Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Issues with actions and timeline

GL1968

I am really making headway with this program. After many months of frustration, I am finally making this program work for me. I still have a couple issues with my animations. I know this must be such an easy fix, and is something that is very basic, but I am having alot of troube with it.

I want a 5 second walk cycle. I can only get my actor to walk for 1 second. Isn't there a way to make the cycle loop? I can get other models to do it, but for some reason this one does not. I have checked the manual and can't seem to find an answer for the problem. Is there a certain place on the timeline in which I drop the walk cycle? Is there a setting I need to change?

Problem 2. When I move my models around on the timeline, I automatically see multiple copies of my models appear in the window.

Any reason for this? I think it is a setting.

I thank you for any help I can get towards these problems.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am really making headway with this program. After many months of frustration, I am finally making this program work for me. I still have a couple issues with my animations. I know this must be such an easy fix, and is something that is very basic, but I am having alot of troube with it.

I want a 5 second walk cycle. I can only get my actor to walk for 1 second. Isn't there a way to make the cycle loop? I can get other models to do it, but for some reason this one does not. I have checked the manual and can't seem to find an answer for the problem. Is there a certain place on the timeline in which I drop the walk cycle? Is there a setting I need to change?

The short answer is yes. :P

When you add the action, you can say how long it runs, how many repeats, and you can even run *part* of an action. I believe the walk cycle is something like a second, so just make it repeat 5 times, or let it know its chor duration is 5 seconds.

So, look at the action in the PWS (Project Workspace)

Problem 2. When I move my models around on the timeline, I automatically see multiple copies of my models appear in the window.

I thank you for any help I can get towards these problems.

Huh. That's an interesting one. Do the duplicates remain after you are finished? Can you select both copies? Is this some cool new feature I havent' found yet?

• Admin

It is quite likely that you've got 'Onion Skin' turned on in the TOOLS/Options panel.

Maybe?

Wow! Fast response! Thanks!!!

I tried adjusting the length of the cycle in the workspace, it does not seem to make a difference. I am not at a computer with AM on it right now or I would be more precise with my terminology.

When I right click on the walk action menu in project workspace it gives me different options such as cache, time based, and a few other options. What should my setting be there?

As far as the multiple models appearing on the timeline, I am not sure if I have checked the onion skin option. I will surely check on that when I get home.

This only happens pre render. On the final rendered version they are gone. It does tend to clog up the scene making it nearly impossible to fine tune my actions.

Since I have your attention. I am considering green screening my models, and outputting them to after effects and doing compositing in there, to save render time. Is this a good way to save some render time.

Also is there any way to render multiple scenes at one time?

My old book on Animation Master talks about a compositing option in AM. I don't see that option listed anywhere on the newer version of Anim. Master. Was this phased out?

So many questions!

* Make sure Stride Length is OFF.

* You don't green-screen CG renders. You use alpha channels. Greenscreening is only for live-action footage.

* You can render multiple scenes at once if you open multiple instances of A:M at once, and set the all to render a different scene.

* You may be thinking of multiplane, I'm not sure. Compositing is one of the newer features, and works well.

Does that actually work? Seems like both instances of A:M would be competing over resources.

If you have two processors (or dual-core), and you do two simultaneous renders, then there's no competition for resources. Otherwise, there will be.

That said, if you wanted to render a bunch of stuff overnight or while you're at work, the render slowdown wouldn't matter so much, since you'd at least get all your scenes rendered.

Does that actually work? Seems like both instances of A:M would be competing over resources.

If you have two processors (or dual-core), and you do two simultaneous renders, then there's no competition for resources. Otherwise, there will be.

That said, if you wanted to render a bunch of stuff overnight or while you're at work, the render slowdown wouldn't matter so much, since you'd at least get all your scenes rendered.

RAM is the biggest resource limitation. Swapping is SLOW.

I tried adjusting the length of the cycle in the workspace, it does not seem to make a difference.
First of all, open up the Tools->Options... panel. In the Global tab, tick the "Show property triangle" check box. Close the options panel. Now, in your choreography, click on the action that you dropped onto your model. You should see a little triangle appear to the left of the action's "Shortcut to..." label. Click that triangle - it should reveal such things as the Repeat value. That's all you need to adjust.

Wow! I really am impressed with the help I am getting. I would imagine you guys have answered my questions. I won't know for sure until I get home and test this stuff out. My thoughts on After Effects were that I would do a color key and key out the green. This may not work for cg renders as I have not tried it that way yet. Is there a tutorial on keying alpha somewhere I could go over? Hate to ask too many questions.

I was referring to multiplane. I don't think that is in the newer versions of A:M. NOt sure though. I can't find the menu for compositing in A:M.

I really do appreciate the help. This is great.

• Admin
I was referring to multiplane. I don't think that is in the newer versions of A:M. NOt sure though.

Multiplane has been an integral part of A:M for almost as long as I've been using it.

It split from being separate with Net Render quite a while ago.

Someone else can pinpoint a more speicifc timeframe but I'd say around 2002/v9.5.

• Hash Fellow

My thoughts on After Effects were that I would do a color key and key out the green.

Even if you are compositing in AE you will do better to use the alpha channels A:M can generate rather than render an object against a colored background and try to color key that out.

1) Would your graphics card be the issue with the multiple pre-render instances?

2) You could greenscreen your renders, I tried it already - pick your key color to use in the properties.

But definately ALPHA channel is the way to go using the appropriate File type render -PNG/Targa

I want to thank everyone for their help.

I bit the bullet and upgraded to a new video card, and bought some more memory. Wow!!! What a difference!!!! I love this program again!! All my problems are solved now. No more wierdness in animating. The renders are fast!!! What was taking me 12 hours to render is now rendering in 10 minutes. WOW!!

BTW. I went ahead and did a color key in After effects that looked pretty good. I will surely do the alpha key next time, as I imagine the quality would be better and easier too.

I have been working on this program for so long, and am finally getting it to work like I want it to. I have to say this a big moment for me. Thanks again!!!! :lol:

I am ANIMATING!!!

1) Would your graphics card be the issue with the multiple pre-render instances?

2) You could greenscreen your renders, I tried it already - pick your key color to use in the properties.

But definately ALPHA channel is the way to go using the appropriate File type render -PNG/Targa

Its my understanding that vid card does nothing for render times. Rendering to a file, that is. On screen preview is all vid card.

I forget my source for this. I think it was another forum...

Go ahead and let me know if the truth is otherwise.