!!! It started on my Amiga and then my PCs and apples.

I have had a love affair with 3D animation since I saw STAR WARS, Tron and The Last Starfighter. When I found out that people were using lightwave (I had a video toaster back then) to make Babylon 5's effects, I was blown away. Animation Master (then Playmation and a host of other names) was always easier to use. Since I was a proficient Corel Draw user, A:M has always appealed to me. I have been a part of every major 3D app since the inception of 3D apps. Heck, I even talked many times with Steven Worley on the phone back in the old Silver and Imagine days, as well as the owners of Imagine.

I never did get to talk with Martin, however. I was even at Siggraph back when it was in Orlando (98 maybe?) - I had a booth for my company Creative Imaging, and Martin Hash was just a few rows down. That is, I believe, the 1st time I bought a copy live and in person.

It's too bad I am not better at animation and modelling than I would like to be.

So, let me re, re, re, re, re, re-introduce myself.

My name is Mike Felker and many people on many forums know me as Karmacomposer. I am an award-winning composer and own a recording studio and production company. Check out www.world-class-multimedia.com to see what we do.

I LOVE Animation Master. I loved it decades ago and I am SOOOOOOOO glad I am back. I almost always updated my copy ($99, how could you beat it) when I would receive my reminder brochure in the mail. I was a bit too late on this one and Martin did away with the upgrade price, so I went the subscription route since I am in this for the long haul.

The reason I want to do 3D so badly is for gaming. I love making game levels, art and, of course, music scores. We have done several and plan to do many more. 3D falls into place in many areas we do, like TV commercials and multimedia. Even though I currently own Maya 5, Lightwave 9, Carrara 6 Pro, Hexagon2, Silo2, Truespace and many copies of A:M, including v15, A:M is the ONLY one I really can make things happen in. Obviously, I simply suck at all the others, but A:M really works the way I think.

So, I just want to say "Hello" again and I REALLY want to master A:M this time - I am COMMITED to learning how to model, texture and animate with it. Because we do video productions, it is interesting as heck to do real-life lighting for a project and then try and do the same thing virtually in A:M.

I am not getting any younger, so I appreciate anyone's help when I have questions, no matter how silly, stupid or ignorant they may be. I apologize in advanced if I become a pest.

I do have a question about using my render farm. I have 10 powerful computers in my office and use them with Carrara all the time (too bad I can never make anything too good in it - lol), but I am confused as to how to make use of the A:M network rendering capabilities. Being that I used to be a network engineer and computer technician, and am a computer programmer in a few languages, I am pretty technically inclined, so why this has me stumped I don't know. Is there a separate application I have to install? Thanks for anyone's assistance.

I did not know there was something in Orlando this past weekend or I would have gone to it. Darn it!!!!

I am also looking forward to helping out in community projects and would gladly lend my music scoring abilities, at the very least, if needed.

All the best to all of you,

Mike

Hi

I purchased A:M about two months ago. I have taken Interactive Digital Design and Computer Systems programs in college and have experience mainly with Lightwave, Adobe Director and various video editing software. So far I'm loving A:M; it is a bit different than what I am used to though and hopefully I won't have too many strange questions!!!

Even though I currently own Maya 5, Lightwave 9, Carrara 6 Pro, Hexagon2, Silo2, Truespace and many copies of A:M, including v15, A:M is the ONLY one I really can make things happen in. Obviously, I simply suck at all the others...

No, they suck. If you can make things happen in A:M, then the problem isn't you.

You've heard the old saying, "A poor workman blames his tools." To which I reply, "A good workman won't put up with crappy tools, he finds better ones and uses those." Like you. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, guys - I've been aware of AM for a while, so when I saw v15 being sold at WonderCon 2008 in San Francisco for only $50, I had to buy it.

I am currently taking a look at the PDFs to get a handle of the interface and I look forward in checking out this cool piece of software.

