Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Love the video tutorials

Wizaerd

I love the video tutorials, they make learning some of the more complicated aspects of A:M way easier than reading written tutorials with either no pictures or static pictures. I learn far better by seeing and doing than reading, so was hoping I could find one specific to modeling, and rigging a hand for animation. I've read all the available tutorials, and have actually come up with a fairly decent hand model (using David Rogers book specifically for that tutorial)...

However, I'm running into some problems with rigging it, and the written tutorial to rig it is hard to follow. If I could see it being done, I'd have a whole lot more luck...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

You said you've seen them all but just in case 'all' doesn't include everything...

You have checked out David Simmon's tutorials on rigging a character with the Squetch Rig?

Here's a link to the first of the 5 tutorials in the Squetch Rig series. You'll find links to the other 4 there.

The Squetch Rig uses Steve Cleary's Hand Gizmo. You'll definitely want to check it out.

You said you've seen them all but just in case 'all' doesn't include everything...

You have checked out David Simmon's tutorials on rigging a character with the Squetch Rig?

Here's a link to the first of the 5 tutorials in the Squetch Rig series. You'll find links to the other 4 there.

The Squetch Rig uses Steve Cleary's Hand Gizmo. You'll definitely want to check it out.

I hadn't looked at it yet, thinking it was probably more complex than what I needed at the moment. I'm not boning or animating a whole character, just a robotic arm, with a three fingered hand (not counting thumb)... But I'll go take a look now...

Thanx!

However, I'm running into some problems with rigging it, and the written tutorial to rig it is hard to follow.
If this is a sticking point, consider the possibility that a very simple hand rig might suit you perfectly well.

For example, my hand rig has no controls for curling/uncurling entire fingers - it's no more than a rudimentary skeleton. I much prefer to handle each finger bone manually as I feel I have much better control over them, especially when delicate movement is required. When I've used curl mechanisms I've always felt the need to tweak the individual bones too for fine control, so why not work with the finger bones directly? (That was a rhetorical question - I realise other people will prefer to work otherwise.)

The only extra control my hands have is an ON/OFF pose which controls finger and hand bone visibility, so I can reduce visible clutter when I don't need to access the fingers. (And I also set the manipulators limited to 'rotation only', and then only on appropriate axes.)

• Admin

I think Stuart may have the right idea for you.

If its that simple a requirement you should be able to lay out your bones, automatically assign them (via Right Click) and adjust their heirarchy in the PWS for an adequate solution.

That's what I've been doing myself but look forward to digging into more complex rigging in the future.

David's Tutorials will be a goldmine of information we finally take that plunge.