Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Refitting Facial Mesh to an Actual Person

Karl

I've got a very detailed photo-realistic facial mesh that I'm trying to re-fit to a 3ds prop that's a 3D scan of an actual person, I then have high resolution flat lighting orthogonal photos that I'll be using as decals...

The eyes, nose, mouth, and ears are obvious things to group and move around to match their positions on the actual face, so I've made groups for these and the surrounding patches. Later on the eyes, nose, mouth, and ears will have to be tweaked, adjusted, and (possibly) remodeled (a bit) to closely match the real person - but I'm just wanting to get them into the right relative positions to start.

The problem I'm running into is that as I move the eyes, nose, mouth, and ears around is that it does real "violence" to the rest of the mesh. I'm torn between deleting everything but the eyes, nose, mouth, and ears and then later just rebuilding them by carefully referencing the original model AND going through the pain of straightening out the parts of the mesh that get screwed up after moving the eyes, nose, mouth, and ears. A middle ground might be to delete "everything but" and later on paste it back in from the original model and reconnect.

This is a complex task and I will no doubt use Marcel's Conform plugin to handle some of the drudgery of placing CP's onto the surface of the 3ds prop. NOW IT MIGHT BE APPARENT AS TO WHY I POSTED ELSEWHERE ABOUT WRITING A WRAPPROP PLUGIN OR STAND ALONE PROGRAM. :)

Anyway, if somebody's done something like this before or has any wise insights on how to proceed, I would very much appreciate any help/advice you can offer. Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First, Same as Will advise: Use a distortion grid to reproportion your mesh features to fit with the prop.

Second: Refine the adjusting in front view by moving the CPs on X and Y to get the best match as possible. You do that with mirror mode ON.

Third, Then still in mirror mode, turn bird's eye view and with the "3" key presssed to constraint to Z displacements, pull and push the CPs to fit the prop surface.

Fourth, When all the CPs are fitted to the prop surface, you can move the CPs along the spline tangents, with the "4" key presssed (or is it "5"?), to get a better distribution of splines.

You will eventually get what you want.