Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Space pod start

case

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Case

what is it that you are asking? is it the creasing that is in the front of the pod?

if you post a wireframe of the pod it would be easier for us to give you advice, off the cuff it looks like the group of CP's at the tip of the nose(half dome front) are not together. or are not aligned. that would cause this to happen.

but its better if you post a wireframe pic and then we would be able to see what you did and try to help you fix it up.

Leo

Hey Case

Ok, this is a problem that I have run into before.

this usually happens when you lathe something like your dome shape and the first CP is not exactly on the 0 of the axis..

Here is an example: see the marked CP is not exactly on the green line. (0)

[attachmentid=21414]

When it is lathed it will make a hole in the top like this

[attachmentid=21415]

now if you go to the front view and lasso the top CP's like this

[attachmentid=21416]

and resize them (make them come together and you go too far over then they overlap causing this

[attachmentid=21417]

but if you then size them to the exact centre you will get this

[attachmentid=21418]

The best way is to get your very first CP exactly on the 0 and then' make your shape and lathe.

I hope this helps

Leo

post-9079-1160862565_thumb.jpg

post-9079-1160862593_thumb.jpg

post-9079-1160862618_thumb.jpg

post-9079-1160862652_thumb.jpg

post-9079-1160862677_thumb.jpg

Instead of using an axe, LOL, what I do if I need ideas is to do a google image search (i.e. "Space Ship" or "Space Pod").

Rusty

PS: You might look here:

S:\Virtualmedia\WIP\BookTrailers\01 SciFi\SpiralSlayer\SpiralSlayerSite\wip\modeling\shipsout\index.html

but... plz don't copy any of my stuff 'exactly' . :-)

Rusty

PS: You might look here:

S:\Virtualmedia\WIP\BookTrailers\01 SciFi\SpiralSlayer\SpiralSlayerSite\wip\modeling\shipsout\index.html

but... plz don't copy any of my stuff 'exactly' . :-)

NEVER would i copy your awesome work! Im 13 years old i really am wanting to do my own work

Case -

Wow! Whooo DOCTOR! Hang a star on that one!! That's a little bit different huh!! Most excellent! Nope... didn't copy that from me! I don't have anything like that! Now your cooking!

NEVER would i copy your awesome work! Im 13 years old i really am wanting to do my own work

I was kidding!!! I know you wouldn't! You wouldn't have to! I'm not that good at space ships despite the fact that I've been a total space sci-fi freak for 30 years. Sad but true, the 'awesome' stuff you see there was either done by another artist helping me or, if by me, closely based on someone else's work. I'm right up front about that. I make sure to change it enough to keep it short of outright theft but I do what I got to to get there.

Seriously, if I were 13 I'd have some drop dead ideas too. I'm wanting to do my own work too but I'm only 57 and so I have to work for it. LOL! The Loud Lander -- now that is classic Rusty without looking around for something existing to base it on. I'm in disparate need for a replacement of that model (want to help me out?)!

Way cool!

Rusty

PS: Thinking about a head on collision would have stopped me from imagining that design -- when you get to my age crap like that stumps your creativity and there's no reason for it -- the glass bubble right out in front is totally cool. Anyway I can't remember seeing a design quite like that ever before. Way to go!

Case,

Last night I tested some software that might allow me to make tutorials (AM as well as others). I needed to do something so I grabbed your space pod sketch and started in. As this was my first time using the capture SW I did not try to do audio, just video. Also I was leaning what worked and what didn’t so I stumble a little at first (double clicking and some shortcut keys do not work). Finally the screen size is very large but this seems to scale down to something people with smaller screens can use. Also, I focused more on the capture program rather then modeling and use shortcut keys which can’t be seen. Still most of what I do is obvious so the video may help you and others just starting out.

Its 'almost' a good modeling tutorial. It can be found here:

http://www.virtualmediastudios.com/spacepod.wmv

Also, the model that was created making this is attached below. It is not perfect and not complete. When you open it do a render lock.

[attachmentid=21486]

Please leave feedback on the video allowing that there is no audio.

