Hash, Inc. Forums
Sign in to follow this  
case

SO HWO DO I SCALE

:D ok a while back someone told me it has to be 1% smaller for torque i dont know what that means help me out!

By the way i bought torque 1.5! :blink:

Your characters must be around 1 cm tall. This is somewhat dependent on the complete scene but 1cm is the scaling factor that is required to run Torque. This can cause some problems with actions. The characters must be rotated. Actions should be done after scaling and rotation. I use a Mac and have alot of probllems running Torque. If you are on a PC, things should be better. I am stuck wiht Torque as all my characters have been made using AM and I use a MAC. The worst of all worlds. If you do have more questions, I would be glad to help you any way I can.

Case, to scale a rigged model down you need to go into bones mode, click away from your model to select the "model bone", press "S" to select the scale tool and then drag/scale it to the correct size while holding down the Ctrl key.

When you have your model scaled down save it out with a name that indicates that it has been scaled. You can then start making your actions with this little model.

When you have made your actions you need to create a bounding box around your model and view all your actions with the box in place. If the model penetrates the box at any time while the actions are playing you know that you will need to adjust the dimensions of the box until it completely contains the model without penetrating it.

Once that is done you need to rotate your model, rig and bounding box, in bones mode, so that it is orientated the way that Torque expects it to be. Please check the documentation to ensure you have the correct orientation, but If I remember correctly your character should appear to be standing on it's head, and facing you, when viewed from the Top View.

When that is done you must copy the box to a new model and name it "bounds", I think. It has been some time since I last did this so please check the documentation. Once you have your bounds box as a seperate, scaled and re-oriented model you can delete it from your character model.

From here it is simply a matter of making sure that you have followed all the other instructions correctly and used the correct naming conventions before calling the DTS export plugin.

Once successfully exported you should be able to import the dts and action file, (dqs?, forgotten), into the Torque Show Tool to see how it looks.

Good luck and I hope that I got all of that right!

-------------------------------------------

The dts exporter is a great breakthrough for A:M users who want to produce some game content but I think there are a few awkward procedures that could be handed over to the computer rather than leaving it to error-prone humans, like me, to do. I am referring to the scaling, rotating and the generation of the bounding box. I think that all of these things could be/should be handled by the computer rather than the user. Maybe in a future release, eh?

:rolleyes: Well paul me and my game staff tried the download version and it says failed Not sure why can you help me out there?

Connor Case

Not sure. It could any number of things.

Are you able to view the Ogre that comes with the trial version of Torque Show Tool? If the trial version is working correctly and it is just the dts files that you have generated from A:M that is the problem then you just need to go over all the steps in the documentation and make sure that you haven't missed anything.

As I remember, the dts export plugin always produced an error message but the export still worked. Try viewing the dts files in Torque Show Tool.

Wait what now tell me the steps i need to do to use this! :D

Connor, If you are serious about making a game you are going to have to do alot more research on your own, not to mention programming. Viewing dts models in the Show Tool app is pretty straight forward:

Open Show Tool, set up the path to the directory that holds your dts stuff, (models and maps), select the dts file that you want to view and then play around with the various display controls. Experiment a bit. I can't open Show Tool at the moment but I may take a look later.