Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

displaced face

JohnArtbox

Hi, Been too busy enjoying the festive season to post much, but I spent a couple of hours trying out a different way to quickly create heads. I was after a carved puppet feel and I think it worked, especially given the time. Don't know how well it will animate. I had to try and avoid hooks, three point and five point patches, because they don't work with displacement maps, but I think you could just plan these in areas where the displacement is unnecessary. ciao

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys thanks for the commments. Answers: Christina: Hash knows about the the displacement limitations. It's one of those catch 22's. I don't think fixing it has a high priority because not many users use displacement maps, and not many users use displacement maps because of the inherent difficulties and limitations. As a workaround I just make sure that the displacement map is painted 128 grey on the problem patches and the displacement map has no effect. John: I don't think they've changed displacement maps for a while. The trick, for me, is in realising that each patch is subdivided into a 4x4 grid. Don't add too much detail or it will muddy the displacement. Also if you add features with the grain of the mesh(ie parallel to the mesh splines) then you'll get a cleaner result. It's a 10.5 render. zacktaich: I don't know if the renders are much faster. Displacement and bump both slow things down a lot :o). But can you imagine how dense the mesh for this character would have to be otherwise? And what pain it would be to modify? It's almost like having a simple weightmover built in. Here are the maps. The colour map is just the displacement overlayed on a skin tone. Also the eyes should be dark to the edge of the patch which would add definition to the lids. If I take it further I'll add coloured lips etc. Clockwise from top left Colour, Displacement(used for specularity as well), Bump and displacement overlayed on mesh. I used the cylindrical application for the decal.

Something's wrong... my head at 320x240 portrait full screen takes just under one and a half minutes using a 16 pass multipass render with a Twin Skycast light. It's not a fast render, but it's not that slow either.

It looks pretty good to me. I would love to use displacement, but I am going to have to build my character with hooks, 3, and 5- point patches hidden in areas to get it to work. Hopefully, one day they will fix the problem.

[quote]Something's wrong... my head at 320x240 portrait full screen takes just under one and a half minutes using a 16 pass multipass render with a Twin Skycast light. It's not a fast render, but it's not that slow either.[/quote] Yah I kinda knew something was wrong but thats what happened.