Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

OBJ Import/export?

woolyloach

Ok, I'm sure the problem is on my end, but I thought I'd post here and ask just in case anyone has any helpful information.

I have a number of object in .OBJ format, with materials. Import seems to be a bit hit and miss on whether I get any materials in at all, which is pretty understandable. I have texture maps for all the materials but I'm sure there are some odd settings somewhere!

Is there anything I should look out for in importing/exporting OBJ files to use in other applications? Any gotchas, or things I shouldn't do? I have Silo and that's what I've been using to twiddle my OBJs.

I'm on AM V12 (latest release of that). If AM V13/14 has better OBJ support, I'll clear space on my credit card and update!

All help and information appreciated.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'm sure the problem is on my end, but I thought I'd post here and ask just in case anyone has any helpful information.

I have a number of object in .OBJ format, with materials. Import seems to be a bit hit and miss on whether I get any materials in at all, which is pretty understandable. I have texture maps for all the materials but I'm sure there are some odd settings somewhere!

Is there anything I should look out for in importing/exporting OBJ files to use in other applications? Any gotchas, or things I shouldn't do? I have Silo and that's what I've been using to twiddle my OBJs.

I'm on AM V12 (latest release of that). If AM V13/14 has better OBJ support, I'll clear space on my credit card and update!

All help and information appreciated.

Nevermind.. I can't get a successful OBJ import as a model from anything I have available. Ugh. The geometry comes in almost right but the materials don't show up properly. Maybe I should code my own up!

I have Silo and that's what I've been using to twiddle my OBJs.

Yes that program has a good reputation.

The shortest way though is to create a new model from scratch in A:M.

You'll spend a boat load of hours trying to get it to import, and you'll find it still isn't right.

A:M isn't intended to to work with other programs, in the sense of model interchangability.