Hash, Inc. Forums

Importing 3ds models in A:M12

loserem

Hi everyone,

I need to do an easy animation in A:M (I'm using v12) using a 3ds model of a car that has been given to me. The model has been modelled with not too much polygons (in max I guess) and A:M can import it by using the wizard for importing 3ds models. My problem is that the result after importing the model is not the desired because some "ugly things" appear all over the mesh of the model as if the bias of every spline had been changed.

Is there any other way of importing 3ds models without the appearing of those extrange artifacts? or, are there any tricks for avoiding this problems? I don't need to animate the model itself but using it as a static object.

I hope anyone can help me with this.

Thanks a lot

Hy ddustin, I,ve seen your work with cars a time ago and I think it's simply marvelous.

I was trying to import the model as a model with the import wizard for 3ds. After your words I imported it as a prop and it works much better, but still not perfect. I've tried to import other models as props too and some works well and others don't. In any case, I loose the texture or materials information of the original model.

The car I'm trying to import is a Peugeot 206, an european car. Do you know it there is any library whrea I can find a .mdl of this car?

Here you'll find an image of the car if you don't know:

http://www.peugeot-fleet.de/kunden_modelle...6_limousine.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Hy ddustin, I,ve seen your work with cars a time ago and I think it's simply marvelous.

I was trying to import the model as a model with the import wizard for 3ds. After your words I imported it as a prop and it works much better, but still not perfect. I've tried to import other models as props too and some works well and others don't. In any case, I loose the texture or materials information of the original model.

The car I'm trying to import is a Peugeot 206, an european car. Do you know it there is any library whrea I can find a .mdl of this car?

Here you'll find an image of the car if you don't know:

http://www.peugeot-fleet.de/kunden_modelle...6_limousine.jpg

Thanks for your help.

losrem,

Thanks for the compliments. I wish we could show more of what we do.

Textures don't come in well.

What I do is use a product called accutrans to set the group properties to a decent color.

We also sepparate the wheels from the model (creating one wheel prop) and add the wheel (4 of them into the chor so we can animate them.

I don't have an AM peugeot model.

Let me know if you need more help with this, I can have my son look at it tonight if you don't want to get the softeware (It's only like $20).

If you need an AM model of the car, you could have it contracted. There are some excellent vehicle modelers here.

Hope this helps...

David

I tried importing a .3ds model into a chor as a prop, and it worked quite well. In fact, a whole lot better than importing into a model.

Is there any way to now take the prop in the chor and save it as an A:M model?

Thanks...

Al

No there is not a clean way to do it.

The only way you can save it as an A:M model is import it, then save it.

David

Thanks everyone for your support,

Of course Tralfaz, some 3ds models works well when imported as a prop, but not every model. Some of them show artifacts on its mesh and, of course, they don't show the textures and you can't change the color of the vehicle. When A:M tries to import a texture for a 3ds model it crashes and shows a "#19 exception in the jpeg image to plugin" (what?)...

Thanks ddustin for your information about your way to work with 3ds models. Please, if you could give me a URL where finding information about this accutrans it would be great. Thanks for offering me your help but I don't want to bother anyone more than the necessary =) I could take three or four days and model my own 206 but I'm not overpaid for doing this and this work is more a kind of motion graphics where the car is only a part of a postproduction proccess so I suppose that I'll try to open MAX (this is new for me) and do something with it =) GLUPS.

loserem

Thanks everyone for your support,

Of course Tralfaz, some 3ds models works well when imported as a prop, but not every model. Some of them show artifacts on its mesh and, of course, they don't show the textures and you can't change the color of the vehicle. When A:M tries to import a texture for a 3ds model it crashes and shows a "#19 exception in the jpeg image to plugin" (what?)...

Thanks ddustin for your information about your way to work with 3ds models. Please, if you could give me a URL where finding information about this accutrans it would be great. Thanks for offering me your help but I don't want to bother anyone more than the necessary =) I could take three or four days and model my own 206 but I'm not overpaid for doing this and this work is more a kind of motion graphics where the car is only a part of a postproduction proccess so I suppose that I'll try to open MAX (this is new for me) and do something with it =) GLUPS.

loserem

http://www.micromouse.ca/

I haven't figured out a way to remove the textures from a 3ds model.

Anyone else know how (even if it was from within another program).

We have a bunch of 3ds props that we would want to do this too....

David

I haven't figured out a way to remove the textures from a 3ds model.

Anyone else know how (even if it was from within another program).

We have a bunch of 3ds props that we would want to do this too....

Well, what I do when I want a prop not to load its textures is simply change the textures to another folder changing its relative position to the model. Then, when A:M tries to load the textures, you're asked for the position of this textures. If you cancel this process, the texture load is skipped and you import the model alone.

It's the easiest way I know to do it.