Hash, Inc. Forums

Need help rigging my paper cutout guy

someawfulbridge

Alright. I am rigging a paper cutout guy--his torso and face are paper, and his limbs are wire scotch-taped to the body. I'm now rigging the guy, and am having problems with the "paper" of the body. If I try to get the upper, taped parts of the wire limbs to move, and have the paper (and, by extension, tape) follow, the tape deforms at a different rate than the paper, and tends to go through the body, rather than follow along nicely. I've tried various mesh rearrangements, bone assignments, &c., to no avail. (You can see from the visible skeleton pic that I've tried to different leg riggings--the left leg has a long bone that goes to the top of the thigh-wire, including the paper to which it's taped; the other doesn't bend until a part not taped to the body.) Any recommendations? I don't want or need much paper movement, just a little bend to give the wires more, um, natural (?) movement.

Will this require (god forbid) digging into smartskin and muscle poses, to force the tape to do my bidding at a micromanagement level?

I can successfully rig it where the body doesn't bend at all, but stays rigid, and any limb movement happens outside of the confines of the paper body, but that's just not making me extraordinarily happy.

Full, unposed picture of Georges:

[attachmentid=21152]

Detail of tape looking good attached to an unbent torso:

[attachmentid=21153]

Detail of tape disappearing in/through paper when paper is bent:

[attachmentid=21154]

Front view of tape poking through when body is bent. Notice that a patch of decal disappears, too, leading me to suspect that the back layer of the paper is actually coming THROUGH the front. Also notice that the right leg, which doesn't bend until clear of the body, looks pretty good:

[attachmentid=21155]

A look at the bone placements. The two legs still have different approaches applied.

[attachmentid=21156]

Cheers--

Mark

post-8763-1160153513_thumb.jpg

post-8763-1160153573_thumb.jpg

post-8763-1160153623_thumb.jpg

post-8763-1160153748_thumb.jpg

post-8763-1160153803_thumb.jpg