Hash, Inc. Forums

Rendering in different layers

loserem

Hi everyone,

I've modeled a city. Floating over this city there is an objet which casts a shadow over the city. The shape of this shadow is changed by the geometry of the city, of course. I'd like to render the city in a pass and then hide the city and render only the floating object and its shadow but if I simply turn inactive the city, the shape of the shadow changes because it doesn't reach any surface but the ground and I'd like to preserve this shape in order to composite both render in postproduction...

How can I do this?

I've tried to include the city in the object's render but making the city to be flat white the same as the background in order to remove all that white later as a luma key but, of course, if the city is flat shaded it cant receive any shadow...

Is there any way of turning the city perfecly white but allowing it to receive the shadows of this object?

Thanks for all your support

Thanks Will,

It was just what I was lookin for. My model was already white so I didn't need any plugin to remove decals and materials but preserve only the casted shadows. It's very usefull having only the shadows (and only determinate shadows) in a separate layer for compositing as you've all already know :)

Thanks again