Hash, Inc. Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eptigo

Adobe audition - change voice

i want to change a persons voice from a guy to a girls,

using adobe audition

but i have no idea as how to do this

can anyone give me some pointers,

or point me towards a website that can help me?

ill keep searching and trying

Well...

I looked over the features and I don't see anything specific that addresses this task.

I know there are specialty tools out there that do this. I bought one a while back... but it was not up to the task. The output was awful.

Most likely there would be a plugin or add on for Audition to do this.

I read about a company who had programming libraries that could be lisenced for use in other applications. But that was as far as I got.

I would say don't get too excited about the idea of eliminating the need for voice talent... the results of these "tricks" aren't as great as you expect.

;)

-vern

I used to use that app... it used to be called "Cool edit".

I don't know if the menus are the same anymore, but look for something called transform>Time/pitch>Stretch. then choose "pitch shift(Preserves tempo)"

For a quick and dirty sex change, try changing the "Pitch" just a littel bit up or down.

it's not great but with some voices it works well.

i want to change a persons voice from a guy to a girls,

can anyone give me some pointers, or point me towards a website that can help me?

Female voices are typically up to half an octave higher pitched than male voices but there's a lot more involved. So, solving your problem depends on the source of your guy's voice - if you already have the guy's voice then pitch shifting is all you can do, really, but if you haven't recorded the guy's voice yet and have some control over how things are said, then there are things you can do. For example, female voices are generally a lot softer than male voices, sometimes a lot 'breathier' (think of Marilyn Monroe). Choice of words should be considered too, as well as inflexion. Females tend not to swear as readily as males. Google for such things as "difference male female voices" for more hints.

A very funny thing happened to me recently.

I recorded my sister when she visited a few weeks ago. I needed dialogue for "Ethel the Magical Fairy" for my Happy bear short.

Her 5 year old son just had to be involved and was caught on the recording.

Later I used Audacity to change the pitch of her voice (sounds great! Free software! Woohoo).

I noticed something odd when I was experimenting... if I changed the pitch of my nephew... lowered it... he sounded like an adult!!!

It was creepy! It was like I went ahead in time and heard him speak when he was... 40 or something.

Yes.. the pitch change only... works well only on some voice recordings. There are dedicated programs that can do a lot more... changing subtle frequencies and tempos to really create a new voice... I haven't found one that doesn't produce horrible "artifacts" in the sound file though.

I had the same dream... use software and my own voice... well... eventually you realize... it is still your voice... just pitched higher or lower.

;)

-vern

This is a tough one I've come up against. Recently I purchased a $100 utility called Voice Changer from http://www.audio4fun.com/ -- Diamond Edition. It works to a point and I have gotten 4 good female voices out of it (from my own). I have gotten many more different sounding male voices out of it (from my own). This is of course an attempt to avoid hiring voice actors. You might look at this. Use to be that they offered a free try out version but this version does not offer you many options and I could not really get any usable female voices out of it.

This subject was discussed in another thread a while back and one person claimed to get wonderful female voices from another product. This product was more money then I wanted to spend and also it was not a digital solution, that is to say, you needed hardware beyond a PC. You might search for this. As I recall I provided several settings I had used in 'Voice Changer' that had worked for me (Note: for 'my' voice).

Hope this helps,

Rusty

I beleive one of the game consoles had a voice changer "built in" for online gaming and chatting.

This was a while ago, but I did check into this since it apparently was very good. The core code used was licensed from another company. At the time there were no standalone applications that incorporated that specific code or whatevery they are, into it. It used a revolutionary new concept for changing the voice. It was very high quality and could really do a good job... so they said... there was no way to demo it since there were no "applications" at the time. I since lost interest in this idea.

There are "hardware" devices that can change your voice... I suppose those would be used as the recording is made... or could be used to filter prerecorded sound... but you still lose a generation since it would be analogue to analogue.

I think we have been spoiled by the science fiction of movies like "Scream" where you could change your voice into anyones voice with a little gizmo.

-vern

Samplitude(quite expensive), Soundforge(300 Dollar or something like that) or even Audacity (free) could help you there...

All of the programms have many filters for frequencies, FFC, Pitch and much more... that can help you, if you know how you have to change a voice of a person.

Take a look at it...

Several Tips I know so far:

- Use Pitch to make the voice "higher".

- Use for example an FFC-Tool to lower the amplitude of the deeper frequencies

You have to apply the filters by hand, but it should give you a more or less nice output if you give it a bit time.

*Fuchur*

Yes, this topic comes and goes. Rusty's got the right thing:

http://www.download3k.com/MP3-Audio-Video/...nd-Edition.html

$100.oo

I've researced this a bit, but haven't bought yet. There are LOTS of them out there, but you have to be careful...most just change voice 'on the fly' for chatrooms, Internet Telephony, and such. What you want to be able to do is record thru the software to your HD and save 'takes' as wavs or mp3 files. As far as I know...this software does that. The 'freeware' trial version is a waste of time...highly crippled!

Sound Forge can only change pitch. That does not cut it. What you want to change is the 'timber' of your voice. I've heard 'Mac' guys say the proprietery ''I-something' software can do this easily, but when I press them for a demo nothing comes of it...may be something there tho if you know a Mac guy that can work his box. LOVE their ads!

FFC tool...what is that?

LEST WE FORGET... all recording will only be as good as your MICROPHONE. I've found the mic on my camcorder works best because it has a power supply (pre-amplification) You can spend $100+ on a great mic and still get tons of HISS...why? No pre-amplification!

BOTTOM LINE: Find a cool chick with a great voice who responds to direction and will say what you want how you want it...and when you do...get me her phone number.

Yes, this topic comes and goes. Rusty's got the right thing:

http://www.download3k.com/MP3-Audio-Video/...nd-Edition.html

$100.oo

Hey! I bought this!

Mine is version 3... and it is pretty dog ugly to be honest. Maybe the newer version is better. I will have to see if I can get the upgrade.

The one I have could process and save external audio files. The trouble was the fact that the audio has to run through... what ever player you use... and the voice changer "intercepts it" and modifies it.

My computer is no speed demon... but it isn't a slouch either... but the process was impossible. The sound lag time was so bad... and the voice changer couldn't keep up. Plus the sound quality was absolute crapolla.

Your first impression is... "Hey! This might work!" But when you actually have good speakers or headphones with high quality expectations... the artifacts in the sound were a deal breaker.

Anyway... I am going to see if I can get the upgrade... maybe it has improved.

-vern