Hash, Inc. Forums

feet?

Ravager

• Admin
how do you make the legs follow the feet? like with those models in the extra cd?

You mean in the sense of animation? Modeling?

If animation you'll want your foot bone to be a child of the leg bones and your leg bones to be a child of the body. Exercise 13: Show some backbone runs through this heirarchical rigging process pretty well.

Rodney

You need to learn rigging. That is the short answer.

Doing the tutorials in the Art of Animation:Master is a good place to start.

The simplest solution for you is to create a skeleton that has foot controls near the top of the hierarchy and have the calves constrained to aim at and translate to them. The legs would be kinematic chains.

That should be enough to get you started but I recommend that you do the tutorials first and take a closer look at the constraints and hierarchy in any rigs that you have from the CD .

• Hash Fellow

The "Show Some Backbone" tutorial shows how to scale the premade rig to fit a character. For most characters it will work well and you don't need know about most constraints. Follw the tut and scale it to match your character instead of Thom.

But it doesn't cover constraints. If you want to know more about how the constraints work, here's a walk thru on the simplest possible IK leg

Simplest_IK_Leg_H.mov

Once you digest that there's a written tut on a more functional IK leg setup

David Rogers' Tut

• 3 months later...
Once you digest that there's a written tut on a more functional IK leg setup

David Rogers' Tut

I've used that tutorial as well, but unfortunately the webpage has "expired on 02/08/2007 and is pending renewal or deletion."

If you happen to own his book, Animation:Master A Complete Guide, the same leg setup is taught there. It is a really good starting point for setting up IK legs. Personally, I use his foot setup (with a few minor changes), but a completely different setup for the thigh and calf.

As a side note, I recommend buying David's book to anyone who is trying to learn A:M. It touches on some things not covered in TAoA:M.

EDIT - Looks like the web page is up and running again.