Hash, Inc. Forums

ALIEN QUEEN (MODIFICATIONS)

i decided to put a little more "will power" into my models, so i'm somewhat starting over. let's start with the head. i got the crest and head done, now i need to get onto the neck.... i think i'll save that for tomorrow. anyways, here are the pictures. let me know of anything that isn't right. yes, a little too shinney, i'll try to fix that tomorrow.

post-9472-1167709938_thumb.jpg

post-9472-1167709956_thumb.jpg

post-9472-1167709978_thumb.jpg

i like the new model... there's a lot more detail now!

the profile has too many straight (or near straight) lines, however, that give her a boxy feel.

unless that's what you're going for, they need some tweaking.

nevertheless... much better!

-jon

i like the new model... there's a lot more detail now!

the profile has too many straight (or near straight) lines, however, that give her a boxy feel.

unless that's what you're going for, they need some tweaking.

nevertheless... much better!

-jon

i'll try to fix the lines... just tell me exactly where and i'll get right to it :)

thanks, i'm giving a lot of effort and time into this, and i'm happy to know that it's paying off!

it took me all day today to get the upper torso done, i didn't do the arms yet, but don't worry, i'll get to them!

let me know if anything looks out of place

post-9472-1167863798_thumb.jpg

post-9472-1167863816_thumb.jpg

post-9472-1167863840_thumb.jpg

ok, i got the arms done... now onto the lower torso

post-9472-1167947189_thumb.jpg

post-9472-1167947282_thumb.jpg

i was thinking of some songs that might go into this movie that i might make, and i'd like your opinion

they're Bush: Alien, and Godsmack: I Stand Alone

dont know these songs? try listening and watching the alien and predator music vids on YouTube !!!!CAUTION GORE AND VIOLENCE!!!! IN THESE VIDS!

(Bush: Alien, an ALIEN music vid)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfvRvhSy0BY

(Godsmack: I Stand Alone, a PREDATOR music vid)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvZG53OXBcw

these vids contain scenes from the alien and predator movies

two quick things. With the small mouth. The part stretching out of the big mouth is to large and circular, and also, the little mouth looks a bit blocky around where the gums would be. Great job though! :)

ok, any sketches to help me out? i cant picture that out too well, can you tell me what it should look like instead of how too much it is of?

ok, i got her tail done, and her bones are done too. im just not sure if her body should have reflections to make her look slimey, or is the specularity good enough? let me know if the reflections should stay, decrease or become removed, because i want to do a video demonstration, and i want it to be the "finishing touch" demonstration. i know that in model mode that her tail looks a little too long, but in the alien movies, including AVP, her tail seems to stretch very far away from her body, which should mean that her tail is very long, but thats my guess. let me know of anything and one more time, let me know of any revisions before i do the "finishing touch" video. cheers :)

post-9472-1168189790_thumb.jpg

post-9472-1168189809_thumb.jpg

post-9472-1168189831_thumb.jpg

post-9472-1168189850_thumb.jpg

1 more thing too. how many bones do you have in the tail. I think to make it more realistic, you should have a lot. So that it can move, or slither in a way

dont worry, the tail has 36 bones in it, plenty for movement. and is this what you meant by the mouth? or is it still too blocky?

post-9472-1168203454_thumb.jpg

post-9472-1168203526_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

ok, im thinking about making the alien drones, but i dont know how they should look like, should they look like the aliens frome the first 2 alien movies, or the aliens from alien resurrection and alien versus predator? and the movie for the alien queen is too big for me to post on here, even if i double the clip's speed, and with the best renderer, can anyone help?

there were only two alien movies: alien and aliens.... the others were just cruel hoaxes.

your queen's body seems great, but that tail should be more tapered towards the end.

your biggest challenge lies ahead: in the films, the lighting (or lack thereof) greatly contributed to the menace of the creatures.

and, of course, lots of slobber.

-jon

there were only two alien movies: alien and aliens.... the others were just cruel hoaxes.

your queen's body seems great, but that tail should be more tapered towards the end.

your biggest challenge lies ahead: in the films, the lighting (or lack thereof) greatly contributed to the menace of the creatures.

and, of course, lots of slobber.

-jon

um, i dont know what you mean by "tapered", can you explain it to me? including the lighting part, do you mean how dark thier surrounding is? and yes, the slobber will be hard, i would be glad for any offered help

rav, a teardrop is a deformed sphere. in this context, they would form at the end of the slobber trails. that's all.

the mouth still has sharp edges, which run counter to the sleek, organic look of the creature.

i can't find a good collection of geiger's work, but you should take a look at his art. he's the designer of the original 'alien' creature.

