Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Water Effects

SCDonnelly

Hello all!

I'm an Interactive Media Student, majoring in Film, Video and Audio Production. After taking a class in Maya, i bought this program to help myself with my own projects. I have owned Animation Master since July and have worked with it very little due to time constraints. I can model efficiently and compile images together and know some basic animation in A:M.

Now that you know where i stand skill wise (beginner) my question.

Does anyone have any tips on creating fluid effects such as a body of water? I can create a simple grid and apply the water effect to it, but as far as animating it and compositing into a live action video, i need to get waves and the ripples moving.

Any help would be great!

Reply here for everyone to see, or e-mail me at: s_c_films@yahoo.com (subject: Water Effects in A:M)

Thanks everyone!

-Chris

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one tutorial for underwater effect:

http://www.zandoria.com/caustics.htm

For the waves on the surface, I would try an animated material displacement.

Check-out the ocean in this demo reel of effects for "Miss Castaway". The scene where Noah's Ark breaks in half and sinks. In that scene, the ocean was a modeled disk, with the camera at the center. It just rotated past, while a surface constraint kept the boat in the water...

http://amfilms.hash.com/search/entry.php?entry=694

If you are really after liquid-effects like some people archieve with metaballs:

Blobbies can properly help you...

Perhaps they can, but their power is limited.

But a really dynamic fluid system is not yet available for A:M.

*Fuchur*

If you are looking for effective cartoon effects, the tuts above are a pretty good start. If you are looking for a "photo-real" movie special effect (like a tidal wave crashing over New York or a parting waterfall like in The Incredibles), movie companies have large staffs of effects artists working on a shot like that for months. There isn't really a drop in "water effect".