Hash, Inc. Forums

Tutorial From Start to Finish

Kurrykid

Can anyone direct me to a tutorial that shows much of the functionality within the same tutorial? I have gone through many of the online tutorials and have a lot of AM videos and books (that I bought off the forum). The problem is, they only take you through certain sections of things. No one really guides you from start o finish and all the steps in between. I am still struggling to get AM into a workable situation for me.

It doesn't have to be complicated...say maybe a football. If there was a tutorial from start to finish of a football with the texture, material, decals (I think that this the right terminology to put like an NFL logo on it), it would be so helpful. To see the steps, one after another would be very helpful for me.

Since there is so much information about AM out on the net, I thought someone might be able to direct me to a helpful area.

Thanks.

Sounds like you are looking for a modeling tutorial only... Is that the case?

If so, one of the TAoA:M tutorials that comes with your book... either Exercise 10: FW-190 Fighter or Exercise 11: Giraffe will show you how to model and texture in A:M.

If this is not what you are looking for... please be specific about what 'steps' you are looking for tutorials on.

Is it Modeling, Texturing, Rigging, Posing, and creating actions... then putting it in a choreography and guides to lighting?

Just a simple 'Start to Finish' leaves a lot to the imagination and I have yet to really master reading minds... :D

Sounds like you are looking for a modeling tutorial only... Is that the case?

If so, one of the TAoA:M tutorials that comes with your book... either Exercise 10: FW-190 Fighter or Exercise 11: Giraffe will show you how to model and texture in A:M.

If this is not what you are looking for... please be specific about what 'steps' you are looking for tutorials on.

Is it Modeling, Texturing, Rigging, Posing, and creating actions... then putting it in a choreography and guides to lighting?

Just a simple 'Start to Finish' leaves a lot to the imagination and I have yet to really master reading minds... :D

Yes, all of the above :(

I guess part of my problem is I don't understand the steps that I need to go through. I think what I have tried to do is action in choreography and it isn't working out very well.

Is the process to build a model, in the model screen. Add all the looks, rigging, etc. to the model and then build actions for it in the action screen? Once you have them would you then go to choreography and "build" your movements through the actions that you have built, as opposed to using the choreography screen to design your movements...clear as mud?

So I guess a listed out process, as far as what you do where, as well as a good modeling tutotial and setting up everything for the model. And then showing how the actions were created and then finally how it is put together in choreography. That's not asking too much, is it? :D

I will check out the FW-190 fighter tutorial...I think I missed that one. I tried the giraffe one and got frustrated with it pretty quickly. I couldn't figure out how to grab both side of the object I created around the head so that when I was changing the CP's, they wouldn't change on both sides of the object.

Thanks for the comments.

• Hash Fellow

I guess part of my problem is I don't understand the steps that I need to go through. I think what I have tried to do is action in choreography and it isn't working out very well.

Maybe trying to do it all-at-once the first time out is too much. Actually, no one tries to do it all at once.

Is the process to build a model, in the model screen. Add all the looks, rigging, etc. to the model and then build actions for it in the action screen? Once you have them would you then go to choreography and "build" your movements through the actions that you have built,
people do that.

as opposed to using the choreography screen to design your movements
I really prefer animating inthe Chor instead of using actions.

So I guess a listed out process, as far as what you do where, as well as a good modeling tutotial and setting up everything for the model.
"The Show some backbone tut" shows you how to put a rig in your character.

And then showing how the actions were created and then finally how it is put together in choreography. That's not asking too much, is it?
If you want to mess around with animation before you get your character done, load up one of the characters on the CD. "Thom" is a good one to start with.

Put him in the chor. move some bones. make some key frames. See what happens.