Hash, Inc. Forums

My Very First 3D character

GraphicAnime

This is my first time modeling a complete 3D figure. [b]The Hair is fixed! Disregard the Topic description [/b] :D Here are some sample renderings of my project. I am at intermediate level with A:M The scene with the buildings was giving me some problems. I was using a streaking particle system. I wanted to create some kind of electrical force field around the building with the big orb. When I rendered it, it kept on crashing. There was some kind of bug in the streak particle system in some of the frames.I think I will keep it simple. Does anyone have tips on creating a good looking and simple force field?

Edited by DigiAnimeGirl

Your normals are probably backwards for those 5-point patches. To see the normals hit Shift+1. You will see yellow arrows coming from each patch. All of these arrows should face outwards. If they don't on your 5-point patches select the cps that make up the patch, right-click and select "Flip Normal" from the list of options. This should put your hair back to normal. Make sure to refresh your screen (Spacebar).

Thanks For the replies. I am doing this for a school project. It is an independent studies project for Multimedia Computer Science. I was in a rush to model the character and buildings, so I can get into animating right away. There are still some things I am not sure how to do in A:M. I'm still learning about this product. I first bought A:M 2003 in February, 2003. I am still trying to figure out how to use the different constraint. When modeling a character's body, is there a [b]specific number[/b] of splines that are needed for animating? Thank You, :P

I'm still working toward my own first short, so take this with a grain of salt, but it seems that it might be useful to find pictures of wireframes of other models that have been used to animate the same sort of thing you're trying to do. i.e., to do more cartoony animation, look for cartoony models that you like the animation of, and try to track down the wireframes of the characters... in your case, maybe find some wireframe pics of the models from the final fantasy games? I don't think there's a specific NUMBER of splines to use- Just don't use more than you need to make the expressions or actions you want to make... extra splines can just make things look lumpy. So plot out your animation in your head (or on paper first) and figure out what your model needs to do, and then add or subtract geometry to let it do that. Hope that helps! ;)