Hash, Inc. Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

christianboutin.com

Animation Master to Ogre3D Pipeline

I've searched the forums a bit for that and I've found a few hints here and there. I'm about to define the artistic pipeline for a new game (http://archangelchapter.com). It's using the Ogre3D engine and so far I've tried MAX, Blender and Milkshape. MAX costs an arm and a leg and Blender is downright confusing and counter-intuitive. Milkshape is a bit too basic. I've been away from A:M since 1998 but I've re-installed '98 recently and it's like riding a bike. Everything feels natural and at it's place. I've seen some of the newer version and it all seems good.

However there is no direct path between Hash and Ogre. What is the most effective path to do this? And what are the additionnal steps that must be done in the other tools? Is it possible to model, bone and texture in A:M and then just use other tools as a conversion pipeline? Or do you model in Hash and then have to bone/material in other tools?

Anything involving MAX is out of the question, since it brings back the issue of it's tremendously high price. Blender or Milkshape would be acceptable passthroughs, depending on the number of steps required.

I would really, really appreciate being able to just shell out 100$ to get back on my A:M bike rather than continue ripping my hair out trying to figure out Blender.

So any real-life experience with that very problem would be appreciated.

Christian

BTW I saw there used to be a AM->Ogre converter for mesh and bones, but development stopped before material conversion was integrated. Any news on what happened? Any chances the source might be available. Thanks!

Not that familiar with the process (and definitely not Ogre3D... visited the site once though but didn't see a process that caught my eye).

If you can get .X files into Ogre3D (which I believe you can) then you can use a plugin to get you from A:M through there to Ogre3D).

I know some people have used Milkshape in order to get Models translated out of A:M too.

This has been very effective for some people in the past.

Gaming gurus unite!

Ogre3D is awesome. Best graphics engine out there. In a few months I've been able to get my game off the ground and get a prototye rolling in no time. Previous engines I tried (torque, DarkBasic) didn't fare so well.

Unfortunately Ogre doesn't import .X, probably since it's a hybrid DX/GL engine. It has it's own format (.mesh) and exporters for many 3D programs out there (Maya, MAX, XSI, Blender and Milkshape) but unfortunately not for Hash. Looks like I'd need a 2 steps process. From Hash to .X, or .OBJ, or whatever, then import into Blender or Milkshape then re-export. Kind of a pain.

If I could get a few people to testify if it worked great for them and exactly what the necessary steps are I could be tempted to upgrade my good old A:M.

To me A:M and Ogre would be a perfect match. To me both know exactly how to design an interface and make things intuitive and user-friendly.

I guess as a programmer I could write the plugin myself, but there is such a thing as spreading myself too thin. I do have a game to program :lol:

Not that familiar with the process (and definitely not Ogre3D... visited the site once though but didn't see a process that caught my eye).

If you can get .X files into Ogre3D (which I believe you can) then you can use a plugin to get you from A:M through there to Ogre3D).

I know some people have used Milkshape in order to get Models translated out of A:M too.

This has been very effective for some people in the past.

Gaming gurus unit!

I'm not a 'gamer'...but could'nt the utility from obsidion (thats all I know) help this guy?

Yes, but as he said, Ogre can't handle *.x-format and the way over milkshape was commented by him as not so good...

So I don't know another solution...

As far as I know there is no Plugin for Ogre...

If you want to go the game-road you should consider to buy the *.x-plugin from Obsidion.

It seems to be the best way to go to other programms in the gaming sector.

It can export the mesh, the animation and the textures...

*Fuchur*

Thanks for the recommendations but unfortunately the use of Ogre is not up for debate. It's the absolute best engine out there (and it's 100% free and open source) and the game's programming is too far advanced. So the Obsidian plugin wouldn't help. I'll keep an eye out, see if anyone takes up the task of writing a plugin from Hash to Ogre. In the meantime I'll try other things.

Thanks for your responses.

Cheers

Christian

Your best bet for that is to find out how many use ogre and then how many of those who use AM. Obsidian for a long time only had an exporter from AM to .x format, because there are a lot of AM users on Windows who wanted to make games using A6 (and coincidentally, a lot of other engines use that format). It was a good business case for the programmer.

Then, Torque started to really take off, and there were a lot of Mac and PC guys who wanted to go to that, so Chris at Obsidian finally came out with a Torque exporter. Had it been Mac only users wanting it, this may have not happened.

So, how many people use Ogre, how long has it been around, and how many AM users would plan on going that route?

Answer those and you may have be able to get someone to make a Hash to Ogre exporter. Hash has all the free sdk stuff available to work on the AM end. You need to then get Ogre to let you have their sdk for free and see how you (or a programmer) can get the two to work. Notice the operative word is FREE.

edit: Oh, didn't pay attention that it was free and open-source. So now you only need to take care of how many people would buy the plug-in.

I established a working pipeline:

AM --> X --> Fragmotion --> Ogre

Cheers, Heiner

That's great news Heiner. Congratulations. So Fragmotion imports Direct X geometry, textures AND animation , and exports geometry, textures And animation to Ogre? That sounds like a terrific pipeline.

Textures, Geometry, Animation ... it is all there after the export using my pipeline.

Cheers,

Heiner

Hi there,

In the past I was using Milkshape and another exporter as my pipeline for A:M->Ogre. There were many limitations but very simple meshes could be brought across. In an effort to make my efforts in a:M more effective, I tried Heiner's method. Unfortunately, I am getting A:M terminating problems if I select variable patch breakdown instead of one of the three fixed tesselation numbers. I am using A:M v13q (the most recent I believe) and the version of Obsidian Games' .X export plugin that was current as of yesterday. Any thoughts? Heiner - are you using the variable patch tesselation or one of the fixed ones?

Bill

Hi there,

usualy i am using a fixed patch breakdown, because i am aiming for really low poly characters.

Cheers,

Heiner

I was about to suggest Fragmotion. But I see you found it already :)

Have been using it for about a year.

Great software, IMO. I bought it.

Milkshape doesn't compare with Fragmotion. I am using Gamestudio A6, and ofter use Fragmotion to replace the Gamestudio Model Editor. It's a real 3D swiss army knife.

I would like to look into other engines, but I found them overwhelming. I don't think I want to code a game from the ground using C++ or learning C#. I am some kind of programmer - but I've seen what Programming makes to the human mind (mine) and don't want that again! :) I'm too busy with the art!

Emilio