Cheers,

Rusty

PS: The video missed two steps at the end:

1. I selected the glass group and from a side view did copy/paste and moved the copy back and shrunk it a bit. Then I joined it with the glass group on the sides and then ‘added’ all of this to the ‘glass’ group and changed the attributes of this group. You’ll see all of this.

2. I created a few groups and added a few materials to these to make it look better.

as i said before i modeled once before im not going to model again love the tutrial though i wante a more sleek model not so detailed if ya know what i mean! And rusty if you watch the show futurama i love the shaders for that show is there a shader in a:m that is like that? Or something close?

:) In the past i worked in 3ds max 7.5 my friend made a prop for me!

Its not done im going to do somethings to it!

dropship0.jpg

And rusty if you watch the show futurama i love the shaders for that show is there a shader in a:m that is like that? Or something close

Is 'futurama' a TV show? I don't watch TV believe it or not -- use to 20 years ago but now the thought of sitting in front of a box for hours doing absolutely nothing (not moving, not thinking, only blinking) listening to recorded laughter so you know what's funny... nope, not for me. I use to watch Star Trek NG and occasionally my wife tells me about a Discovery documentary that I'll watch but that's it. Maybe a rented movie once a month when I need a break.

But I digress.

Sorry don't know what shaders you are referring to. Hopefully someone else will. There is so much to learn in AM like all the shaders. I too used Max -- XSI as well (used on college) -- before discovering AM. Not sure I would ever go back to polygonal based programs.

There was a lot of good stuff in that tut but with no audio these are wasted. Like always building only one half of any symmetrical object, how to cut a model in half without leaving all those pesky cross splines, how to use the deformation box for more then just deformation and other little goodies. Next time. I've seen so many video tuts that do things the long way instead of using ways that are much faster or better I've been seriously thinking about putting together a tut. Perhaps these people have a reason for doing things in a way that takes 60 seconds instead of an alternate way that takes 5 seconds... I don't know.

Didn't mean to steal your modeling experience by doing it for you! This didn't occur to me. Its good that you want it a different way.

Cheers,

Rusty

Is 'futurama' a TV show? I don't watch TV believe it or not -- use to 20 years ago but now the thought of sitting in front of a box for hours doing absolutely nothing (not moving, not thinking, only blinking) listening to recorded laughter so you know what's funny... nope, not for me. I use to watch Star Trek NG and occasionally my wife tells me about a Discovery documentary that I'll watch but that's it. Maybe a rented movie once a month when I need a break.

Sorry don't know what shaders you are referring to. Hopefully someone else will. There is so much to learn in AM like all the shaders. I too used Max -- XSI as well (used on college) -- before discovering AM. Not sure I would ever go back to polygonal based programs.

There was a lot of good stuff in that tut but with no audio these are wasted. Like always building only one half of any symmetrical object, how to cut a model in half without leaving all those pesky cross splines, how to use the deformation box for more then just deformation and other little goodies. Next time. I've seen so many video tuts that do things the long way instead of using ways that are much faster or better I've been seriously thinking about putting together a tut. Perhaps these people have a reason for doing things in a way that takes 60 seconds instead of an alternate way that takes 5 seconds... I don't know.

Didn't mean to steal your modeling experience by doing it for you! This didn't occur to me. Its good that you want it a different way.

Cheers,

Rusty

That sounded offesive but i mean i love how you did this! I wanted i sleek body to it I took the idea from nasa to make this car if it can be called!

Your dad is a great artist Case and it looks like you are following in his footsteps.

Even with out sound Rusty, that was a very informative tutorial. Hope you do more of them.

The picture of the space pod reminds me a bit of the ship Mark Whalberg used when he crashed into the Planet Of The Apes (Tim Burton's version).

Keep up the good work...

Al

1. in futurama the ships and some other things were cell-shaded. you should try messing with the ton shader if you want that look.

2. i belive your talking about an alpha channal...i'm assuming you have photo shop? i think you can sellect erase and when you draw a chekerd background should come up, thats the transparency. but i'm not shure if its like that in photo shop, i don't own it.