Hash, Inc. Forums

Mouth

Shelton

• *A:M User*

David

after the rig is installed, what bones are actually tied to the cps of the mouth, and eyebrows? I have been playing with muscle poses but I wanted to play with all aspects. and are any of the pose sliders and face interface tied to any of the bones for the pose?

Steve

David

after the rig is installed, what bones are actually tied to the cps of the mouth, and eyebrows? I have been playing with muscle poses but I wanted to play with all aspects. and are any of the pose sliders and face interface tied to any of the bones for the pose?

Steve

The lip CP's are tied to the "lip_upper_center_geom", "lip_upper_right_1_geom", "lip_upper_left_1_geom", "lip_upper_right_2_geom", "lip_upper_left_2_geom", "lip_right_corner_geom", "lip_left_corner_geom", "lip_upper_center_roll_geom", "lip_upper_right_1_roll_geom", "lip_upper_left_1_roll_geom", "lip_upper_right_2_roll_geom", "lip_upper_left_2_roll_geom", "lip_lower_center_geom", "lip_lower_right_1_geom", "lip_lower_left_1_geom", "lip_lower_right_2_geom", "lip_lower_left_2_geom", "lip_lower_center_roll_geom", "lip_lower_right_1_roll_geom", "lip_lower_left_1_roll_geom", "lip_lower_right_2_roll_geom" and "lip_lower_left_1_roll_geom" bones. You can find them under the "lip_base_main" child bones. The bones with "roll" in the name are for curling the lips. Set up your mouth to move like you want when using the "Jaw", "LowerTeeth" and "Maxilla" bones with the non "roll" bones, then use the CP assignments you came up with to determine which roll bones to use on which CP's. To do that, you rotate the "roll" bones the direction the lip will need to curl and then mess with the percentages between each roll bone and its' parent lip "geom" bone. The curling poses are in the "Face_underlying_controls/lips" section of the pose sliders. I just make an action that gets all of the lip curl the way I want it and then use the bone rotations from that to make the different lip curling poses for each section of the lips.

The up/down movement of the lips is controlled by the "Face_underlying_controls/lip/mouth_ud_individual" poses and the left/right movement is controlled by the ""Face_underlying_controls/lip/mouth_lr_indvidual" poses. You'll have to adjust the amount of movement on a character by character basis, but there are some values in there at installation.

After you set up the poses in the "Face_underlying_controls" section, you use those sliders to set up the poses in the "FACE Interface" section.

The eyebrows are tied to the eyebrow "geom" bones that are under the "head_geom_front/eyebrow_base" bone. I set the eyebrow poses up by making two Actions, one with the eyebrows moved to as high as I want them to go and one with them as low as I want them to go. I use those Actions to determine the settings for the eyebrow poses in the "FACE Interface/Upper Face Poses/Eyebrows" section of the pose sliders.

I hope that helps, Steve. I haven't made that section of the installation tutorial, I'm fighting to get to the point where I can get to it again.

David

Steve

The lip CP's are tied to the "lip_upper_center_geom", "lip_upper_right_1_geom", "lip_upper_left_1_geom", "lip_upper_right_2_geom", "lip_upper_left_2_geom", "lip_right_corner_geom", "lip_left_corner_geom", "lip_upper_center_roll_geom", "lip_upper_right_1_roll_geom", "lip_upper_left_1_roll_geom", "lip_upper_right_2_roll_geom", "lip_upper_left_2_roll_geom", "lip_lower_center_geom", "lip_lower_right_1_geom", "lip_lower_left_1_geom", "lip_lower_right_2_geom", "lip_lower_left_2_geom", "lip_lower_center_roll_geom", "lip_lower_right_1_roll_geom", "lip_lower_left_1_roll_geom", "lip_lower_right_2_roll_geom" and "lip_lower_left_1_roll_geom" bones. You can find them under the "lip_base_main" child bones. The bones with "roll" in the name are for curling the lips. Set up your mouth to move like you want when using the "Jaw", "LowerTeeth" and "Maxilla" bones with the non "roll" bones, then use the CP assignments you came up with to determine which roll bones to use on which CP's. To do that, you rotate the "roll" bones the direction the lip will need to curl and then mess with the percentages between each roll bone and its' parent lip "geom" bone. The curling poses are in the "Face_underlying_controls/lips" section of the pose sliders. I just make an action that gets all of the lip curl the way I want it and then use the bone rotations from that to make the different lip curling poses for each section of the lips.

The up/down movement of the lips is controlled by the "Face_underlying_controls/lip/mouth_ud_individual" poses and the left/right movement is controlled by the ""Face_underlying_controls/lip/mouth_lr_indvidual" poses. You'll have to adjust the amount of movement on a character by character basis, but there are some values in there at installation.

After you set up the poses in the "Face_underlying_controls" section, you use those sliders to set up the poses in the "FACE Interface" section.

