Hash, Inc. Forums

Rigging a camera in the choreography??

Frank Silas

Hi guys,

I was going through a great book called "Matchmoving" the Invisible Art of Camera Tracking. The first

tutorial has you parent a camera to a null as a simple camera rig in 3d. So you move the null to control the camera. Now I'm using version 13 of Animation Master. It seems as though I'd have to create a model that has a camera in the model to do that. But this type of camera does not seem accessible once you drop it into the choreography like the default camera is. You can't delete the default camera and have this camera with a rig take over from there either. Perhaps I'm just doing it wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions on parenting objects in the choreography/and or creating camera rigs in Animation Master?

On top of doing this Matchmoving stuff I would also want to create different camera rigs to better control the types of shots I'm getting. If you've seen the making of 'Monster House' they've done some amazing things with cg camera rigs to recreate realistic camera motion.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Frank Silas

http://www.franksilas.com

In V13, you can still constrain a camera to a Null, but you can also use a camera in a model if you want to.

Accessing it is no problem.

Pressing the "1" key on the numeric keypad will scroll through the different camera views, including cameras attached to models.

In a model, Camera's and Light's are treated as Bones, so to access them in the Choreography, you need to remove the red cross on the Choreography entry so that you can access more then just drivers.

Richard Harrowell.

Hi Richard,

thank you. Yes, I tried using all of the different constraint types. None of them really recreate the same behavior you would get if you were able to parent a camera to a null (making the camera the child) within the choreography. So my second attempt was to create a model that uses a camera parented to a bone for the rig . But I couldn't access the camera freely .....ah..that's it! I didn't have the red cross removed to access the choreography entry. Thank you Richard.

Frank Silas

http://www.franksilas.com