Hash, Inc. Forums

Adv ATAT Leg rigging, (telescoping thigh) question...

ars

I set up my model with simple eular constraints and it worked very well.

However, I now need a more advanced set-up in order to preserve authenticity to the subject matter.

My issue is in the thigh area, the thigh telescopes slightly to compensate for non-organic walk movement.

(Specificly, there are ALWAYS 3 feet touching the ground)

I tried quite a few diff setups, I seem to either end up in a circular constraint or scaling children which I can not use.

Any tips or suggestions for this type of setup?

(The legs do not attach to the body where the top of the leg is, there is a bone attached near the center of the body that actually drives the leg, this is complicated matters for me since all leg bones end up as children of this bone)

[attachmentid=22330]

post-10126-1163739129_thumb.jpg

• Hash Fellow

Hmmm... tricky.... here's my entry.

[attachmentid=22337]

It's not quite as intuitive as a regular IK leg chain, but I think it would be usable.

Most of the motion is animated by craning the calf bone into appropriate positions; the foot is adjusted afterwards.

project:

[attachmentid=22336]

ATAT_leg07a.zip

ATATlegWalk2.mov

Wow, very creative solution Robert, Im gonna try to pull it off, unfortunatly I cant open the .prj file since im still using an older version of AM.

Im gonna give the pose method a go as well Chad, I was reluctant to attempt this method since I knew you were having trouble with the poses earlier.

Thanks a ton to both of you, I had hit a brick wall on my own.

Here is an example of using Pose sliders that I set up on my AT-AT.

For the legs, I have a Pose slider to control the telescoping thigh bone. What I did was translate the bone up at 0% and down for 100%. I also adjusted the control points on the 'pistons' so they would alternate between 0% and 100%. I can now get precise reproducable poses as needed.

I also used three different Pose sliders for the neck and head. One to look left and right, one to look up and down, and one to rotate the head.

I would give you a project file, but I am using version 13 and it sounds like you have an older version.

Hope this helps...

Al

[attachmentid=22350]

at_at.mov

Robert:

I took a look at your project that you posted, and it is quite brilliant. It looks like a much, much cleaner and simpler method than I was using. If you don't mind, I think I am going to try and implement it in my AT-AT.

Ars:

What version of A:M are you using? I also have version 12 that I can try and duplicate Robert's project.

Al

Robert:

I took a look at your project that you posted, and it is quite brilliant. It looks like a much, much cleaner and simpler method than I was using. If you don't mind, I think I am going to try and implement it in my AT-AT.

Ars:

What version of A:M are you using? I also have version 12 that I can try and duplicate Robert's project.

Al

Unfortunatly Im still using 9.5.

Im hoping to upgrade soon (prolly after our child is adequetly spoiled for the holidays..heh)

Could you post a sshot of the constraints used? That might be enough of a reference for me to work from.

Im just trying to get back into the swing of things on these models, I plan on releasing them once Im done, perhaps we should start an AM repository for Star Wars models..lol.

Up next, snowspeeder pilot, & probot...

Ars:

Here is a screen shot of the set up as provided by Robert. I have drawn lines from the bones in the PJW to the bones in the model window. You can see the hiearchary of the bones as well as the relationships that are being used.

When I added the bone setup up to my AT-AT (have two legs completed so far), I modified the thigh bone so it wasn't pointing to thigh 2. This requires an extra manual manipulation of the leg, but was necessary as it was not letting the leg extend forward properly without raising the leg higher than the body would allow.

Roberts version...

[attachmentid=22416]

... and how I implemented in my AT-AT.

[attachmentid=22417]

Hope this helps...

Al

atat_leg07a.jpg

als_at_at.jpg