My one question is this: I asked the guy who was selling this if there was any catch to this version because it usually costs like $200+. He said that there was not catch. So I went home thinking that maybe this was the student version with the one year license, but the About:Help does not display an expiration date. So - does this mean this is a for real, perpetual license?

On my Help>About screen the last line, in the licensed to area, shows the expiry date. I have the web (no student) edition that lasts one year.

If you got a CD, that will not expire.

Welcome to A:M - it really is a cool piece of software.

• Admin

Randy,

What Caroline said.

To my knowledge there are two purchasing options available barring purchases worked out through Hash Inc such as volume discounts and such on a case by case basis. A:M (the program) is the same in both. (i.e. no 'limited' versions)

Purchasing the CD package ($299) will get you the 'perpetual' license. No strings. No catches.

Purchasing the websubscription ($49) will get you a one year license. No strings. No catches.

If you have no CD you have the one year license.

There is no student version.

One A:M for everyone.

Note: There is no such thing as a perpetual license. Support for both packages (CD and websubscription) is limited to 12 months.

The forum can and will extend that support considerably of course due to (if I may be so bold) excellent user to user support but Hash Inc support is based on the 12 month subscription. They may support you further than the expiration of the license but it pays to stay current. $49 a year makes that affordable. Additional support agreements can be worked through Hash Inc directly.

Welcome again to A:M and the A:M Forum. :)

Hi everyone,

I've been looking at Hash on and off for several years. I've known of it since first seeing Jeff Lew's (killer bean) cool animation tutorials. While I've enjoyed doing cg (Autodesk 3D Studio and LW through v8), I've never really gotten good at it. What I’ve seen of Hash, is the great community, and the learning resources.

So I’ve paid for my year long pass – a steal for $50! I’ll be doing the online certificate pronto. I'm looking forward to sharing cg with y’all :D

alex

• Admin
So I’ve paid for my year long pass – a steal for $50! I’ll be doing the online certificate pronto. I'm looking forward to sharing cg with y’all

Alex,

Welcome to the A:M Forum! I think your experience will help you transition well and complement what you have already learned.

My suggestion... spend as much time with the resources available to you (including this forum) and have fun with the TaoA:M exercises. Emerse yourself in it if you can. :)

----------------------------------------------------

...and welcome back to JJstudios!

Some more good reasons for the $49 subscription.

A:M is now cheap enough the guy you lent A:M to can afford it.

Make sure he knows about the websubscription then we can welcome him too! ;)

For the record... Lighting should be easier now... moreso than it was years ago.

There is more online documentation, more widespread knowledge of how to light scenes and more experimentation than there was before. The TWO movie helped a few more people really learn about Lighting too. Modeling... it can be difficult to wrap your brain around until you think of it more like drawing. Then once the model starts to take form the paradym changes to one more like molding and modeling clay. If you post your work in the WIP section others will gladly join in and help you through the rough spots.

Hello, all. :D

I just picked up version 15 at Sakura-con. At $50, I picked up one for a friend too. He's the actual artist.

My last attempt to master A:M came a few years back with version 12... but school and work didn't leave me much time to play. 8 more classes to go... but TaoA:M sounds like the perfect way to learn when I've got the free time.

(BTW, "tao" ... means "way" in Chinese, doesn't it? "the art of" A:M... "the way of" A:M... Coincidence? ;) )

• Admin

Glad to have you back.

You are a friend indeed to be hooking your friend up like that with a copy of A:M.

Bet you make his day. :)

"tao" ... means "way" in Chinese, doesn't it? "the art of" A:M... "the way of" A:M... Coincidence?

That is very astute of you.

Martin Hash himself has stated that TaoA:M is 'the way' of Animation and suggested the proper spelling 'TaoA:M'. While I've resisted any religious over/undertones I changed my spelling from 'TAoA:M' to 'TaoA:M' several years ago to get in line with that reading for those that are so inclined to follow that interpretation.

