Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Ace of Spades

It's been a while, but I had this image of the playing card knights from Alice in Wonderland, and I wanted to put 3D Painter through its' paces.

I have to say I really like 3D Painter and its integration with AM. That plus the fact that there's a new version of Mirrorsplines for AM13 really made my day. And when did Hash add the mirror all smartskin option? It's really cool too. :D

Currently the model only has a color and a displacement map, I'll probably add a reflectivity map tomorrow.

CardKnightPost.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth, I think that looks pretty incredible. Technically beautiful, and I love that it's a very original take on an oft-tried idea.

If you tried a version of all of Alice in Wonderland (although I'm not sure if that was the inspiration here), I'd definitely give it a look.

Cheers!

Mark

• Admin

John you've got to be the poster child for 'Economy of Splines'.

I've never seen anyone do the things you do with such simple geometry.

Its always a treat to see your posts because you never fail to surprise and inspire.

This latest piece looks like something out of 'Jason and the Argonauts'.

Very cool stop motion look to that rendering.

• Hash Fellow

This latest piece looks like something out of 'Jason and the Argonauts'.

Yeah, you need to make clip of yourself battling that.

Fine looking model!

What's the cause of the creasing weirdness on what look like regular 4-point patches, and why doesn't it crease the render? Or maybe it does and the textures are hiding it?

[attachmentid=20106]

card.jpg

Well all of this sort of stuff is making me itch to get 3DPainter! I have always wanted a tool like this (never did like laying out UV maps). Nice work John, although I am very intrigued by the render quality - did you do this with radiosity or HDRI? Or did you use a batch of low strength lights? I haven't been using AM13 much so it is still pretty new to me…

Really cool usage of the displacement John! I can't understand how he looks so detailed without any distortions though. In my somewhat brief expirience so far the painted Dmaps in 3D painter were exhibiting artifacts. You projection painted these on the model from different angles?

Thanks all...

Robcat:All I can think of is that the screenshot's from my tablet pc which has very limited realtime 3d capabilities. The render isn't creased at all.

Gazz: one keylight and ambient occlusion with image based lighting. It's a bit lazy, but it provides a simple effective illumination.

Dre4mer: The model used 3dpainter's automapping and was painted with projection paint. I haven't noticed the distortion...do you have an example?

I've attached a couple of renders the first is the base mesh while the second is the base mesh with displacement Dre4mer : Are you using AM13? The image takes advantage of its vastly improved displacement capabilities.

[attachmentid=20150][attachmentid=20151]

and to show what the decals look like:

Colour

[attachmentid=20152]

Displacement

[attachmentid=20153]

CKNoMaps.jpg

CKDisplace.jpg

SpadecolourA.jpg

SpadeDisplace.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

3DPainter is "INCREADIBLE"!

It's tools like this that will continue to make Animation Master the best 3d program on the market.

Many thanks to PIXOSAUR and 3DPainter.

I will definitely continue to support this program like have been supporting AM since 1998.

All the best!

Goose.