Hash, Inc. Forums

Plymouth Neon

agep

Hi guys. Its been a while since I've showed anything in the showcase forum. These last weeks I've been working on two cars for David Dustin. They are both 1st generation Neon's. The red one is a sedan while the purple one is a coupe. The headlights are just simple textures since they are going to be used in a dark scene.

Let me know what you think

Best regards

Stian

[attachmentid=22485][attachmentid=22486]

[attachmentid=22487][attachmentid=22488]

neonsedan0.jpg

neonsedan1.jpg

neoncoupe0.jpg

neoncoupe1.jpg

Awesome as ever, Stian!

One thing that caught my eye though is the lack of a wheel well on the rear wheels. At the moment you can see straight through to the inside of the back bumper/fender. I don't know this car though so maybe that is the way they're made. ;)

Maybe that is not a required detail for David's accident reconstructions. Maybe its just the angle of the shot. Maybe its just me...

Awesome as ever, Stian!

One thing that caught my eye though is the lack of a wheel well on the rear wheels. At the moment you can see straight through to the inside of the back bumper/fender. I don't know this car though so maybe that is the way they're made. ;)

I agree with him, the only thing about them that bugs me. Great WORK! Seriously, those are awesome!

Thanks you guys for your comments.

regarding the wheel well, the way I did it is actually not far from the real thing. There is no "wall" behind the wheel, and the bumper (which is almost just an "empty" shell) is held up by a bracket. I attached a small image of the real car, unfortunately I could not find a good angle, but you can see it is almost "empty"

[attachmentid=22489]

wheel.jpg

GREEEEAT STIAN !!!! I loved it .... very smoothed ..... just perfect .

i have a question ...

for you, which is the most difficult part to model in the car ?

I already chose mine and I would like to know if you share the same thought

Thanks Marcos.

For some unknown reason I find the side of the car (area between the wheels) the hardest part to model...

Here is a wire of the car (without the windows)

[attachmentid=22497]

neonwire.jpg

All aspiring automobile modelers should pay attention to the relatively high patch density of this great model. Just because you can minimize patch count doesn't mean it's a good idea. It's been my experience that trying to use as few patches as possible eventually bites you in the spline when trying to achieve convincingly smooth automotive surfaces.

BTW Stian, where did you get the decal images of the interior surfaces?

Thanks for the comments

BTW Stian, where did you get the decal images of the interior surfaces?

My friend happens to have a neon, so I took a few pictures of it and did some photoshop work

Both these cars are going to get messed up pretty bad though....

David

NO! Don't do it!

Amazing work, Stian! So, David...did 2 Neons actually get in an accident together?

I agree with Rodger's assesment about the splinage conservativity and accurate automobile modelling. The 'only' thing about this car that my eye went right to was the headlight....something is not 100% there. I really like the interior and it's minimal splinage.

Great work!

David- you must be getting quite a collection of cars!

I'm a backup maniac, meaning I saves out a sequential backup file for every "major" thing I do to a model. I the case of the neons that gave me approximately 70 separate files from the beginning to the end. What I did with them is that I rendered out a shaded wireframe from them all and put it together into a short videoclip. I don't think there is much to learn from this clip, its made just for fun. Hope you like it

Best regards

Stian

[attachmentid=22574]

neonprogress.mov

• Admin
I don't think there is much to learn from this clip, its made just for fun. Hope you like it

You are wrong there my friend!

Just getting a glimpse at how you put models togther is quite a learning experience.

Great stuff! :)

Thanks for posting that.

I think Stian should create a car tutorial for sale.

He has some apprehension about how to do it, but I think it would be a big seller.

Just my opinion.

(I need to be careful, don't want to have the guys I buy vehicle models from, thinking I am trying to influence the market) :lol:

David

Amazing work, my good man. A tip of the hat to you.

A couple of questions: First, what kind of lighting setup did you use? (How did you achieve that beautiful soft shadow under the vehicle?)

Secondly, is this model available to others desiring to acquire it? If so, what are the terms of its acquisition?

Joe.