Hash, Inc. Forums

avi and swf files

Lilchit

Are you importing them into Flash and then 'trace-bitmapping' them to vectors? That not only hurts the image, but your file size will increase as well.

Flash 8 is vastly improved for compressing and compositing video...are you using 8?

If you truly need vectors...Freehand is a good app at conversions.

Are you importing them into Flash and then 'trace-bitmapping' them to vectors? That not only hurts the image, but your file size will increase as well.

Flash 8 is vastly improved for compressing and compositing video...are you using 8?

If you truly need vectors...Freehand is a good app at conversions.

No vectors are not my intentions, just the loading time. If you are trying to get clients by using an avi file, chances are they will leave before the file is loaded. I am not sure what Flash version I am using, it is the MX version.

Flash isn't a size reduction application in itself. The low size/quick loading time you usually see from Flash media is due to the vector based graphics. However, like John Bigboote said, tracing pixels from AVI and convert them to vector won't reduce size most of the time because it will take too much mathematic vector to trace an image correctly. That of course depend on the visual nature of your video, some trace very well visually and the size reduction worth it, but most don't.

Bringing your AVI in Flash as video is another option that has greatly improve with Flash 8, but then the size/quality trade off reality of all other video application like WMP, Quicktime or Real apply here as well. Flash On2 codec is very good for decent quality at fairly low size, but it doesn't do magic compare to other media player.

If all you want is to put video on the web at the lower size/best quality possible, you'll have to search info on different web delivery codec available out there and find the one that suit your need (what is your target audiance? will they have to install a player/CODEC to see your thing? etc). Check what others use (Apple, IFilm, etc) as guideline. Sorenson 3, H264 and On2 are good starting point for me, but it may be different for you.

There is also a Hash2Flash plug-in by Marcel Bricman (nick ZPiDER) that is supposed to be included in the current version of A:M. Haven't try this one yet but it worth checking it out I think.