-jon

yes, the tail is like 3 times more segmented than the model i have, but then it would have been too much for the model, and the computer, and at the moment, im only aiming at the models, not the maps,decals,exe.

and jon, are you saying that for the alien drones they should be from the first two movies? and also, do you mean sharp edges like at the corners of the mouth? because im fixing that at the moment, so far, heres a left side view

post-9472-1169602239_thumb.jpg

one last question for today, im thinking of using the song "Pretty Woman" by Roy Orbison, and im not sure who to use it for... the Alien Queen, or the female Predator. maybe both? i dont know

several lighting tutorals from A:M and other software, any of them should help. but 3 of them are pretty advanced, but read them anyway if you want....

http://www.andrew-whitehurst.net/3point.html

http://www.ypoart.com/tutorials/skylights-intro.htm

http://warpedspace.org/Tutorial_Files/TutorialBIG.htm

http://warpedspace.org/lightingT/part1.htm

http://www.ypoart.com/tutorials/Photon-Mapping.htm

• 2 weeks later...

alright, since no one has made up their minds i'm going to make both types of models, the ones from the first 2 alien movies and the aliens from AvP.

i also made a quick test on my alien queen and posted it on YouTube, i forgot to tell you.

heres the link:

cheers, Ravager

• 2 weeks later...

ok, I decided to start modeling the 2004-type alien model..... sorry for the long wait, but it takes a while to make things on my end.

here is the head, i'm going to start on the small mouth part soon, please post any suggestions you have.

thanks

post-9472-1172089062_thumb.jpg post-9472-1172089112_thumb.jpg post-9472-1172089600_thumb.jpg

and, if you're bored, I found more songs from YouTube you might like, they ARE animes, so dont watch them if you dont like animes. *!WARNING! Extreme gore and violence !WARNING!*

SONG: WHO I AM

ARTIST: SMILE EMPTY SOUL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA24y9ciVCk...ser&search=

SONG: SCARS

ARTIST: PAPA ROACH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP-OuZlD6m0...ser&search=

Hi, I've watched the development of this model.

It looks very good.

Much attention to detail that serves it well.

The one thing I did wonder, was the teeth.

I looked closer and those chompers do have good detail....

....then I realized, they looked very reflective.

If this is a style choice, I understand.

Just thought I'd mention it.

P.S. I just watched the alien queen video. Very nice! That looks like fun to play with. Would it be alright if I borrowed that model from you to have a crack at animating it?

Hi, I've watched the development of this model.

It looks very good.

Much attention to detail that serves it well.

The one thing I did wonder, was the teeth.

I looked closer and those chompers do have good detail....

....then I realized, they looked very reflective.

If this is a style choice, I understand.

Just thought I'd mention it.

P.S. I just watched the alien queen video. Very nice! That looks like fun to play with. Would it be alright if I borrowed that model from you to have a crack at animating it?

i would love to let someone try my model, but it's not as easy as you may think.... the model doesn't have any "smart legs" as i refer to them, if you don't understand, i mean that the legs and arms aren't in a fluent motion as the legs and arms are in the models done by other people, for example, Gala.

although, if you still want the model with these "defects" reply to this post again and i will send it, although i might need your email- web address exe.

• 1 month later...

That's looking great so far!

There is one big thing that stood out to me. I found myself squinting trying to see the details in the side of the head (which are looking really good). I don't know what you're thinking as far as texturing goes--but I would reccomend bringing up the black color just a little to a dull grey. Also, you've gotten a good start on the sliminess with the spec settings, however, I think the intensity could be toned down and the size brought up just a little bit, and also try adding some reflectivity (if it's not already there).

Looks like a great start!

Lee

thanks for the compliments, and yes, it can be hard seeing the details in the side of the head because i modeled the details and made them small, here's a close up...

post-9472-1176077969_thumb.jpg

...and what percentage were you refering to on the intensity and size for the spec settings? in these next pictures (below and above) it is in 50% intensity and 150% size.

also, i have gotten the arms done

post-9472-1176076752_thumb.jpg

post-9472-1176076772_thumb.jpg

again, any comments/replies/suggestions would be appreciated

thanks guys, its good to know people appreciate my work, at least for now, lol. the intensity has been boosted up to 75%, and i have finished the upper torso

and yes, reflections are there, it's just hard to see them far away, they are at 75% reflectivity.

post-9472-1176502671_thumb.jpg post-9472-1176502693_thumb.jpg post-9472-1176503460_thumb.jpg

i appreciate the suggestions and comments, please, keep posting

I'm no genius, but I think that the hands are a little thin and almost cartoon looking, you may want to give it a bit more along the lines of knuckles ans thicker fingers. But everything looks extraordinarily good, love the queen. Keep it going!

• 3 weeks later...

ok, thanks for the suggestions and compliments so far, i did make the hands and fingers a little bit more thicker, and i also added the lower torso (legs, and feet) here are some pictures:

post-9472-1177858311_thumb.jpg post-9472-1177858332_thumb.jpg

yes, i know it looks sad without its tail, i'll get right to it

please, keep posting suggestions and coments, they help (a lot)

thanks, i haven't seen you for a while either, good to see you again! i got the model done, the only thing it needs is textures and bones, so be aware that it will be put in a test video soon

i got the small mouth part done:

post-9472-1178473496.jpg post-9472-1178473519.jpg post-9472-1178473537.jpg

and the tail is also done:

post-9472-1178473727.jpg post-9472-1178473910.jpg

i will get to work on the bones right away, keep it up with the coments and suggestions please :)