Hash, Inc. Forums

BRIAR ROSE TRAILER

pequod

Some of you might remember a long time ago I announced my new project entitled 'Briar Rose'. Well, after many years I've finally got together enough shots to make a trailer. Actually, the first 3 minutes is more a teaser for the rest of the short.

And of course everything (3D) done in Animation Master, versions 8.5 to 11.1.

Here are the direct links:

http://www.hash.com/users/milos/BRIARROSE_SMALL.mov

You have the option of a large Quick Time movie at 81 Mb (800x450) or a small one at 12 Mb (400x225).

I've used the new H.264 codec so you'll need QT7. If you are on a PC it's better to view the large trailer with a player like VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc) , rather than QT which plays it very slowly.

[attachmentid=19686]

post-335-1155762664_thumb.jpg

post-1010-1354219885.jpg

post-1010-1354223426.gif

post-1010-1361791057.gif

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Stephen!

Do you have any idea how long everyone has been waiting for this??

I'll give you a clue... its almost as long as you've been making it!

I can't even say 'Brair Rose' is outstanding as the word doesn't even begin to relate.

The words that come immediately to mind?

"Watch this trailer!" :)

There should be big roll out events for releases like this!

Hi, Stephen!

Oh, that was definately worth the wait!

I want to see more! Quite frankly I'm more interested in your stuff, than I am in anything that Hollywood or Pixar has planned. Sad but true. :D

I love how Briar skewers the apple. Is that Mosey as cupid?

Sincerely,

Carl Raillard

Heh.....you should set up a site like Rust Boy and get people to fund the project to finish it. Obviously it's a quality production (the best ever out of AM?...mustn't forget the Soul Cage ones though.)

There are a few points I would critique, but given the over all quality, I'll let them pass.

Well done and keep us posted on progress!! (This is the first I knew of the project aside from seeing the characters here and there)

Oh and I hope you're posting this on the other forums.

PS Are those actors doing the voices?

Y'know... Maybe it's just me, but I'm not seeing what all the hoopla is for. Yeah, it's an animation, and it looks okay. You guys seem to act like it's the second coming of DaVinci or something... Really. :D

In all seriousness, fantastic work Stephen! I remember seeing models and stuff way back. Glad to see it in "teaser" form! Keep up the good work!

Stephen, Well I guess we now all know where you've been!

Busy animating your butt off!

I am so excited about your work, it looked just great!

Excellent, excellent & excellent!!!!

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Really great animation. I haven't seen A:M hair very much, but you seemed to have a great handel on it.

Can I get an idea of how many hours it took you to produce, such as: Modeling, Animating, Lighting, Rendering, Post Processing. 5400 frames of animation at 800X600 would have taken 900 hours on my computer (at 10 minutes per frame), and you seem to have some complex shots. Fantastic work.

• Hash Fellow

Wow! Fabulous stuff!

And what a great teaser. It really does make me want to see more.

It's so good looking I half-expect some hollywood types to swoop in and ruin it.

So what's the ETA on the whole thing? How long is the finished work intended to be?

It's great to know this thing is still being made (for some reason, I thougbt it was dead in the water).

You have created a definite feeling of depth in each shot; great use of colour and lighting there. Edges have a fantastic quality to them. The characters move in a marvellously camp way without going over-the-top.

Ooo-ahh, I do like that there west country accent. Both voices suit the characters well. Keeping it British with the use of Wham! Heh, I found myself studying Gordon's dancing to see if I could detect any George Michael influence :D

Marvellous movie Mr. Millingen.

Steve.

WOW!!!

I can not add anything else to the already overwhelming comments everyone here has made. You have a wonderful and inspiring piece of work in your hands and I am glad to have seen what you have thus far. PLEASE keep us all informed of all the goings on. I second the call for a website to document your progress and solicit funds for your project(s). Truly amazing.

Just to let you know.....It was your Mosey shorts and body of work that convinced me to buy A:M many years ago. You have now revitalized the creativity and ambition to further my projects yet again. THANKS!!!!

-Dimos

P.S. If you EVER need help please do not hesitate to contact me. I would love to work with you sometime.

Thanks everyone for the great responses. I've just posted it over at CGTalk, so I hope they like it as much as you chaps do........ but you know how snooty they can be.

It is a great relief to finally have something to show, sorry it's taken so long, but there are only so many weekends in the year in which to work on this stuff.

Although I have a few more shots which didn't make the cut for this trailer, there won't be any more adventures with Briar Rose and Gordon unless I get some serious funding!

I plan on creating a web site devoted to her escapades, which should shed some more light on how the trailer was made and the story created by my friend Edward Blake.

Yes, that is Mosey reincarnated as cupid, I intend to give him cameo roles in all my animations from now on, just like Hitchcock used to play walk on parts in all his films.

I must thank Carl Raillard for teaching me how to rig and for the use of his chatter buster rig.

It might seem odd to say, but I would now like to spend more time just animating. This project was perhaps only 40% animation, lighting and re-rendering for example took inordinate amounts of time. Just recently I bought a LCD screen, and to my horror the extra brightness and clarity of the monitor revealed a number of pass throughs. For a mad moment, I considered re-rendering some of the scenes.... however you have to draw the line somewhere, otherwise nothing would ever see the light of day.

Dimos - I'd be honoured to one day work with you, we must chat!

Okay, if any of you wish me to answer any geeky technical questions I'd be only to happy to oblige...... I love to hear details myself.

Stephen, we're all blown away here at Hash. You've topped yourself again, by a factor or 10 at least!

I've booked a flight to London so that I may shake you by the hand sir!

I was going to go to work the booth at MacExpo, but after seeing the new animation, that's just secondary to meeting you again. :-)

We would very much like to show this in our booth at our upcoming trade shows. We will make sure everyone knows you are the talent behind this. A:M was the conduit.

You know, I'm going to stop typing and watch it again!

ddustin - Probably a better description is 'anal' ;)

I rendered practically all of it on one computer, while on a second computer I did the work.

Jim - it also helps if you don't have a life too, and it gives me the week to render out frames that have hair in them :D

• Admin
Yes, that is Mosey reincarnated as cupid, I intend to give him cameo roles in all my animations from now on, just like Hitchcock used to play walk on parts in all his films.

That is such a great touch. A great little extra for all those that follow your work.

I'm having a hard time thinking of questions.

Trust me... that's rare.

Added: I've seen some of your early character designs and animation.

That website will be most welcome by me.

Rodney

I can't get over how great that is!!!!

How did you get started in animation?

From (an aspiring Pixar animator), ;)

Teresa

Edit- I know I've seen those characters in a past image contest for the Hash mascot

( http://www.hash.com/imagecontest/Oct02/Oct02winners.asp )....are you going to re-enter them again in this upcoming mascot contest or would you consider it???? The timing couldn't be more perfect! :):):)

Edited by TeresaNord

Well, if you ever do get funding and you want to make that movie, don't forget us all here on the forums.

One little thing that really stands out is the arrow heads on cupids arrows.....heart shaped. I've never seen that before and it's so obvious.