Hash, Inc. Forums

How to Align Vertices to Flatten a Plane...

Laconic

Hello,

I have a character face that should be flat, but the surface is actually has "ripples" and little intentations. I'd like to align the control vertices to one plane, to help flatten this out.

In Maya, I can simply select the points, turn on the grid and then move the points, which aligns them on my chosen axis.

Is there a way to do similar in A:M?

Thanks,

Tim

It's hard to tell what exactly it is, but I assume you've scaled the face as flat as possible with the scale manipulator or the flatten tool.

It's possible some of the ripples are caused by the patches being stretched relative to their neighbouring ones. To avoid this, you should also flatten the neighbouring patches round the area you want to flatten. You can however, use the bias handles from a side view of the offending areas and align them with your flattened patches.

I think you guys are missing the point. You can have all the front face CPs in a line and still end up with ripples, due to the nature of splines.

There are several solutions, using (in various proportions) peaking, bias tweaking, and CP positioning.

The latter, for example...

[attachmentid=21089]

Or, if you don't mine a sharp edge around the flat face, peak the radial spline CPs around that edge.

post-221-1159951804_thumb.jpg