Hash, Inc. Forums

First WIP

Tralfaz

I wanted to take a break from the tutorials and put some of what I have learned into practice. So far, I have modified Schlitzy by getting rid of most of the hair. Built a room, still need to put trim around the window. Added a layer behind the window for the moonlit background. Added a decal to the floor to simulate hardwood, and added some reflection to it. Finally, played around with the lighting (although, I'm still not sure what I'm doing with them).

C & C always welcome.

Thanks...

Al

[attachmentid=20568]

[attachmentid=20569]

shiltzy_room0.jpg

shiltzy_night0.jpg

Nice little scene you have going. Very good for a first wip - are you going to animate it?

One thing that seems a bit off is the scene thru the window - the perspective appears funny with respect to the ground plane - so that it more resembles a hanging painting. It will be less odd when you get the frame around the window - but I suspect it might still seem off.

Isn't working with lights fun?

Great WIP. I wouldn't have known it's your first if you didn't say so.

I love the moonlit scene. You may want to add a blue rim light aimed at Schiltzy to simulate the moonlight reflecting on him? Maybe?

Thanks for the C & C folks.

I am indeed hoping to animate this scene Nancy. I have an idea for it, just have to see if I can make it happen. The background plane is set quite a ways back from the open window, and is at a 90% angle to the ground. It may be the photo itself on the layer. I tried decreasing the intensity of the layer to make it a bit more subtle.

One of these days Dhar, the light will go on in my head and lighting will start to make sense! I added a blue rim light like you suggested. I am always open to any suggestions.

I didn't have time for any further additions to the scene, as my wife and I are going out tonight to celebrate our 22nd anniversary.

[attachmentid=20598]

shiltzy_night2.jpg

Another update.

Added a rug, extra slipper and book for Schlitzy to read. Tried playing with moving the camera and constraints to switch the book from one hand to the other before dropping it on the table. A lot of the extra stuff does not appear in the video right now, due to the longer render times.

As for the gentle breeze, I pretty much followed the waving flag example in the book, except toning down the force of the wind. (Width = 50 cm, Fall-off = 200 cm and Magnitude 50%)

Thanks...

Al

[attachmentid=20874]

[attachmentid=20870]

al_wip_001.mov

al_wip_137.jpg

Another update.

Added a rug, extra slipper and book for Schlitzy to read. Tried playing with moving the camera and constraints to switch the book from one hand to the other before dropping it on the table. A lot of the extra stuff does not appear in the video right now, due to the longer render times.

As for the gentle breeze, I pretty much followed the waving flag example in the book, except toning down the force of the wind. (Width = 50 cm, Fall-off = 200 cm and Magnitude 50%)

Thanks...

Al

[attachmentid=20874]

[attachmentid=20870]

Very nice I just think there is a snap that is happening when you turn on the left hand constraint. I would try to reduce that a little. But very nice keep the posts coming!

Thanks everyone.

Here is final scene rendered in all its glory! I am pretty happy with the way things turned out. It is great to be able to have real reflections and cloth and wind and, well the list goes on and on. And as always, C&C welcome.

Now it's time to get back to the lessons. Looking forward to getting into the modelling portion of the lessons.

[attachmentid=21004]

schlitzy.mov