Hash, Inc. Forums

render in quicktime is black

lkwebb21

Help!!!

I've seen on the forum that quicktime with sorenson 3 is great, but when I render the .mov its all black.

What do I need to change?

Also I read that only newbies render directly to quicktime. What is a good step by step process for rendering. I also see that everyone recommends rendering to .tga , why? How do you use it after its rendered to .tga?

I know its a lot of questions, but I want professional results, and I'm not getting them yet.

A:M 11

Who says only newbies render directly to QT? That's nonesense, everybody renders to QT for the simple reason that some forum members own Macs and QT is an Apple product so they can watch your work. QT is the choice for many professionals.

Now to your problem, check to see that your camera is not hidden behind a wall or some obstacle/obstruction.

Who says only newbies render directly to QT? That's nonesense, everybody renders to QT for the simple reason that some forum members own Macs and QT is an Apple product so they can watch your work. QT is the choice for many professionals.

Now to your problem, check to see that your camera is not hidden behind a wall or some obstacle/obstruction.

No, its not hidden or anything. It renders in tga and avi. Not the best quality though, but thats a seperate issue.

Is your camera Active (ON)?

Are you in Chor. window?

Are your lights on?

Go back and check each item carefully. If you can't find anything, screen capture or zip the project and post it here so that others can have a chance to look at it.

Good luck.

Yes to all the questions.

This screen shot is 10Mb is that ok or is there a way to cut it down. I've never done this before

10Mb for a screen shot is way, way too much. Save it as a JPEG then post it.

Did you play the movie in QT? I mean close A:M and play QT?

Also I read that only newbies render directly to quicktime. What is a good step by step process for rendering. I also see that everyone recommends rendering to .tga , why? How do you use it after its rendered to .tga?
Rendering directly to QuickTime is fine for short, quickly rendering, disposable test pieces. Rendering to TGA is recommended for final render as it's a non-lossy format - which means that when you do create a compressed movie from those TGAs, you're starting from pristine images. Another reason for rendering to TGA is that should the rendering process be interrupted (power cut, cat throwing up on the keyboard, etc) then at worst you've lost one frame, and can restart from where you left off - if you're rendering to a QT file you lose the lot.

As for creating a movie file from those TGAs... I coughed up for a QT Pro key, which lets you import a sequence of images and export using any of a wide selection of codecs. You could, of course, import your TGA image sequence back into A:M, apply it as an animated decal to a flat plane, point a camera at it, and render that out as a QT file.

Yes, it is just black. Ok I hope I did this right.

Here is directly after rendering.

[attachmentid=21438]

Here is after I click the screen.

[attachmentid=21439]

Rendering directly to QuickTime is fine for short, quickly rendering, disposable test pieces. Rendering to TGA is recommended for final render as it's a non-lossy format - which means that when you do create a compressed movie from those TGAs, you're starting from pristine images. Another reason for rendering to TGA is that should the rendering process be interrupted (power cut, cat throwing up on the keyboard, etc) then at worst you've lost one frame, and can restart from where you left off - if you're rendering to a QT file you lose the lot.

As for creating a movie file from those TGAs... I coughed up for a QT Pro key, which lets you import a sequence of images and export using any of a wide selection of codecs. You could, of course, import your TGA image sequence back into A:M, apply it as an animated decal to a flat plane, point a camera at it, and render that out as a QT file.

Ok, that makes a lot of sense. I just got the pro last night. I can't wait to use it. If I can get it to work in am. Thanks for the tip.

post-3300-1160923924_thumb.jpg

post-3300-1160924029_thumb.jpg

It has many advantages to render first to a TGA-sequency, because you wont loose anything when A:M shuts down or anything else is happening. And you can use the uncompressed data to use other compressions, etc.

*Fuchur*

3d ArtZ Website (Mike FitzGerald(?)) has a free .tga to QT .mov conversion program, called Image2Movie.

I like rendering to tga to experiment with filters etc in Photoshop, then joining them together.

There's a pencil animation program with a free option - Plastic Animation - where you can sketch an animation, then output to tga, blend with a background in Photoshop, then use Mike's program to put it together.

lol

I guess if its not supposed to play in am then thats why its not playing.

I still don't know why it wouldn't play in qt before, but it does now.

3d ArtZ Website (Mike FitzGerald(?)) has a free .tga to QT .mov conversion program, called Image2Movie.

I like rendering to tga to experiment with filters etc in Photoshop, then joining them together.

There's a pencil animation program with a free option - Plastic Animation - where you can sketch an animation, then output to tga, blend with a background in Photoshop, then use Mike's program to put it together.

I'll have to check that out, sounds cool. Can't do it until the weekend though. I usually work 12 to 16 hours during the week.