Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

capture a shadow...

ALL

I am createing a simple model to export to photoshop for a logo, however i would love to have a shadow to drop on the ground. but my problem is that i am not using a ground. i deleted it because i dont want it. my question is... how can i get the shadow to fall as if there was a ground there but have the ground completely transparent, except where the shadow is?

Thanks,

-ALL

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you are compositing in Photoshop, make yourself an element!

Make a new render...named something like 'shadow'...in this one, turn the ground back on...but make it so it's pure white in color... turn OFF all lights that don't throw shadow and aim your shadow-making klieg so it throws a nice shadow from the cameras POV...also adjust the klieg's intensity/shadow %/softness/shadow color- so it throws a nice dark shadow.

Next, you will need to 'extract' that hi-contrast shadow in Photoshop. There are a dozen ways to go about this...let me know if you need me to elaborate on one of them.

Have fun!

Or...

Set up your choreography with your logo and a shadow casting light.

Turn your ground plane ON.

Expand the ground plane's Options in the Project Work Space, expand the 'Receive Shadows' option and set 'Shadow Only' to ON.

Render your image to TGA with the Alpha buffer ON in your 'Render to File Setting'.

This will give you a render of just your shadow. It will most likely look like a matt black image because it is comprised of just your shadow on a transparent, (alpha channel), background until you composite it over your coloured background image in Photoshop. Tweak to your heart's content in PS.