Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Machine Gun

dude

Last night I started a model of a machine gun. I am using the Colt M4 as reference. I've got most of the basic splining done and I'm now working on details. But for some reason it dosnt look right, anybody have any ideas on how to make it better?This isn't for any kind of project or anything, just for practice/fun :D.

[attachmentid=20728]

Wire frame:

[attachmentid=20729]

post-9147-1158700514_thumb.jpg

post-9147-1158700552_thumb.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dude

I'm not sure what you are using as a ref, but here are some pics for the detail ref's, or even decals.

hope it helps. theres some nice detail on the larger image.

other than that I think its pretty good so far. nice work man. :)

[attachmentid=20732]

[attachmentid=20731]

post-9079-1158702217_thumb.jpg

post-9079-1158702273_thumb.jpg

Thanks Guys. :D Those are both pretty much the reference pictures im using.

here are some pics for the detail ref's, or even decals.

I tried one of the pictures as a decal and it looks great!

[attachmentid=20736]

It looks great, but if you want it to push it further, you'll have to look into metallic texturing (there are some materials on the A:M CD) and lighting.

What do you mean by metalic lighting? Im using a sky-light now, what should I be using?

-dude

post-9147-1158709486_thumb.jpg

Not metallic lighting, just lighting. To get the look you want, you'll need to decide what environment/style you want to emulate--Product shot? Daylight? High-contrast?--and then light your model accordingly.

You'll likely also want to set the specular intensity & size to something appropriate for this type of metal finish, and maybe add some specular maps to simulate imperfections and smudging.

• Admin

That is outstanding work.

Not to downplay the time and talent that went into the one currently on the A:M CD but it is quite lacking in detail. Yours really pluses that one up by at least 80%.

Yours may not have all the detail of the M4s I get to play with but in my estimation it is more than 'close enough'. (I spent most of today inspecting M4s and then later firing M16s at the firing range... long day.).

The decal really goes a long way toward adding the detail that was missing from your first image posted.

It'd be good to model the Bolt Catch and Forward Assist though as they stick out quite a bit.

If you donate your M4 to the Extra DVD I'll make it a goal to model the internal parts to go with it*. ;)

*Not for the Extra DVD but for later.

Dude,

It looks really good but I agree with Luckbat. You should experiment with metallic materials to get a more realistic look if that's what you're going for that is.

Keep up the good work!!!

Just curious, how long did it take you to make it?

Jeetman