Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

eye targets

Shelton

• *A:M User*

I have installed the face rig in a model and I am having trouble with the eye targets. The eyes are crossed. If I take the enforcement to "0" the eyes are straightened. If I take it to 100 they cross. I have tried to edit the relationship but I am not having any luck. Any help

Steve

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to take a wild stab at this, as I'm not really familiar with the face rig - but assuming you have the eyes (eyeballs with bones) set up correctly - it sounds like the eye target is too close to the face - move it away from the eyes & I would guess they would uncross.

You are correct in the action window I can move them and correct the location. But what I am trying to do is have the set up so I don't have to do that each time in action or chor. When I examine the targets in bones mode they appear to be correctly lined with the eyes. But when I open the the action they are crossed.

Steve

I found it. The eyes were poniting at the eye traget and no the individual eye nulls. I then translated the individual eye nulls to the eye target and bingo. Sometimes things are right in front of you and you can not see it.

Steve

Are you sure it wasn't that the compensate needed to be reset? Mark Strohbehn has a tutorial on the forums here that shows the eye setup...I would have to hunt for it. If you search, you should find it.

Hope that is helpful.

Hi David

It could have been but when I looked at the constraints the eyes were ponting at the eye target rather than the right and left nulls. . I just enetered the aim at constraint to the eye nulls and then translated them to the eye target.

Did I mess it up? It seems to be working. I am using the 5-30 rig you uploaded for just the face, not the whole rig. I have notice several of the poses were messed up in this version. There where 3 poses that caused the entire face to distort. I deactivated those poses and everything seems to be working.

Steve

Hi David

It could have been but when I looked at the constraints the eyes were ponting at the eye target rather than the right and left nulls. . I just enetered the aim at constraint to the eye nulls and then translated them to the eye target.

Did I mess it up? It seems to be working. I am using the 5-30 rig you uploaded for just the face, not the whole rig. I have notice several of the poses were messed up in this version. There where 3 poses that caused the entire face to distort. I deactivated those poses and everything seems to be working.

Steve

That should have worked without a problem...which poses were messing up? Just like the face rig in the Squetch Rig, it should only need some resetting of compensates and a couple of minor adjustments. I show quite a bit in the installation tutorial about setting up the face rig itself...I haven't gotten to the fine tuning and CP Weighting yet.

I don't know, what you did might work fine...it would depend. For the eye targets, I put them in front of each eye with the center null at the same 'Y' and 'Z' locations on "0" on the 'X' and then reset the compensate on the aiming in the eye constraints pose within the FACE controls. Did you need to add a pose? That should be in there already.

I'll take a look at the 5-30 face rig again to be sure...maybe I messed up something in the conversion, Steve.

------------------------------------------

EDIT

------------------------------------------

I just checked the 5-30 face installation, it appears to work correctly....unless I'm not understanding something.

David

I did not add a pose but here is what I did do. I went back to a previous version of the rig and reinstalled the bones and this time for what ever reason the eyes targets are right in line.

Sooooo, I don't know what I did but it is working now.

Steve

A side note. I had been saving progressively throughout the creation of the rigged character. As I started to go back to previous versions of the rig all the updated information was included in the rig. Is this because I saved the model out and then begin saving the different versions and the software wrote back to the model?

Never mind! I wanted to say that 'everyone' is a little cross eyed because their eyes focus on one spot. But I don't know this to be absolutely true. Many people are, I know that. However, it may be that the strong eye looks right at the focus target while the lazy eye does not (ergo no cross eye) and what it sees is filtered out. In closely observing people (I've been doing this for a few years to help with my realistic models) it seems like everyone is to me but... maybe I only think to notice this when a person is (my wife's theory and a good one). My wife is, and my daughter and son too. Its a subtle thing but there... the closer the focus target the more noticable it is. Its a somewhat heated debate between my wife and I and, I could be wrong. I've looked around the web but can't find an answer (or the answer I'm looking for LOL). I guess if something didn't exist... you wouldn't find it!!

Wasn't that an interesting 2 cents?

Rusty