Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Simple 'knee' constraint for an AT-AT...

ars

What would be the best constraint to use for a simple knee joint?

I need to constrain the legs of a Star Wars Imperial Walker.

You can see the model in this thread:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25070

I wasnt going to bother rigging the model since I only need one walk cycle, but when creating an action, the legs twist all over the place.

Im just getting back to AM after an extended hiatus (Im still using 9.5) and im VERy rusty, especially on rigging (modelling is my strength).

What constraint would be the best for restricting the leg to only forward and backward movement (no side to side)?

Would greatly appreciate ANY imput possible.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you could use a euler or create a master bone that goes from the thigh joint to the ankle then add another bone that is just infront of and a chiled of the master bone and then use Aim Roll at constraint, the master bone will have an Aim at constraint to your foot target and turn "scale to target" on

Euler constraints are what I am using on my own AT-AT ( http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24581 ). They work great for limiting the bones to move in the X axis. And by setting the Minimum and Maximum X values, I can control just how far the leg will pivot at the joints.

One thing I have noticed, and it may be my inexperience with A:M, but the euler constraints seem to work just fine in chor mode, but have no effect in action mode. I have also been using slider controls for some of the AT-AT movement, such as in the middle leg section where it slides in and out of the upper leg section. I have also used slider controls for turning the head from left to right, up and down, as well as rotating the head. I think I may look at implementing slider controls for the leg movement as well.

By the way, the modelling on your AT-AT and snow speeder look great!

Al

Euler constraints are what I am using on my own AT-AT ( http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24581 ). They work great for limiting the bones to move in the X axis. And by setting the Minimum and Maximum X values, I can control just how far the leg will pivot at the joints.

One thing I have noticed, and it may be my inexperience with A:M, but the euler constraints seem to work just fine in chor mode, but have no effect in action mode. I have also been using slider controls for some of the AT-AT movement, such as in the middle leg section where it slides in and out of the upper leg section. I have also used slider controls for turning the head from left to right, up and down, as well as rotating the head. I think I may look at implementing slider controls for the leg movement as well.

By the way, the modelling on your AT-AT and snow speeder look great!

Al

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I applied eular constraints to all the joints and its exactly what I was looking for.

Love your AT-AT also Al, grewat work, and DANG! I was hoping people wouldnt notice the way the upper leg slides into itself since im not bothering with animating that yet..lol.

I did a very roguh walk cycle last night but I am having trouble reproducing an authentic look (I dont think they ever did a full cycle for the movies, at least I havent found any reference to one yet).

I was rather surprised at the lack of detail in the actual studio models used in the movies, the ESB models do not hold up very well to close scrutiny, an ATAT can not even stand with its legs straight since the feet are too large.