You won't find me correcting people that spell it other ways or just call it 'the manual' though.

Purists are free to find fault with me there. I'm only human. ;)

For what its worth... There is no doubt in my mind that TaoA:M is 'the way' to enlightenment in 3D animation so I'm rather pleased with that reading of the title these days. Every time I read through the book I find new paths to understanding in Animation:Master and in animation in general. A lot of inspiration was poured into that book and yet I find it only hints at what we find waiting for us there.

Hello, Ishida - I'm not quite sure what you want to do - is it a 'slideshow' of 1500 pictures?

You should just be able to drag an image into the choreography and use it as a layer.

Like this post:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?s=&am...st&p=266940

This post has a background image, then the yellow 3d character, then a foreground image on top.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me be honest, AM rocks, as soon as I saw the animations produced I wanted it and like a lot of people searched the net high and low, looked through all the torrents, not a crumb was available. I'm definitely into try before you buy. But the animations I saw spoke for themselves and what won me over was the watching the the animations on Hash's website and seeing the secondary animation capabilities.

I'm at university studying animation, I'm not doing it to get a career as an animator, thats a personal goal but I did discover motion graphics as an area or interest that may make me pursue a career and if what I have seen of AM so far, I would love to use it as a part of my tool set for developing a career in motion graphics.

But my main interest in learning to be an animator is to illustrate my stories and poetry as animations, with AM I feel that I have arrived, so I am looking forward to giving up sleep as a necessity. I'll say this I was more than happy to pay for an awesome piece of software and will be pushing my classmates to get copies for themselves and pushingmy course tutors to let me use it as a tool for my second and third year at university.

Just took the subscription plunge yesterday. $50 for a year trial works for me. Funny, I've "tried" a lot of software (C4D, Maya PLE, 3DS, etc.). Nothing really stuck - I am a C6/Hex user though. This one looked like it had many features I was interested in, but what really sold me? The Art of Animation:Master. Why? If anyone can write an artist's guide that actually addresses more than the mechanics and gives you tips on timing, character building, conveying emotion and even provides videos of the lessons online - well that's worth the $50 right there. It's like the Animators Survival Guide, but quantified in CG (I have that book BTW).

As I'm on Vista (64bit) I've already noticed a few graphical glitches probably caused by DX/OpenGL and driver issues. Hopefully it wont impact my ability to actually use the program.

Hi to all.

dh

• 2 weeks later...
how could i add color into my animations????? and is it possible to make a statuized modle of something????? please im me!!!!!!!

Make sure you turn your property triangles on. Go to Tools>Options>Global Tab> and check the show property triangle. Then select a group and click the triangle next to it (not the +). Select Surface and then Defuse color. If you press 9 or 0 (not on the number pad) then the selected group you changed colors, should be in that color.

I am a freshman student using A:M in my animations class. I have also bought the product as I think it's a very easy program to use. That is, when you get used to it. I am a novice animator but I believe my skills have gotten better since I've started. I use v15.0 while we're using v13.0 in class. Not much of a difference (atleast, from what I can interpret), but I guess v15 has more a a different feel to it. Not sure why. Anyways, I'm glad to be using it and I can't wait to see what it can do for me. ^-^

I am a freshman student using A:M in my animations class. I have also bought the product as I think it's a very easy program to use. That is, when you get used to it. I am a novice animator but I believe my skills have gotten better since I've started. I use v15.0 while we're using v13.0 in class. Not much of a difference (atleast, from what I can interpret), but I guess v15 has more a a different feel to it. Not sure why. Anyways, I'm glad to be using it and I can't wait to see what it can do for me. ^-^

thank u i've had this program for a month and am still having problems :lol:

Me too, but I've found ways to over come them, luckily ;)

Me too, but I've found ways to over come them, luckily ;)

same it takes me a little time though. :rolleyes::ninja:

• 3 weeks later...

