Hash, Inc. Forums

Steam Hammer

That's truly excellent. I also checked out your models on your website. When I first started using A:M I thought "wouldn't it be cool to build a model railroad in A:M". I guess you've been at that for some time. Maybe someday I'll get the chance to give it a try. Do you have many completed scenes for your setup?

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a "steam hammer," and now I want one. Hey, wait, I do have one! This steam hammer is in Ku-Klip's Workshop. That Ku-Klip certainly is well equiped, (in a steam hammer kind of way).

It looks great, Rodger.

Thanks for all the kind comments.

"wouldn't it be cool to build a model railroad in A:M"

I couldn't agree more.

I guess you've been at that for some time.

Except for a few brief diversions, everything I've done in A:M since v1 has been focused on my personal rail empire.

Do you have many completed scenes for your setup?

Only what you've already seen. It's a slow process. As desktop hardware, A:M's capabilities and my personal standards of realism have improved, I've had to redo (and re-redo) a number of models and sets.

Maybe someday I'll get the chance to give it a try

If you ever do give it a try, on one of the A:M Extra CD's I donated a generic freight car chassis (frame, wheels, couplers, etc.). So you'd only have to build the bodies. And somewhere there's a diesel locomotive model that Jeff Cantin donated.

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a "steam hammer"

If you've ever seen antique hand tools or cutlery with the term "drop forged" stamped in them, chances are good that it was made using a similar tool.

...the realism of this steam hammer model is astounding

I think it was Jeff Cantin who said texturing may be more important than modeling when it comes to simulating real objects. I think it's a three way tie; modeling, texturing and lighting. You can't skimp on any one them.

This steam hammer is in Ku-Klip's Workshop

This isn't the texture version that's in the workshop since it uses Enhance A:M combiners (on which I've really become dependent). The major difference is that the workshop version has no chipped and rusting paint, mostly metalRustySteel.dsts.

Almost needs some 'OZing' up to me

Maybe Nancy might take a swing at the hammer. That'd be interesting.

Almost needs some 'OZing' up to me

Maybe Nancy might take a swing at the hammer. That'd be interesting.

Uh-huh...and if I did that my husband (an HOn30 model railroader, with ultra-detailed reality oriented nutticisms) would be outside my office burning crosses with all the other old guys.

Tho, I must admit, it would be fun.

Maybe someday I'll get the chance to give it a try

If you ever do give it a try, on one of the A:M Extra CD's I donated a generic freight car chassis (frame, wheels, couplers, etc.). So you'd only have to build the bodies. And somewhere there's a diesel locomotive model that Jeff Cantin donated.

I found those already and have considered what you were suggesting. Also, the other day I asked who used A:M in eastern Oklahoma and I've already had a phone conversation with someone (Steve Shelton) here in Tulsa since making that post. He turns out to be a model railroader as well. This makes me wonder if there would be any fun in a collaborative effort on an A:M model railway. It makes you wonder what Model Railroader magazine would do with photo-realistic train pictures of models that don't exist in the real world. :)

...ultra-detailed reality oriented nutticisms

You say that like it's a bad thing. :)

...would be outside my office burning crosses...

But at least the crosses would perfectly scaled.

...makes you wonder what Model Railroader magazine would do with photo-realistic train pictures of models that don't exist in the real world

I don't think they'd have any problem with them as long as they were believeably accurate but they wouldn't be a big hit with the magazine's advertising department. A CG railroad is the ultimate scratch building project (especially in A:M) but not one of the hundreds of vendors in MR magazine have anything that's useful to me other than the prototype blueprints and nobody seems to sell those. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...
A CG railroad is the ultimate scratch building project (especially in A:M) but not one of the hundreds of vendors in MR magazine have anything that's useful to me other than the prototype blueprints and nobody seems to sell those. :angry:

Hmm, could be another market for A:M...

Could start a whole new hobby. Besides supplying the basic freight car and Jeff's engine, maybe a standard straight track and one curve, a straight with a switch, some signs, railroad crossing guards...basically a 3D CG Train kit.