Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Tirpitz and Bismarck

agep

Some of you might remember the thread about the German WWII battleship Bismarck I started some months ago. After I finished Bismarck I accidentally came in touch with the author of the drawings I had used as referances and rotoscopes. He was at that time working on a book of Tirpitz for the Norwegian museum of defense. All ended up with me converting the Bismarck into Tirpitz to be used as illustrations for the book:)

btw if someone is interested, here is a LINK to information about the book (with som samples)

Here is a few personal renders for you to inspect:

The first render features both Tirpitz and Bismarck, the others are Tirpitz only

Let me know what you think

*Edit* I've just uploaded the Tirpitz to CGTalk

Best regards

Stian

[attachmentid=21854] [attachmentid=21855] [attachmentid=21856] [attachmentid=21858] [attachmentid=21859]

tirpitzandbismarck.jpg

tirpitz1.jpg

tirpitz2.jpg

tirpitz3.jpg

tirpitz4.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to say you have a real talent for creating mechanical models. I'm really impressed by the scope and level of detail in these models. Fantastic work!

Sometimes I'm amazed at how quickly you crank some of these things out, too, given the detail and precision you put into them.

I can see why the author wanted to use your model.

Bill Gaylord

Thank you all for your comments

Wonderful work!

I really like the graphic camoflage design which I presume is authentic Razzle-Dazzle style.

Yes the camouflage is authentic (for the period July 1943 - March 1944), eventhough I was no aware that this kind of camouflage had such a funny name... lol

Very nice work!

What was the patch count?

I think the patch count ended at approximately 180K

Congrats Stian That's really cool! How much change was there from the Bismark to the Tirpitz? They both look amazing. Great work

They are at first glance very similar, but they are actually quite different. Mainly midships (look at the placement of the cranes, mid cannons and lifeboats), but also a lot of changes is done on the deck details, masts, main tower and on the rangefinders (look especially on the top of the main tower). It took me a few weeks to upgrade it

I've also uploaded Tirpitz to *CGTalk*

is the hand railing supposed to go through the planes pontoon like that?

Yes they are! kidding. That is one of many bugs after the converting that didnt get picked up by me... You kind of get blind looking at 180K patches... lol good catch! I also noticed some crossing of the railings on the opposite side of the plane also.. but I dont think It will get fixed... not now atleast

Very Impressive!

This must be the most complex and patch-intensive artwork ever made in A:M!

Since curently I'm also dealing with very patch-intensive project (as you allready know ;-)) I'm very interested about your experience and building strategy (I have noticed that when patch count exceeds 10.000, modeling become unbearable slow). So I would also like to know about the "juicy" details like: patchcount, rendertimes, how many working-hours did you put in that model etc...

Congratulations once more!

Thanks

Very Impressive!

This must be the most complex and patch-intensive artwork ever made in A:M!

Since curently I'm also dealing with very patch-intensive project (as you allready know ;-)) I'm very interested about your experience and building strategy (I have noticed that when patch count exceeds 10.000, modeling become unbearable slow). So I would also like to know about the "juicy" details like: patchcount, rendertimes, how many working-hours did you put in that model etc...

Congratulations once more!

The complete boat is assembled by 21 separate models (total 180K patches). Each model do have a patchcount counting from about 2.5K to 20K. The largest ones are as you mention really slow. The rendertimes did vary allot depending on how close they where (closeups tends to render allot slower), I don't remember the times exactly but approximately 15min for a 1280x640 side render and a few hours for a closeup? It took me about a month and a half making the Bismarck, working few hours a day on and off.

Stian

Hi Stian,

Wonderfull work!!!!!!!!!!

One minor thing, the glas-cockpits of the Arado-planes seems to be a little too wide/big to my impression. Its nitpicking (and maybe I am even not right) , but since the whole thing is so detailed maybe you might like to control that also....

What`s next? Maybe the Yamato??

;>) Jake

• Admin

Great to hear your Bismarck model got extended life as the Tirpitz.

I had been wondering what you might do with it.

If you ever get a chance to save it out as a binary project (.prjb) for HAMR that be a great way to let people see the detail close up without releasing the model itself. I'd sure love to see it up close and personal.

I'm sure most people would be put off by the slow response of the full models realtime drawing time.

It seemed like Jody K's Golden Gate Bridge ran a bit faster in realtime via HAMR than via A:M.

I didn't do any extensive tests however.

For some reason your modeling makes me want to break out and (attempt to) build a physical/plastic model or two. I probably haven't done that since a teenager. In a few shots I can almost smell the glue and plastic on your model.

Beautiful work Stian!

• 1 month later...