Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

a penguin

Penguins have always been a favorite animal of mine. Perhaps it because they look like they are dressed in formal wear, or maybe it is just that they are physically unable to steal my french fries (unlike one of my least favorite animals: seagulls). Either way, the other day I drew some penguins for a comic (here if you're interested) which got me thinking about penguins once again. So I've decided to try making a basic model of a penguin... mainly because I'm not good enough to make a non-basic model :)

Attached is the 1st step... plan of attack is adding some feet, shaping the head a bit, shaping the rest of the body slightly, fixing the eyes, possibly adding some feathery eyebrows, decaling, then rigging.

post-5080-1156603714_thumb.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Go Ross!

I realize the style of your penguins is with long beaks but he kind of looks like a kiwi bird. ;)

The color is unmistakable though.

Make sure you think a little bit about how he'll walk as short stubby feet are quite hard to animate.

You may want to give him at least little legs.

Keep it up!

Yep, looked kiwi birds up on google images... and you're definately right about the beak.

As for the walk I was thinking about a very waddling-like motion... I'll try making a walk cycle later tonight to see how it works out, then edit the feet as necessary.

Thanks for the help!

post-5080-1156707382_thumb.jpg

I've been experimenting with sweeper a little bit since I'm planning on making a lot of the penguin's environment with sweeper.

Here's a not-serving-any-purpose-really image I put together to practice using sweeper.

post-5080-1157060071_thumb.jpg