Hash, Inc. Forums

Kinematic Constraint not always 'holding on'

Octropos

Howdy all!

I am having some unexpected behaviour with a kinematic constraint to a null.

The setup:

I have a chain of 8 bones (it's in a tentacle, but that probably doesn't matter much) running vertically (parent is at the top, bone #8 is at the bottom).

I have a null that is doing the actual moving around.

I apply a Kinematic Constraint from bone # 8 (end of the chain) to the null.

Bone #8 now 'moves' over to the null, dragging it's parent bones along (just like if I'd grabbed bone 8 and moved it manually). This is expected.

Things go fine until the null raises (translates in the +Y direction) up past about 1/2 the length of the chain. After a certain height bone #8 still points at the null but is no longer 'attached' (doesn't raise up anymore), even though there is sufficient 'room' in the chain to reach the null's present location (confirmed by manually dragging bone 8 up to null).

It's like the top few parent bones in the chain don't want to bend or something.

All constraint and bone properties are defaults.

Version 12

Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks!

Eric

• Hash Fellow

Yes. I checked the whole chain.

I just tried an 8 bone chain and it worked fine unless "attached to parent" was off on one of them or if one wasn't really a child of a bone.

Kinematic chains only work on chains with no branches. If there's a branch anywhere in you're tentacle that would stop the chain at that point.