Hash, Inc. Forums

2001 rig?

steve392

In the 2001 rig what is the shoulder bone's doing ,there is no cp's asigned to it and I was wandering how do you get the arm/shoulder to work properly .I would like to try fan bones in the shoulders ,elbows and knees ,is this a feasable way to go ?.I thought this rig would be easier to learn as I'm lost on the sqoash rig lol

Think of it as the clavicle. There is no such thing as a "shoulder bone"--the humerous is connected to the scapula and clavicle.

Depending on how realistic your model is, you may want to add a scapula to the end of the clavicle, and use a smartskin relationship to guide it's position as the shoulder moves up,down,forwards, and backwards...

Thank's Will ,its not a very realistic model but just want to make it better to animate and hopefully learn a bit more on rigging ,at the moment the shoulders are not working very well when I move the bicept.I wish I had that cd you done from sigraph with the smart skinn on but the postage is allmost as much as the cd for some reason I realy don't understand ,but thank's

Steve, you certainly will be able to animate just fine with the 2001 rig.

if you want an even simpler set up, go to the "free section" on my site

www.3dartz.com

and download the chapter on putting in a stripped down version of the 2001 rig.

it will at least get you started.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Steve,

you might get some additional help from this page ... 2001 Animation Rig from Eggington Studios. It contains four sections, 3 dealing with setting up, applying and adapting the rig to your models, and the 4th (the one I think you'll get the most out of) details how the rig system works.

Some images of the interface may look a little different, this is because the tutorial has been around for a few years now and was obviously done in an earlier version of AM. However it's not so different that you won't be able to follow along.

Gerard

• 5 weeks later...

:( Hopefully Mike Fitz will see this soon, I have used his basic setup from his free section on my arms - everything went to plan. When I set up my legs - aaaaaaiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have my model in what is a natural closed leg knees together pose. However, once I assign my constraints it bowed my models knees out in an inhumanly painful position. I tried seeing what my model would look like if the (anatomic bones) ran paralell to the rig the pose looks unnatural. see attached images.

Do I have to have my model splined out with the legs going straight down for this set-up to work? Or is there some kind of work around? Thanks-

LEGS_NATURAL_POSE.jpg

LEGS_UNNATURAL_BONES.jpg

Hey Ungla....

good timing:)

Well, I don't see the immediate problem with the setup. Is one of the images you posted the problem image?

It's important to have things lined up to some degree from the front view.... that's not tosay that

the legs can't slant inward like I think you are doing. That can be done, but keep the legs bones straight

relative to one another.

Actually, looking at your model, thats not really a natuaral pose at all.

If that were a real person than the knees the shins would be bending outward and that would mean an injury to the knee....

Stand up straight and try to stand with your knees together, you can feel your thighs start to turn to compensate for the inability of the knee to bend the shin outwards.

At least on me.

So what's my take.... straighten the legs out a bit, or just keep the geometry bones and rig bones in a straight line so they don't move when the constraints are turned on.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

I actually started trying the pose out on myself AFTER I posted. You are correct, it is a "knock kneed" pose which is from a photo reference. I am going to have to move the legs around some and try to get the sculpt to look right. I didn't screen capture the really horrific issue after the constraints, I only posted a modified 'pose' of straighter legs. I will post again soon on my progress. You da man!