Hash, Inc. Forums
Julian

Uniform sphere

Last year, I posted in this thread about making a sphere with a uniform CP density. I've been able to improve upon the "volleyball" sphere by using beveled edges to eliminate the dead-end splines at the corners. Here's a more or less uniform sphere with 1,352 patches (i.e., 60 CPs around the equator):

[attachmentid=20008]

[attachmentid=20009]

This primitive can be used in applications such as cloth simulation, or it can be used in conjunction with Marcel's Conform plugin (US$15.00) to simplify the geometry of an irregularly-shaped polygon model such as an asteroid or small moon.

post-334-1156554866_thumb.jpg

UniformSphere_1352patch.zip

Wow... nicely done Julian... did you write a program to generate that?

That would be a great addition to the 'primitives' plugin in A:M if it was.

Then just have it so you can specify the density of patches.

Really good job either way!

Wow... nicely done Julian... did you write a program to generate that?

No, as I mentioned in the old thread, I'm still using the Spherize plugin from Emilio Le Roux.

Oh, I thought of something else this can be used for: optics -- minimizing distortion in the image when the model is used as a spherical lens or mirror. I haven't tried this myself, though. Conceivably, this type of sphere can also be used as the cornea of an eyeball, but the "basketball" topology would probably be simpler.

wouldnt there be problems with the 3 point patches? When ever i work with them, the usually love doing their own thing, instead of forming with the patches around them.

I would have thought a three-pointer surrounded by six four-pointers would be OK...?

I would have thought a three-pointer surrounded by six four-pointers would be OK...?

People use 3-point patches all the time without problems. Just try them in your situation.

I've just created three variations of this model with lower patch counts: 152, 296 and 488 patches. It looks as though Porcelain helps make the meshes smoother at these resolutions, so all of the spheres included here have Porcelain embedded.

[attachmentid=21336]

[attachmentid=21337]

post-334-1160631141_thumb.jpg

UniformSpheres_152_296_488.zip

Man! I almost fogot to send a Big THANK YOU after downloading your models, They are very handy and well thought out..............

Mike