Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Render as Lines controlled from a pose?

MMZ_TimeLord

Okay, here's the problem.

I've created a new on/off pose relationship/control for a model. What I want to do is turn on 'Render as Lines' for a group and then set it off in the off position.

Here's the rub, the control or setting 'Render as Lines' is NOT visible from the pose... even after I click the 'show more than drivers' icon.

Can this be done? or am I stuck using some kind of workaround, such as a separate model for the item I want rendered as lines and just turning it on/off in the choreography?

Any ideas would be welcome... thanks!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what effect you are trying to get but it the lines are like hair you could compress them with the pose they extend them. .... |||||.....||||

Or you might be able to use the old decal trick

[attachmentid=19416] :unsure:

[attachmentid=19417] :unsure:

Again not sure what you are trying to do

vase.mov

vase.zip

John,

What I'm trying to do is be able to turn off or on 'Render as Lines' property setting for a group in my model. You can't access this setting in either the Choreography or Action (Pose) modes.

I had the idea to be able to make a user property on/off pose to control the 'Render as Lines' setting for a particular group, so I could make these diagram lines turn off or on during the choreography.

Hope that makes it a little clearer.

Hmmm, you might have to create a relationship in order to do this.

BUT I'm not sure that the software will allow this.

I'll take a looksee and get back with what I find.

But basically a pose that turns on and off the render as lines.... okay...

Edit***

Okay I see that you've tried this.... and so have I. What I found was that the property is still

not available even after creating the relationship.....

Anyone have any thoughts on this...

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

After playing around with this for a bit I do not see a way to turn the render as lines on or off in a pose.

I'm initially thinking that it's a no go.... but if someone else has some info on it, jump on in!

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

How about an expression? Although I think you still have to have a control or setting available to use an expression right?

Right, I don't see anywhere to edit an expression when right clicking on the "on/off" of the Render as lines thing.

What control, if any, in the properties of the "render as lines" could make it dissapear, even when active.

I couldnt get any of them to do this(color, line thickness, etc)

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

It depends how you set this up, if they're separate models of just lines use the models surface properties to turn it transparent and if it's a group within a model of other groups just apply a blank material on it and set the transparency on that. Both options can be done in a pose.

It depends how you set this up, if they're separate models of just lines use the models surface properties to turn it transparent and if it's a group within a model of other groups just apply a blank material on it and set the transparency on that. Both options can be done in a pose.

Hey Mark,

I'm not sure if I got myself lost when I read what you wrote and what I thought Jody what trying to do....

I think your method would just turn the whole model invisible?

and

I think Jody wants to have the lines appear and dissappear on the surface of the model via a pose.

Is this correct?

But if it's just a simple transparancy of the full group then I've made a mountain of a mole hill:)

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

I'm assuming Jody want to hide his orbit path lines of the sol system model he is making for the extra DVD. So he has orbit lines that he wants to turn on/off. If the orbit lines are separate models, then he can set the transparency on the models surface properties, not in group that renders as lines. If the orbit lines are a group in the planet model, he can add a material to the group that renders as lines and set it to be transparent. I don't think the line group is attach to any part that will matter, it's just an orbit path.

You are Right mtpeak2, I just wanted to turn off those splines "Render as Lines" setting with a pose.

I will probably use sweeper to sweep a 4 point circular patch through all the orbits so that there is an actual mesh to show.

Then I can simply change the transparency of that mesh to 100% when I want the lines off.

Thanks to everyone for making suggestions and trying to figure this out for me.

Cheers!

Why would you add more geometry, I just told you, you can add a new material to the 'render as lines' group and set the transparency through the material, there is no need to add more geometry. I've tried it and it works. I guess you didn't read my whole post.