Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Spider-man Image

Well, I finally decided to finish this image. I didn't have any time so I made a simple background.

Everything was made, rendered, and composited (A:M Composite) in A:M. Except for the blue gradient background, text, and some very minor paint fixes on parts of the constume webbing.

I don't really know how to use Composite very well, but I'm fairly happy with my results.

Bloom to the spec layer. Another Bloom to the rest. Tinted my ambient gradient. And some other stuff.

I probably could have spent a little more time on the pose, but I decided enough was enough and just wanted to get it finished.

I also posted this in the Showcase forum, here:

http://www.hash.com/stills/displayimage.ph...cat=0&pos=1

If anyone feels like looking there.

So now in another year I should be making him again, haha.

Thanks for looking!

EDIT: I removed the older pic because it seems people were looknig at that one, but not the new one.

spider_man17.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great model, Jeff! Wonderful textures, too.

As mentioned, the pose is the weakest part of the image. Try to think in terms of a silohuette when posing a comic character or any character for that matter. You want the pose to read quickly even if you can't see any detail. Mainly, I'm referring to the leg on our right. And a twist to the upper torso would add some excitement also. Everything else is very professional looking!

Jim

Great work Jeff. I agree....it's like he can't make his mind up whether he should relax on his nice comfy web or spring into action. :D

Also, does Spiderman not have webbing on his palms?

Thanks everyone! Yeah, I knew the pose could use some work (always have trouble with posing). I still think it looks alright, but I could have exaggerated that twist alot more. I still kinda like the legs, but if I followed the silohuette rule -- it needs some work, haha. Maybe I'll rework the pose at some other time in the future.

The pose is based off of an image that Patrick posted in my WIP Thread here:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?s=&am...st&p=170708

As you can see, his silohuette is alot better. I will see if I can get it closer to this in the future. It's just that my spidey isn't as flexible. :)

I made the costume webbing with 4 point lathed tubes which I placed over a roto of my flattened model. I could then apply the Normal Mat to get the Normal output. In Photoshop I just flipped my color of the webbing to make the webbing white and the background black for my specular map.

The movie version does not have webbing on the palms.

Thanks again everyone.

No problem, Jim. In fact, I'm glad for the crit. I will probably end up tweaking the pose now and posting a better image -- hopefully :). And that's thanks to you and the others here.

I was planning on making it final, but what the hey, hey. It always helps to here from others. I wouldn't have gotten as good at modeling as I am now without the great crits from others.

Thanks again, everybody.

There is quite a big difference between comics posing and CG character posing... Thing is, comics character is heavily stylized to begin with...

Second thing: Spider-Man is THE FLEXIBLE comics charater. So, whatever rig you use it must be mucho flexible and able to make any pose imaginable...

Another bit of critique: Spider-Man is way too much centared, and light part of the backgound is to left, which somehow messes the emphasis of the composition, so it feels too heavy... just my feeling...

Other than this: Lovely model, amazingly textured!

Drvarceto

The Spidey image that I posted in your WIP was/is a 3D model that Scott Sava made for his Spider-Man mini-series. I just inked a test image for him.

Scott actually super-deformed some geometry (like his foot) and used more of a fish-eyed lens for his image.

Did you render your image with AO? I really liked the direction of your AO renders.

Love the webbing coming out of the web-shooters, is that geometry?

- pjc

Trajce: Thanks alot for the comments. Yeah, I'll just have to "force" the pose by cp tweaking. The background gradient is like that because of the direction of the light. I figure it would be lighter there. It doesn't really feel heavy to me, though I understand what you're saying. I do agree that he is probably a little too centered. I think I'll move him more to the right of the pic (his left). Thanks.

Patrick: Thanks alot for the comments about my render. It's nice to know that I'm improving in at least one area, ha. Yes I did use AO. I also tweaked it all in A:M Composite. It is actually really nice. I haven't even sctratched the surface and it gave me good results. I also rendered at 1.1 gamma. I think next time I'll go with 2.2 and see how that looks.

I did do some deforming of him in modeling mode of the chor. I and I am also using a camera lens at 25 focal.

The web is all geometry with a high spec and a gradient for the edges. Made of tubes that I wrapped around by hand because my math sucks and I didn't know how to do it in duplicator or extrude wizard, haha.

And thanks for posting that picture in my WIP thread.

Thanks again

Since a crit already came out....

My feeling on the pose, other than all the great looking aspects to it, is that spider man looks way to stiff

to be doing what he's doing and his legs look really close together, like he has super narrow hips.

I'm wondering if we saw him from the side, would his back be straight or curved?

Looking foward to more images!

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Thanks alot guys.

I already tweaked the pose and am working on re-rendering it. Should be posting an update sometime today. The hips look narrow because of the focal length of the camera. I do like that look though, so I guess it's just personal preference on that one.

Thanks again.

Ok, this is as far as I am going iwth this one, haha. You know what they say when a picture is never finished, so I am just going to leave it like this. I got it alot closer to the pose from the ref that Patrick supplied in my WIP thread. I think I could keep going with this, but I'm pretty happy with now.

I also updated the first post with the new pic and a new link to A:M Stills for the new one.

Thanks again everyone. I hope you like it.

Jeff B.

spider_man17.jpg

Thanks, Mike. I was having fun with A:M Composite on this one. I wish I had more RAM though, it eats like chocolate :).

Did I read that you're actually using A:M Composite!? OMG! Stop the presses... Folks! Someone finally used A:M Composite! (I'm sure there's a gift in this for you, Jeff - Hmmm...)

Thanks alot, everyone. I don't know what it is about Spider-Man, but I can guarantee I'll be remaking him in another year or so, haha.

Martin, I've been singing the praises of A:M Composite ever since I saw Patrick's Superman thread and decided to render out a finished image of my Spider-Man. I decided to try A:M Composite again even though I couldn't get it to work the first time.

Little did I realize how easy it was to use. I just have to do some reading on all the different Post Effects and how all the differnet layers can work, but it makes the image jump from using it.

Added Bloom to just the spec layer and a totally different Bloom to everything else. And I added a Tint to just my Costume Gradient layer. Come on, that's cool! :)

Thanks again :)

Thanks alot for the crits, Jim! I don't know if I said this before, but it was seeing images made by you that first got me to buy A:M -- along with the awesome features at the unbeatable price, haha.

Did I read that you're actually using A:M Composite!? OMG! Stop the presses... Folks! Someone finally used A:M Composite!

It actually worked pretty nicely for my Mars contest entry as well. Getting that reflection at the strength/coloration I wanted it at would have been a truly colossal pain otherwise.

And also - the Spidey is sweet.

dude can you please post up that model file I really wanna animate it!!!

I haven't decided for sure, but I might be giving it to the Extras DVD. The rig is Anzovin, but I am pretty sure I set it up horribly, haha.

I'll think about it.