hello everyone. I'm a new A:M user, got it 4 days ago, i'm currently in the army deployed to iraq and was looking for career options for after and a relative sent me A:M. I've been addicted to it ever since. still working thru the manual and do to circumstances am unable to download anything at the moment. any general advice would be much appreciated thanks

matt

HI, my name is Myron. I've been a musician for more years than I care to think about. About 20 years ago I wrote a screenplay for an animated video to go with a song that I wrote 30 years ago. At the time, in my imagination the video was done in claymation which was state of the art at the time. I got A:M a few weeks ago and have been working my way through the tutorials. I am excited in the extreme. I have however run into the "5 point patch" problem. I did a search through the forum and found the page where it was discussed. tried the period twice remedy- no luck. same with the hide trick- no luck. when I select the 5 points and then hit the button the cursor aquires a "5-point" icon but when i click with it nothing happens (no shading). I tried it with the plane, the giraffe, and now the face with no luck. Help. ThanksVisit My Website:myronleroy.com

• Admin
hello everyone. I'm a new A:M user, got it 4 days ago, i'm currently in the army deployed to iraq and was looking for career options for after and a relative sent me A:M. I've been addicted to it ever since. still working thru the manual and do to circumstances am unable to download anything at the moment. any general advice would be much appreciated thanks

matt

Hey Matt!

From one military guy to another... I want to welcome you to the A:M Forum!

I know exactly what you mean when you talk about circumstances in Iraq that prevent downloading... been there... done that!

I was fortunate enough that I eventually got a reliable connection but it cost me plenty to get it done. Worst of all was the time it took to download anything... with the connection constantly timing out. Ah the memories...

I must say... your relative has great taste in software. :)

Since you don't have a good connection I'll suggest that even more than for most people this is a great time to take advantage of that manual. Work through it and take notes along the way. When you do finally get some connectivity download the video tutorials that go with the exercises and then go through the exercises again. You'll be amazed at what you find you've learned (and remembered) along the way.

If your connectivity allows get involved here in the forum. Make a lot of mistakes!

Hurry home... and be safe!

HI, my name is Myron. I've been a musician for more years than I care to think about. About 20 years ago I wrote a screenplay for an animated video to go with a song that I wrote 30 years ago. At the time, in my imagination the video was done in claymation which was state of the art at the time. I got A:M a few weeks ago and have been working my way through the tutorials. I am excited in the extreme. I have however run into the "5 point patch" problem. I did a search through the forum and found the page where it was discussed. tried the period twice remedy- no luck. same with the hide trick- no luck. when I select the 5 points and then hit the button the cursor aquires a "5-point" icon but when i click with it nothing happens (no shading). I tried it with the plane, the giraffe, and now the face with no luck. Help. Thanks

Hi Myron!

I've send a reply to you in your PM inbox but want to officially welcome you here.

Welcome to the A:M Forum! :)

The '5 point patch problem' won't be a problem once you get the hang of it.

When starting out though I would suggest to simply avoid it altogether but I understand that you'll eventually need to master it.

If you must use one then you might want to share either a file or image of what you are experiencing.

That'll help us help you get it straight.

Without knowing more I can only assume that the area is not valid for the creation of a 5 point patch.

Too many variables to consider without a look at the file.

Hang in there. We are here with you. :)

Rodney

matt

Hey Matt!

From one military guy to another... I want to welcome you to the A:M Forum!

I know exactly what you mean when you talk about circumstances in Iraq that prevent downloading... been there... done that!

I was fortunate enough that I eventually got a reliable connection but it cost me plenty to get it done. Worst of all was the time it took to download anything... with the connection constantly timing out. Ah the memories...

I must say... your relative has great taste in software. :)

Since you don't have a good connection I'll suggest that even more than for most people this is a great time to take advantage of that manual. Work through it and take notes along the way. When you do finally get some connectivity download the video tutorials that go with the exercises and then go through the exercises again. You'll be amazed at what you find you've learned (and remembered) along the way.

