Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Mirror Surfaces (Any surface that reflects)

Kaijin

Well I am still very new to A:M but I have finished the workbook and practiced a little bit on my own but am still very new. Anyways...I am running the newest version which is version 13 point something, Well what my question is, Is how would I go about making a mirro or reflective surfae? Like say a typical mirror in a room or a mirrored reflection off of a car or sunglasses? Do I have to manually "Paste the mirrored image" over the surface? Oris there a way to get the computer to "know" that it is a mirrored surface that reflects? That way it will be better and more accurate with movements than if I did it manually. Because I really waana use this effect and make a character with sunglasses that reflect the landscape and more.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin

Kaijin,

The Materials Laboratory is just the thing for you.

I didn't spot any information on reflective surfaces that jumped out at me but its not difficult to find.

The online Technical Reference has good information too. (Its also on your A:M CD)

For mirror surfaces what you'll need is to either adjust your surfaces setting's reflectivity settings or use a refective material.

There should be several good ones in your Library (and CD too).

I'm pretty sure there is one called 'Mirror' but that might be on the Extra CD.

One of the most important things to remember is that a reflective surface MUST have something to reflect.

You can add object to your scene to get this but one of the most effecives means is to use an Environment Map. Some of the reflective materials on the CD will already have that.

Rodney

Referenced Links:

The Materials Laboratory

Online Technical Reference (Recommend you use the very top link)

Or is there a way to get the computer to "know" that it is a mirrored surface that reflects?
In your model, select those patches that you wish to be reflective. This will create a group called 'untitled' (you might wish to rename this group for better identification). Just as you can set a group's colour (see TAoAM's "Group Colour" (page 84 in my copy)) you can also set reflectivity.

You might not notice the reflectivity when you render in the modelling window as reflectivity needs something to reflect to show up.

first make somthing like a spere, and select all the control points. and untitled group will come up name it what ever you like.

[attachmentid=19875]

goto surface in the properties ad click the "not set" word right acros from reflectivity.

[attachmentid=19876]

then put it in the choreography, make shure you put multiples of them so you can tell its reflecting. then just render.

[attachmentid=19878]

here i'll post the project file

[attachmentid=19879]

btw, i had nothing better to do at the moment so i thought i'd just be descriptive

post-8313-1156212996_thumb.jpg

post-8313-1156213152_thumb.jpg

post-8313-1156213217_thumb.jpg

reflect.zip