Hash, Inc. Forums

Unassigned CP's

Karl

I'm working on a complex rig and it's very difficult for me to manually select the unassigned CP's. Does A:M have the capability to group these or lock/hide all other CP's? This would certainly make my work a lot easier for this complex rig. Any help would be most appreciated... :unsure:

The easiedt way is to create all of your groups when modeling, then when rigging comes you just hide the gorups you dont want in modeling mode (F5) then switch to bones mode (F6). that way it is not cluttered when working with complex models. Other than that I dont think there is a way for AM to select unaddigned CPs in bones mode. Hope this helps

Chad

If you are using V13 or later on a PC or Mac, then Steffen Gross's Mirrorbones is the best way to manage CP weighting.

As well as mirroring bones and doing CP weighting, it actually does lots more.

It detects and groups all CP's that are not correctly mirrored.

It groups all unweighted CP's.

It identifies all CP's with illegal weighting (the A:M CP Weighting tool does get a bit mixed up at times).

It can output some diagnostic text files. One of the problems with using weighting is that it is easy to end up with a portion of weighting on a CP still assigned to the model bone. It often is not all that easy detecting this within A:M. Using the Mirrorbones log files, all you have to do is this. Say the model is called "Model1". Just do a text search in the logfiles for "Model1". If you find it, note the CP ID#.

How do you locate a particular CP from it's ID model in A:M? Well I guess you could use another of Steffen's plugins called "Select". It can find CP's from the ID number. . It can group all 5 point patches, patches with hooks, 5 point patches with hooks.

http://www.sgross.com/plugins/index.html

Thanks for the info guys... I ended up working with multiple windows open for the same window, some in bones mode and some in modeling mode. What I had to do would have been easier if A:M would simply group unassigned CP's or CP's assigned to selected bone(s) as the Unassigned Group. I GUESS I'LL SUBMIT A FEATURE REQUEST...

What I had to do would have been easier if A:M would simply group unassigned CP's

But that is exactly what the Mirrorbones plugin I mentioned in my last post does do right now. Just add the plugin and then A:M does have exactly the feature you want.

I don't quite understand why you would do a feature request for a feature that you have available right now.

Richard Harrowell.

What I had to do would have been easier if A:M would simply group unassigned CP's

But that is exactly what the Mirrorbones plugin I mentioned in my last post does do right now. Just add the plugin and then A:M does have exactly the feature you want.

I don't quite understand why you would do a feature request for a feature that you have available right now.

Richard Harrowell.

Richard,

The Mirrorbones plugin does SO MANY other things that just reading the doc kind of scared me off... Anyway I just happened upon an (undocumented?) A:M feature. If you double click on a bone, it will automagically create an Untitled group with all the CP's exclusively assigned to that bone. My testing showed that this works for all bones but the model bone, so initially assigning all model CP's to a temporary bone and then double clicking to get updated (otherwise unassigned) Untitled groups could effect the same result that I was originally wanting (creating a group of all "unassigned" CP's). I didn't see this documented anywhere I just kind of happened across it as I was ape-ing away on my PC. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...