If your connectivity allows get involved here in the forum. Make a lot of mistakes!

Hurry home... and be safe!

HI, my name is Myron. I've been a musician for more years than I care to think about. About 20 years ago I wrote a screenplay for an animated video to go with a song that I wrote 30 years ago. At the time, in my imagination the video was done in claymation which was state of the art at the time. I got A:M a few weeks ago and have been working my way through the tutorials. I am excited in the extreme. I have however run into the "5 point patch" problem. I did a search through the forum and found the page where it was discussed. tried the period twice remedy- no luck. same with the hide trick- no luck. when I select the 5 points and then hit the button the cursor aquires a "5-point" icon but when i click with it nothing happens (no shading). I tried it with the plane, the giraffe, and now the face with no luck. Help. Thanks

Hi Myron!

I've send a reply to you in your PM inbox but want to officially welcome you here.

Welcome to the A:M Forum! :)

The '5 point patch problem' won't be a problem once you get the hang of it.

When starting out though I would suggest to simply avoid it altogether but I understand that you'll eventually need to master it.

If you must use one then you might want to share either a file or image of what you are experiencing.

That'll help us help you get it straight.

Without knowing more I can only assume that the area is not valid for the creation of a 5 point patch.

Too many variables to consider without a look at the file.

Hang in there. We are here with you. :)

Rodney

I thought I sent a reply with a jpg attatchment but somehow it didn't post. here it is again just in case, sorry if it shows up twice.

when I saved the jpg the control points didn't translate. How would I save an image from my project window that would look like the ones in the manual?

I'm taking my time with the tutorials because I want a thorough command of the software. The 5-point patch seems to come up quite often so it's something I would like to master in my art of animation. i'm in the make a face tutorial, trying to follow it closely. Im at this point and . . . .

Myron

5_point_patch0.jpg

Feel free to start a new topic for this!

Actually it would be very hard to diagnose the 5 point patch problem from a jpeg, we would need the project file to be attached. It also looks like you may have a spline problem above the eye too.

To get the wireframe in the jpeg, under Advanced render options, you can render "shaded + wireframe" instead of "final".

To get the 5 point patch filled, you can hide everything else, and then use the lasso tool, making sure you only get the 5 points selected, then if the 5-point patch tool does not become available, use the period key twice. I have never had a failure using this method. Unless of course it is not a valid 5 pointer, for which we will need to see the project.

There are 'rules' to using splines - the best tutorial is here:

http://www.alienlogo.com/tincan/ - the Basic Splinemanship tutorials.

Feel free to start a new topic for this!

Actually it would be very hard to diagnose the 5 point patch problem from a jpeg, we would need the project file to be attached. It also looks like you may have a spline problem above the eye too.

To get the wireframe in the jpeg, under Advanced render options, you can render "shaded + wireframe" instead of "final".

To get the 5 point patch filled, you can hide everything else, and then use the lasso tool, making sure you only get the 5 points selected, then if the 5-point patch tool does not become available, use the period key twice. I have never had a failure using this method. Unless of course it is not a valid 5 pointer, for which we will need to see the project.

There are 'rules' to using splines - the best tutorial is here:

http://www.alienlogo.com/tincan/ - the Basic Splinemanship tutorials.

Thanks for your response Caroline.

If I knew how to start a new topic for this, I would, but I'm still learning how to use the forum as well as the sortware. You are right, I ran into the same problem above the eye but I can't remember how (I'm not sure how) I jury rigged my way out of it. I wish to understand the problem, it's the only way to truly overcome it. I shall attach the project to this reply and await enlightenment. :blink: While I'm waiting I will check out your suggested tutorial. Thanks again

Cooper_1.prj

• Admin

Myron,

The 5 point patch looks fine from here. Perhaps you just aren't activating it?

By this I mean to say that once the 5 point patch icon activates (which you've indicated has happened) that is showing you that its a valid 5 point patch. Then just click the 5 point patch icon and WALAH! the patch will be created.

