Hash, Inc. Forums

Turn off primary visibility?

the_black_mage

I've been looking around to get a really good render of a car I'm working on. one of the tutorals i found seems like it would work but i need to do the thing called primary visibility. in other words the model is there but not there and can be reflected by another surface with out showing on the camera, you know what i mean?

:unsure:

heres what i'm talking about....

Rendering better cars

look at no.1

• Hash Fellow

An environment map does almost the same thing. It gets reflected off the model but you don't see the map "around" the model.

an "occlusion pass" could be used in compositing to remove the differences between the environment map's simulated reflections and those environment spheres.

• Hash Fellow

This is an environment map inside a Gradient material, then the ambient intensity on the objects was cranked up to about 70%

[attachmentid=23286]

It's just a start but it didnt take 5 hours to render.

PRJ:

[attachmentid=23293]

carpaint0.jpg

carpaint.zip

• Hash Fellow

Global Axis ON is the only way to keep the "reflections" correctly oriented (they're supposed to simulate a white dome above the car, not a dome off to one side.)

The light on the ground seems excessive.

Yes you could change the environment map to darken the reflections or even change their color. Many variations are possible. When you experiment, just change one thing at a time, so you know why the result is different.

Edit: The map doesn't even have to have the dimensions that I used. For this image...

http://www.hash.com/stills/displayimage.ph...um=23&pos=2

... I used a bigger map that was black with a white square in the middle to make the shiny reflection on the red plastic on the front of the controller.

As far as the aliasing, i dont think that's the global axis at work. Something else is mis set.

You might also look into A:M's new Image Based Lighting for more accurate environmental reflection effects. But don't ask me how to set it up, I haven't used it yet.