The eyebrows are tied to the eyebrow "geom" bones that are under the "head_geom_front/eyebrow_base" bone. I set the eyebrow poses up by making two Actions, one with the eyebrows moved to as high as I want them to go and one with them as low as I want them to go. I use those Actions to determine the settings for the eyebrow poses in the "FACE Interface/Upper Face Poses/Eyebrows" section of the pose sliders.

I hope that helps, Steve. I haven't made that section of the installation tutorial, I'm fighting to get to the point where I can get to it again.

Thanks David

That is a huge help. I had tied the wrong bones to the mouth. I had started out with the geom bones and then played with poses and before you know I had messed things up. Oh well, I will start again on the mouth tonight.

Steve

Ihave attached the geom bones to the brows and and now I want to move the brows. A really stupid question is where is the bone to move the eyes once they are attached. Is it the u/d and r/l bone? I will try that once I am back at the computer

Steve

Ihave attached the geom bones to the brows and and now I want to move the brows. A really stupid question is where is the bone to move the eyes once they are attached. Is it the u/d and r/l bone? I will try that once I am back at the computer

Steve

I use the eyebrow bones to move the eyebrows and forehead in sort of a manual way. The reason for the bones is to help maintain the curvature of the skull while moving things around. The bone positioning is pretty much like how I did it in the "A Face Rigging Method" tutorial. I make a couple of Actions to check out where I want the positions to be for the eyebrow poses in the FACE set of poses. The three things you need to know to set those up are, eyebrows down, eyebrows up and eyebrows squeeze. Then, the positions of the bones are divided up into the available poses in FACE. The eyebrow bones only have limits on them that keep them from rotating on the "Z" axis.

Hope that helps, Steve.

Thanks David

I have started with all the poses now and I am having a blast. I have completed the eyebrows with a muscle pose and want to start on the lips later tonight. I have completed the eyes and cheeks and other areas.

How do you make the eyebrow bones visible to move them in an action window? I know this is talked about somewhere in the tutorials but I have not found it. For instance, when you open an action window the only bones visible are those that the rig installed. I wanted to make the brows a bone pose but could not get the eyebrow geom bones to show up.

Steve

Thanks David

I have started with all the poses now and I am having a blast. I have completed the eyebrows with a muscle pose and want to start on the lips later tonight. I have completed the eyes and cheeks and other areas.

How do you make the eyebrow bones visible to move them in an action window? I know this is talked about somewhere in the tutorials but I have not found it. For instance, when you open an action window the only bones visible are those that the rig installed. I wanted to make the brows a bone pose but could not get the eyebrow geom bones to show up.

Steve

To unhide the eyebrow geometry bones in an Action or Pose, you turn off the "Show_and_Hide_Rig_Components/hide_face_setup_bones/hide_face_geometry_bones". That also unhides the cheek, ear, nose, jowl and tongue geometry bones. I'm not sure if I got to that part in the tutorial yet though...I probably haven't since I haven't done any face weighting in it yet.

If you've done muscle poses for the eyebrows, you wouldn't need to use the bones. I don't know, you may use some sort of hybrid method that I haven't thought of. If you don't need the bones, just delete them to get them out of your way. Remember though, if you use muscle based poses, muscle movement moves in straight lines and won't follow the curvature of the head unless you add in more key frames.

Hope that helps, Steve.

You are right that was not in the tutorials. I have the bones there and have done some hybrid poses. But there are many other poses I want to use the bones to give a nice arch. Any way thanks for all the help. I will have some uploads this weekend with some of the face poses. I have had fun. The fear a messing things up is going away and I am feeling more comfortable every time I boot up AM.

The next challange is to rig a cow a horse and a dog and not to mention a chicken!!!

Steve

David

I have decided not to use the bones on the lips for movement. I had selected to unhide the mouth l/r and lip geom. I have tried to hide them again but the rig will not hide them. I have selected the bone and to turn it on but it will not turn on the hide feature. Help

Steve

I can turn them off in action window and chor but I want it to be a default. How do I get thenm turn off.

David

I have decided not to use the bones on the lips for movement. I had selected to unhide the mouth l/r and lip geom. I have tried to hide them again but the rig will not hide them. I have selected the bone and to turn it on but it will not turn on the hide feature. Help

Steve

I can turn them off in action window and chor but I want it to be a default. How do I get thenm turn off.

If you don't need them, it's safe to delete them. If you hid or unhid them in a pose, then it will require tracking down where you did that and delete it out of that pose.

Hope that is helpful, Steve.

David

thanks for the help. I am not sure that I want to get rid of the bones yet. As the poses are not working correctly. I can create a muscle pose and the copy key frame, and paste mirror in the other relationship window but it is not working correctly. Sometimes the slider is reversed and does not start at 0 but rather 100. Or the copy relationship copies items from the previous copy key frame. Anyway here is a shot of the model with a mouth pose that does work.

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23254

Steve