Looks like you are off to a great start!

5pointpatch.jpg

Myron,

The 5 point patch looks fine from here. Perhaps you just aren't activating it?

By this I mean to say that once the 5 point patch icon activates (which you've indicated has happened) that is showing you that its a valid 5 point patch. Then just click the 5 point patch icon and WALAH! the patch will be created.

Looks like you are off to a great start!

Pardon my density, Rodney, but why is it not then filling it to the shaded mode?

• Admin
Pardon my density, Rodney, but why is it not then filling it to the shaded mode?

For anyone following along... Myron was not clicking on the right button/icon. It looks like he was clicking the 'Patch select' icon instead.

Read the play by play (and more useful advise!) here:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...mp;#entry272118

As newbies (and oldersters too!) we not only learn from our own mistakes but also from the mistakes of others. :)

5Point_or_Patch_Group_Mode.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I purchased a year's subscription, yesterday, triggered by the excellent (and enthusiastic) demo video.

The program itself is more complicated than I initially thought (even compared to f.i. the Cinema 4D demo version I'm playing with), so I'll be working my way through the various tutorials.

I've always been very interested in animation, but had never given it a go myself. Now after trying to get an animation project -which I've written- produced for two years now, I'll try to do it myself.

Oh.. and I live in The Netherlands.

Thanks for reading! :-)

All the best,

Dennis

Hi Dennis!

Hmm. Your experience is different from mine. I could never get anywhere with C4D.

A:M does require a different mindset if you're used to working with polygons. A spline isn't just the joining line between two surfaces; it's a living thing with a story to tell.

• Hash Fellow
I purchased a year's subscription, yesterday, triggered by the excellent (and enthusiastic) demo video.

The program itself is more complicated than I initially thought (even compared to f.i. the Cinema 4D demo version I'm playing with), so I'll be working my way through the various tutorials.

Welcome to A:M! If you get stuck, ask a question onthe forum and soem one will pop in with an answer.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Well, I'm back....again. I have been a subscriber since I think version 8 or 9. I just keep getting sucked into some video games that distract me. So, I have canceled the game's subscription and re-upped into the Hash venture. I seem to have a couple little movies in me that I still need to get out. I'm gonna pick up TAoAM at the baseball pitch. You can watch my progress through the class on my Myspace page linked in my profile.

Hope to actually get some stuff done this time around. Thanx for your patients.

F.D.P.

• Admin

looks like you've got your priorities straight setting yourself up in TaoA:M again. :)

Rock on!

If you haven't seen the discussions on 'Scarecrow of Oz' I want to encourage you not to miss that unique opportunity. Challenge your skills in all the ways that count. Get involved with SO at the earliest possible moment. (ahem - that'd be now!)

Its great to see you back here in the forum.

Hi! I started with A:M a while ago (Don't know) how long, but this is the first time I've been here. I like Star Wars and am currently making models from the new Star Wars movie that is coming out August 15. It's called Star Wars The Clone Wars. If anyone finds any rotoscopes for any characters like the Super Battle Droid or Count Dooku, give me a call! Oh, and if you wanna check out the new movie previews and stuff go to this site- www.starwars.com/theclonewars

• 2 weeks later...
urk... eh... mah...

T I N C A N... has returned. :)

My name's John, I'm not exactly new to AM, I've had a copy since '99. I figured TAoAM would be a good reintroduction to things. The first tutorials I ever did were Basic Splinesmanship from Sherwood's Forest, by none other than Mr. Cantin. I'm glad to hear that he's back in the AM community. He's a treasure to us perpetual newbies.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Rodney,

I've lurked for some time but never posted, so I thought I should say Hi!

I bought A:M at a trade show several years ago after one of Heath and James awesome demos.

Absoultely the best software package for the price! I'm still learning and having fun with it.

You guys rock!

Regards,

Guy Russo